The Real Deal...

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
Folks,

Here goes nothing. All right, I have a confession to make. Having gone back to NH on leave, where a dealership was holding a Golf GL TDI for me, I found I couldn't commit to the purchase. I want to believe in the power, but without a practical exercise in WETT powered TDI's, I couldn't give up my beloved VR6.

Is there anyone on the site who owns a WETT'ed TDI and is willing to come to within 3 hours of Nashville, TN? I will drive the 3-4 hours to meet you. Consider it a free lunch, as I will gladly pay for an evening meal (NOT fast food, unless you just want to keep drivin'). This will include Knoxville, Indianapolis, Saint Louis, Memphis, Chattanooga, Louisville, or Lexington, or thereabouts. If anything, you'll be able to get test mileage under the tires as well as a change of scenery.

So, can anyone please show me the real deal? One drive might put me over the edge...

Thank You and Sincerely,

DSLPWR

[This message has been edited by DSLPWR (edited September 13, 1999).]

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
DSLPWR,

I'm down in Atlanta.. There are a couple of shows coming up this weekend (Nopi Nationals, Petit Lemans, Stone Mountain Club VW show)...

If you can come down this weekend I'll let you drive a Wett'd NB... It will really surprise you..

If you aren't coming down, I might be able to meet you in Chattanoga the next weekend since this one is pretty full.

Just drop me some email...

Gary

M

mickey

I can't compare my car to a VR6 since I've never driven a VR6. All I know is, it's a blast to drive and uses 1/2 the fuel of the VR6, and the fuel costs at least 20 cents a gallon less money.

Will a Wetted TDI beat a VR6 in a quarter mile drag race? No. Will it have a top speed as high as a VR6? No. Will a TDI beat a VR6 in a 50-80 mph "passing" sprint in 5th gear? Easily. Not even a contest.

-mickey

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Here's the real deal. Anyone can go out and buy a VR6. It's almost a no brainer.
VR6 = speed.

But, not anyone goes out and buys a TDI. In fact most people turn up their nose at diesels, and won't even consider one.

The fact that you are considering a TDI is the proof in the pudding. Wake up and smell the coffee! :)

The TDI won't give you "VR6 speed". The TDI gives you "speed" of a totally different sort. Kinda like "The Zen of Speed".

Now....aren't you convinced??

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
Ahh...Zen...

Well, as far as diesel, I've been there; family has had 240D's, 350SD, Peugeot 505S (2.5l turbodiesel -- great car), and I have still (at home in NH) a 1981 VW caddy diesel.

But I admit to having been seduced by the VR6 and all it's power. You would be also if your previous vehicle was the Caddy. Having fallen so much for that surge, the stock TDI didn't provide the pull I thought it would.

Knowing a WETT'ed TDI exceeds the torque of my own VR6 means I wasn't getting the real deal from a stock TDI test drive. I don't care much about 0-60 times, but knowing the car really PULLS along is key. Fifty to 80 is a quality characteristic. The stock seemed too pedestrian, so I want to "test the 'WETT'ers'" and see how much more spunk it has.

Gary, thanks -- I will contact you. I'm actually on call for Hurricane Relief (if Floyd hits the coast), so I might be busy also. Let's hope not though -- hopefully it'll go out to sea or just up the coast and die out.

DSLPWR