www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 1st, 2014, 10:30   #46
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
I very much like what I see. I might not sell that extra Jetta I have in back after all.
I have six questions:
1) Are all the parts you mentioned in the first list included? Meaning, I don't need to go chasing a tailgate or rear window, do I?
2) How has access to the fuel tank changed?
3) Is the full rearward travel of the seats retained?
4) What are the dimensions of the cargo area?
5) If I come pick up the parts myself, how many trips to pack it in the back of a Golf?
6) Will the kit accomodate a 2-dr Golf?
Hi again guys! Sorry for the delay work and life gets in the way!
1. Yes, all the parts needed for the build are included. The only stuff you'll need to source that I can think of will be windshield adhesive and other easy to find materials.
2. Access to the fuel tank has not changed. The evaporative emissions system really needed to be kept in one piece so that the truck can still easily pass inspections. To get at the tank:
Remove 8 fasteners.
Loosen 4 fasteners.
Pull piece of aluminum bed out.
Remove fuel tank access panel.
Profit!

3. The cap behind the door is made precisely for this purpose. The seat goes back as far as it went before. Naturally, the seat will have to be fairly upright when it is in that position, but not uncomfortably so. With the seat all the way back and the steering wheel all the way forward, there are 32" between the headrest and the top of the steering wheel.

5. Good question. If you remove the front passenger seat, maybe two trips. If you bring a small utility trailer, one trip. We will be making the molds next week. We have at least a month of work left before we will be shipping complete truck kits.
6. The 2-door Golf question comes up a lot. The 2-door would be a cool project, but we spent a lot of time mocking it up and we were not able to make the proportions of the 2-door to look good. With a shorter bed and longer doors, the 2-door Golf really looks 'cute'. That's not to say that someone else couldn't do a better job.
You would be signing up for significant custom modifications to our fiberglass body and to the subframe we provide. Mount points would need to be cut off and moved. Gutters under the bed may need modification. However, buying our kit would get a custom builder MUCH closer to completing a 2-door truck than if he were to start from scratch. If the goal is AWD, it might be a lot easier to find the components in a junkyard and swap them into a 4-door shell. The kit is a weekend build with a 4-door, but probably a couple months of hard work if you start with a 2-door.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 10:45   #47
manual_tranny

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

We have new pictures of the UTE prototype! We will soon be making molds and going full production.

Old August 1st, 2014, 17:07   #48
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

That thing looks FACTORY!! AWESOME!!!

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:40   #49
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Welcome back, Manny!

Everything looks good. I appreciate the candor in your answers. From everything I see, it appears I will just need to convince myself to pull the trigger at this point...

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:42   #50
75r90rider
Veteran Member

Wow. This looks really good. I used to have a black 83 pickup, so reminds me totally of that. Pickup from back in the day:

Just so I'm clear and sorry if I missed it...the donor is a Jetta sedan or is it a wagon? The reason I ask is that it's about 100x easier to find a cheap donor sedan around here than wagon.

Thanks!

Last edited by 75r90rider; August 4th, 2014 at 11:44.
75r90rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 12:15   #51
manual_tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75r90rider View Post
Just so I'm clear and sorry if I missed it...the donor is a Jetta sedan or is it a wagon? The reason I ask is that it's about 100x easier to find a cheap donor sedan around here than wagon.

Thanks!
Any 4-door Jetta or Golf from 1999-2004 will work. The Jetta Wagon should work, but of course they are 'rare' and so it is unlikely that many folks will actually cut those up.
Old August 5th, 2014, 16:19   #52
Daekar
Veteran Member

I have a MKIV wagon that I have no intention of cutting up, but I wanted to chime in to say that this kit looks GREAT! I'm really impressed, and can't wait to see customer pictures when TDIClub members get ahold of these!

Keep up the good work!
Old August 5th, 2014, 19:27   #53
dremd
Veteran Member

Just wanted to say congrats on the autoblog publicity.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/smyth...ta-ute-pickup/
2006 Sprinter
2014 JSW (Went back to VW)
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 06:06   #54
shizzler
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Solid 50, daily life.

Manny,

Wow, that looks incredible. Has me contemplating doing some very wrong things to my fine Jetta sedan. (or at least, now I can never sell it, and someday this WILL happen - please don't ever go out of business/production)

I know you said you expect the curb weight to drop a bit, but any figures on that yet?

I see the sunroof is retained on your prototype car. Can it still tilt open? Is it easy to disable the sliding opening of it? I presume you had to ditch the sliding shade/cover?

Is there any usable storage behind the front seats in your cab? Too bad the recline feature is that f&*ckin stiff twist-knob. (maybe 2-dr seats would work better?)

And just note from your marketing standpoint - there are a lot of us out here who despise facebook and try not to use it. You guys need to post regular updates on a blog site within your website!
Old August 7th, 2014, 06:38   #55
manual_tranny

Thanks, guys!

We also had a little writeup on Motor Trend and GAS2
Old August 7th, 2014, 06:51   #56
manual_tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzler View Post
Manny,

Wow, that looks incredible. Has me contemplating doing some very wrong things to my fine Jetta sedan. (or at least, now I can never sell it, and someday this WILL happen - please don't ever go out of business/production)

I know you said you expect the curb weight to drop a bit, but any figures on that yet?
About 100lbs lighter, but we are still working on our manufacturing/tooling so we are not sure of the exact weight of the truck built with all production pieces. Our prototype is heavy with the extra materials needed to get the shapes right.

Quote:
I see the sunroof is retained on your prototype car. Can it still tilt open? Is it easy to disable the sliding opening of it? I presume you had to ditch the sliding shade/cover?
The sunroof can still tilt open, but it cannot slide back. We are still looking for a solution to keep it from sliding back. I haven't had time to investigate whether the controls go. Since the key can shut the sunroof, I am hoping we will be able to reflash hardware. Worse case, there is probably some way to mechanically modify the knob so that it is physically restrained or disconnected from sliding in those positions.
Quote:
Is there any usable storage behind the front seats in your cab? Too bad the recline feature is that f&*ckin stiff twist-knob. (maybe 2-dr seats would work better?)
There won't be much storage behind the seats unless you're short! If I remember correctly, you are on the tall side, right?
Quote:
And just note from your marketing standpoint - there are a lot of us out here who despise facebook and try not to use it. You guys need to post regular updates on a blog site within your website!
It's not a bad idea for us to have a feed that at least copies our Facebook posts to a non Facebook site. I'll look into a non-FB update solution.
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:37   #57
shizzler
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Solid 50, daily life.

Eh, not too tall (5'11"). Looking at your cab, I'm not too worried about comfort - looks great.

Shouldn't there just be a wire up by the sunroof control switch one could clip to prevent the rear sliding operation? Or is there a chip controlling the sunroof motor? I have no idea how that contraption works, haha.

I forgot another important question though! What about trailer hitch compatibility? If I were to turn my sedan into a UTE, I'd for sure be wanting to tow small utility trailers around. Looking at your pics, it seems that an OEM hitch would do no good at all. Are you guys working on a custom solution? A 2" receiver hitch would be the cats a$$.
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:52   #58
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:

I forgot another important question though! What about trailer hitch compatibility? If I were to turn my sedan into a UTE, I'd for sure be wanting to tow small utility trailers around. Looking at your pics, it seems that an OEM hitch would do no good at all. Are you guys working on a custom solution? A 2" receiver hitch would be the cats a$$.
Perhaps behind the rear license plate? It could be on a hinge to flip it down out of the way.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 15:20   #59
manual_tranny

We are going to be busy making the truck kit a reality for a little while. For the first year or so we do this truck kit there will be very few if any accessories.

Once our kits are rolling out the door without effort, we will start on making accessories a major part of our business!

We're also going to be doing a 5th wheel hitch for a custom trailer. Stay tuned!

Last edited by manual_tranny; August 7th, 2014 at 15:22.
Old August 7th, 2014, 18:50   #60
Nozzleman
Veteran Member

Subscribed.

2002 Ford Ranger ALH. IT'S ALIIIIVE!

1978 Ford F250 4x4 Supercab 6bta, NV4500, Dana70/60.

Last edited by Nozzleman; August 7th, 2014 at 19:13.
Nozzleman is offline   Reply With Quote