1Z, AAZ Whats the difference?

solarmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Beetle TDI, Vanagon Syncro with front and rear lockers, non viscous coupler, with decoupler waiting for a TDI swap
I have been researching which TD to put into my vanagon. I see engine codes stating 1Z, AAZ and others. Where can I find out which type each is and what the difference is. I looked in the TDI FAQ's and didn't see it there. What can anyone say about the TD vs TDI in the US. Anything is better than my wesser boxer.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
1Z is a TDI direct injection electronically controlled rotary-pump engine, the first version of TDI to be sold in North America (1996 - 1997 Passat TDI and some early 1997 Jetta TDI).

AAZ is an older style mechanical-pump indirect-injection (prechamber) engine. It is a development (longer stroke) of the old 1.6 TD engine. Not TDI. This was sold originally by VW in Canada, 1993 - 1997, but never in USA.

There are tons and tons of other engine codes. The ones most commonly seen in North America for TDI engines, and what they are from, are:
AHU - Jetta TDI (late '97, all '98, A3-body early '99). Rotary pump, wastegate-style turbo.
ALH - all New Beetle through 2003, Golf and A4-body Jetta late '99 through 2003. Rotary pump, VNT turbo.
BEW - all Mk4 P-D TDI 2004 and onward
BRM - Mk5 Jetta P-D TDI through 2006

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
AAZ has no intercooler, a handle to operate the cold start assist, glow plugs operated by a fixed time initiated by the driver's door opening, a cable operated fuel injector pump and 75 hp.
The 1Z has an intercooler, ECU control of the idle speed, glow plugs initiated by the ignition key and timed and monitored by the ECU, a 'drive-by-wire' electronic accelerator pedal / injector pump control, and 90 hp.

solarmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Beetle TDI, Vanagon Syncro with front and rear lockers, non viscous coupler, with decoupler waiting for a TDI swap
What years were the kkk turbo used and when did the garrett turbos start being used. Different engine mount kits are better for one and not the other.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If I remember right, the AAZ (indirect-injection) used a KKK turbo but I'm not sure which one. The 1Z uses a Garrett GT15. The AHU uses a KKK KO3-006 which is entirely interchangeable with the GT15.