Mazda3 vs Tdi

TDI
Jetta MK4 1.9Tdi (110HP)
Hi my friends....

I need more power!!!!!! Here in South Africa the guys drive like hell. So I have an imported 90HP Tdi...It's not near enough to keep up with the cars around here.
The other night I can from my parents house, 70km from where I stay. There was a Mazda3 sitting on my bumper, and I just could not shake him. I floored the car, but all I got was black smoke, overfuel???

I could only hold on for dear life at 118miles per hour as the car would not go past that. I had to say that the Mazda could not pull away, but I could not get much closer...(the Mazda were a petrol engine car)

What can I do to get that edge...more pulling power. Downhill speed with the Golf 130 miles/ hour...

Please advise.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
injector nozzles....

Then some chip tuning.

Ben-Zion Petersen said:
I could only hold on for dear life at 118miles per hour as the car would not go past that. I had to say that the Mazda could not pull away, but I could not get much closer...(the Mazda were a petrol engine car)
118 is the Max speed for a North american TDI.
Chip tuning or an ECU remap could take care of that.

Last edited:

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Depending on which Mazda3 you were up against, that's not too shabby. They aren't slouches! My buddy at work has the 160hp version and it goes pretty good. The new Mazdaspeed 3 model is even faster with 263hp!

If you get some injectors and a chip-tuning, you should be able to see around 140-150hp and the torque will be pretty impressive too. Of course, you'll need a new clutch so start saving the cash!!

TDI
Jetta MK4 1.9Tdi (110HP)
What type of injectors...the South African Guys don't fool around with their cars like the Americans.
Can I use the injectors that is in the Transporter van? I heard it gives a different spray...increase in power...
Chip is a bit above my budget at this stage...

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
New nozzles will indeed gain you some power, but... if you're already smoking at full throttle, nozzles=more fuel and you'll have more smoke to go with the power gains. Chipping costs about the same amount as nozzles. Tuning boxes will give you, again, more fuel but no boost to go with it. If you're thinking of one mod only, then chip. If you have a series of mods in mind, start with the nozzles.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Some folks say the one-mod-only should be injectors, then chip.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
In the days (not so long ago) before nozzles were commonly availabe, everyone just went with Upsolute or Wett and chipped their cars. Then came nozzles... Adding nozzles over that generation of chips caused excessive smoke. The chip already added fuel to the formula in proportiion the the boost the chip offered. Not a great combo.

Today, the thinkng is do nozzles first, then when you chip, the chip will already be programmed to accomodate the increased fueling present via the nozzles.

Again, if you're only going to do ONE mod, chipping will get you boost, fuel and timng all in one package. The problem is... NO ONE seems to be able to do only ONE mod... go figure :)

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
FlyTDI Guy said:
Again, if you're only going to do ONE mod, chipping will get you boost, fuel and timng all in one package.
Not to mention top speed increase, (falling on it's face at 118MPH)

injector nozzles were a good gain,
but that with the chip was like WoW!

FlyTDI Guy said:
The problem is... NO ONE seems to be able to do only ONE mod... go figure :)
It's an addiction.:D

Last edited:
TDI
Jetta MK4 1.9Tdi (110HP)
Sorry 4 the late reply. No, there were only smoke when i floored at 180km/h. The smoke cleared later.
The car would not go past 190kh/h, but I later saw and felt that if I just keep it half way floored, the car picked up speed. I think my EGR and Intake might be clogged??????