www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old May 10th, 2014, 05:48   #31
duwem
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Used to get 45, but big wheels, big brakes and a roof rack, 36mpg now

Learned something ELSE now too, VW makes a pickup truck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Amarok
Panzer FMJ Skid Plate, PP520's on Flow Balanced Injectors, H&R 28mm Rear Swaybar, Eurosport X Brace, TT Shifter, 42DD shifter Bushings, exhaust restriction reduction, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, TT front control arms, spindles and brakes, 17" wheels w/ Potenza Summer Tires
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:08   #32
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwem View Post
Learned something ELSE now too, VW makes a pickup truck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Amarok
Shhh! That is not available in these United States so there are members here who think it should not be discussed/mentioned. Though that is shutting the barn door after the horse has gone since the Amarok has been discussed in the Forums (mainly in TDI News/Tech) for years now.

As for the kit ute in this forum, I wonder exactly WHAT models can be used for the basis? If my wagon was damaged enough, could I use it?

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)

Last edited by romad; May 10th, 2014 at 07:10.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 14:27   #33
duwem
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Used to get 45, but big wheels, big brakes and a roof rack, 36mpg now

That could be the long box option
Panzer FMJ Skid Plate, PP520's on Flow Balanced Injectors, H&R 28mm Rear Swaybar, Eurosport X Brace, TT Shifter, 42DD shifter Bushings, exhaust restriction reduction, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, TT front control arms, spindles and brakes, 17" wheels w/ Potenza Summer Tires
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 15:38   #34
romad
Veteran Member

Or a crew cab version!

The fleet:
Old May 10th, 2014, 16:22   #35
bzeien
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
As for the kit ute in this forum, I wonder exactly WHAT models can be used for the basis? If my wagon was damaged enough, could I use it?
Like their G3F mid-engine roadster kit, I believe any 4-door MKIV will work for the Smyth UTE conversion.
bzeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 17:38   #36
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

But a 2 door Golf would potentially make for a "club cab" / short bed, and that would be of more interest to me than the rear window headrest and lack of recline when using a 4 door.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 11:29   #37
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

I have a couple of 2-dr Golfs that need a new home, but unfortunately they both have misbehaving autos also. Hence, if I do a 5-sp conversion and a conversion to pick-em-up, then maybe it would be worth keeping one.

Actually, Romad, the point is that a comparison is moot since in all the years I have been on this forum, people have been asking for a lot of VWAG product not offered here. Do you know how many have come because of this forum's generated interest? That's right, exactly ZERO. And how would such a comparison be done anyway? You don't have those Vw trucklets here, and they don't have the smyth conversions there, so...???

Last edited by Powder Hound; May 13th, 2014 at 11:34.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 11:38   #38
romad
Veteran Member

I wonder if you can rent a Saviero in Mexico and drive it around these United States for a trip?

The fleet:
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:59   #39
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

You'd just need to clear it with the insurance company. I think you can get non-compliant (EPA, DOT) vehicles in for a short trip, but you have to make absolutely sure you get it back in time. IDK if the rental company would be happy with the contract though.

I have driven my car across going south for a day. My insurance company limited the excursion to a short distance (25 miles?) from the border, or separate insurance would have to be taken out, and that insurance is danged expensive.

PH
Old May 14th, 2014, 21:19   #40
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
But a 2 door Golf would potentially make for a "club cab" / short bed, and that would be of more interest to me than the rear window headrest and lack of recline when using a 4 door.
That was the problem with the Rabbit pickup. No room in the cab. I would jump in a minute for a stretch cab with a 6 ft or even 7 ft bed. Not interested in a 4 or 5 foot bed. Love my 91 Jeep Comanche long bed - 7.5 ft and 2200 lbs payload.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 17:05   #41
2many diesels
Veteran Member

'''That was the problem with the Rabbit pickup. No room in the cab''

What do you mean no room in the cab? I have been driving rabbit pickups for over 20 years, and have no problem with them. Load 2000 lbs and go from 1000 feet to 4000 feet elevation....and a 6 ft bed. Ive owned more than most have seen.
I can understand if you are over 6 feet tall, they get a little cramped, that was my sons problem. (his first car was a diesel caddy).

I'm watching the Smyth jetta..thing. Not sure how pissed the wife will be when she comes home and sees her jetta cut in half..

John.Jackson... interested in a diesel for that Jeep???? contact me.
2many diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 17:43   #42
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2many diesels View Post
'''That was the problem with the Rabbit pickup. No room in the cab''

What do you mean no room in the cab? I have been driving rabbit pickups for over 20 years, and have no problem with them. Load 2000 lbs and go from 1000 feet to 4000 feet elevation....and a 6 ft bed. Ive owned more than most have seen.
I can understand if you are over 6 feet tall, they get a little cramped, that was my sons problem. (his first car was a diesel caddy).

I'm watching the Smyth jetta..thing. Not sure how pissed the wife will be when she comes home and sees her jetta cut in half..

John.Jackson... interested in a diesel for that Jeep???? contact me.
He means there is no room in the cab. Its a fact. The rabbit is a TINY car, and all the pickup did was put a wall right behind a completely upright front seat. I know you think it is comfortable, but I too have experience with them - I'm average build, 5'9. Can I fit? Yes. But, there is no room in that cabin.
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 20:51   #43
FJ40Jim
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '01 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: 44-52

That's why I sold my diesel caddy. It ran & drove fine, but I'm 5'11" and leggy, so always had the seat all the way to the rear, and the seatback against the rear of the cab. And if there was a large person in the passenger seat, we would have to decide who was going to put their elbow where. The wider and taller Mk4 body will be a much more comfortable cab. But I don't know if I would want to chop up a functioning Mk4 just to lose the back seat....

I will reserve judgement for a finished product & price.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:30   #44
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

I would like the same. And I asked several questions a while back, none of which have yet been answered.

Manual_tranny, you still awake? Hello?... Bueller?....
Old July 2nd, 2014, 14:50   #45
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
I would like the same. And I asked several questions a while back, none of which have yet been answered.
Powder Hound wrote:

I very much like what I see. I might not sell that extra Jetta I have in back after all.

I have six questions:

1) Are all the parts you mentioned in the first list included? Meaning, I don't need to go chasing a tailgate or rear window, do I?
2) How has access to the fuel tank changed?
3) Is the full rearward travel of the seats retained?
4) What are the dimensions of the cargo area?
5) If I come pick up the parts myself, how many trips to pack it in the back of a Golf?
6) Will the kit accomodate a 2-dr Golf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
Manual_tranny, you still awake? Hello?... Bueller?....
Just to help you give 'em a nudge.

The fleet:

Last edited by romad; July 2nd, 2014 at 14:53.