RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks very much for this info. I totally missed the post that mentioned that. I will check out this seller.

Jeff
No problem, Happy hunting. I will continue to help people in any way I can, just not sending the links. Need instructions, or run into issues with the installs, post up. Several people on here including myself should be able to assist.

du5an

TDI
Golf 5 2.0TDI, GTI look
my rns510

Hi guys, i am new here and would appreciate your help :).

So, yesterday i bought a Golf mk5 tdi gti look, it has a RNS510 with maps of western Europe, and 2660 firmware version :confused:.
Now, i am iterested in putting maps of eastern Europe, but i'm also a bit confused about updating firmware... Am i supposed to install all updates after 2660, or i can skip all of them and simply install the latest one? :confused:
My final goal is V10 maps for eastern Europe... :)

P.S.: I'm new into the VW world, so that's why i seem like a noob :)

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hi guys, i am new here and would appreciate your help :).

So, yesterday i bought a Golf mk5 tdi gti look, it has a RNS510 with maps of western Europe, and 2660 firmware version :confused:.
Now, i am iterested in putting maps of eastern Europe, but i'm also a bit confused about updating firmware... Am i supposed to install all updates after 2660, or i can skip all of them and simply install the latest one? :confused:
My final goal is V10 maps for eastern Europe... :)

P.S.: I'm new into the VW world, so that's why i seem like a noob :)
http://www.vwnavi.com

Pretty much everything you could need for the Euro versions of the 510 can be found there.

H2O2H

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
What is the latest RNS-510 version?
ETKA shows an M, and released in July 2013?

But, I am seeing on ebay L is the newest 2014 version, but it may be wrapped with a J/K label, which seems a bit odd to me. o_O

Keep in mind that units Version J/K/L with HW number 21 and higher are internally SSD units. So sometimes you will see the sticker label showing version J but internally the unit is Version L. I suppose this was a small mistake Continental did when printing the Sticker labels.

Yeah O K.... Is it strange how one guy having a monopoly on these head units outside the dealership. Or, are there other sellers?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-O...t=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item461247943f&vxp=mtr

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
What is the latest RNS-510 version?
ETKA shows an M, and released in July 2013?

But, I am seeing on ebay L is the newest 2014 version, but it may be wrapped with a J/K label, which seems a bit odd to me. o_O

Keep in mind that units Version J/K/L with HW number 21 and higher are internally SSD units. So sometimes you will see the sticker label showing version J but internally the unit is Version L. I suppose this was a small mistake Continental did when printing the Sticker labels.

Yeah O K.... Is it strange how one guy having a monopoly on these head units outside the dealership. Or, are there other sellers?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-O...t=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item461247943f&vxp=mtr
There are VERY few US Continental Dealers. Peter(ExtremeNetwork) is only one I know of who sells on EBay. He is also on several of the forums.

M's exist in theory, but I have yet to hear of one in circulation. Since they have less issues, people don't talk about them as much. Not sure what the difference is if any between an L and a M. There are J's with SSD's, and K's with regular drives. You have to look at Hardware and Firmware to be sure what HDD you have. All L's that I have seen are SSD and typically have Firmware 5374 on them. 4366 is the newest firmware you can run on a non SSD unit. 4369 is the first firmware for the SSD units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CHI_TDI_SEL

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL PLAT. GREY
Dealer installed new RNS510 today. Same install as before (H21/4369/7963). No more issues. I'm hesitant though to do the VIM firmware change. Is there a chance that the VIM messed up the previous radio? Any confirmation from anyone that it doesn't mess it up?
George: I am having the same problem but the thing is the "SXM," showed up before I installed the VIM. I have an appointment with the dealer soon, but was curious what they told you was wrong with the radio and why they swapped it out. Also my car is a month old, obviously under warranty correct?

Thanks

Crazy Jetta TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I went on Navigation.com today to look to see if there was an update disc. I see there is a v.8m. Is this a newer version than version 8050? price is also cut in half and only $99. I want to pull the trigger if its a newer version but I am not sure what version this is.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
V6 is 7963, V7 is 8050. I am curious now myself. Anybody got a newer version than 8050 loaded on their 510 for Nav? It's release date was July 2, 2014. I have sent the question to my Contact at HERE and put questions in several other places. We need to know the Year and Quarter for the Map Data to determine whether it is of any value. Glad they listened to me and lowered the price!!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
After using our old Garmin 370 for a number of years, we finally bought a lifetime map update when they offered it for $59. The nav in the RNS-510 can stay just the way it is until the owners provide more reasonably price updates. I might consider $99 for lifetime map updates, under no circumstances will I pay that much for incremental updates. I'm perfectly willing to just going back to using the Garmin, which works perfectly well, and which we take when traveling when we're using a rental.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Actually, the Garmin prob works BETTER than the stupid maps that are in the nav unit! Even if you had the latest version.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I dunno . . . I ran my Garmin along side my RNS a couple of times for grins, and it was pretty much a dead heat . . . had current maps in both.

- Tim

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Guess it depends on which version Garmin you have. Spend as much on the Garmin as you did on the one in the VW and compare! Ease of use esp. and programming. Using the interface on the 315 or 510 sucks!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
I was speaking to navigational accuracy, and in that regard, I think all Garmins are pretty much the same. Mine was high end about 5 years ago, with live traffic avoidance, etc., and I have not seen anything on the new one that makes me want to rebuy. Keep your firmware up to date, and the look/feel isn't that different either.

Both are a pain to enter a destination to when moving . . . just in different ways. For me, the amount of time spent entering destinations is so small compared to the time driving, that the issues with the RNS become trivial. I want a unit to get me to the correct destination first and foremost . . . data entry on any device without a real physical (*NOT* touchscreen) keyboard is going to suck to some level no matter what . . . .

- Tim

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Actually, the Garmin prob works BETTER than the stupid maps that are in the nav unit! Even if you had the latest version.
The actual telemetry data for both Volkswagen and Garmin are the same and provided by HERE/Navteq/Nokia.

It's the implementation of that data that differs. And I would agree Garmin is better.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I bit and bought the update disc. when I get it I will report back here

Awesome! There is a file on the root of the disc. Can't remember the name off the top of my head. I'll edit later and include it. Might even be in an earlier post in this thread. In that file it will contain the VW version number(ex 7963/8050), and the root Map Data version, like 2014Q1, which is what I am hoping for.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
After using our old Garmin 370 for a number of years, we finally bought a lifetime map update when they offered it for $59. The nav in the RNS-510 can stay just the way it is until the owners provide more reasonably price updates. I might consider $99 for lifetime map updates, under no circumstances will I pay that much for incremental updates. I'm perfectly willing to just going back to using the Garmin, which works perfectly well, and which we take when traveling when we're using a rental.
Guess it depends on which version Garmin you have. Spend as much on the Garmin as you did on the one in the VW and compare! Ease of use esp. and programming. Using the interface on the 315 or 510 sucks!
I was speaking to navigational accuracy, and in that regard, I think all Garmins are pretty much the same. Mine was high end about 5 years ago, with live traffic avoidance, etc., and I have not seen anything on the new one that makes me want to rebuy. Keep your firmware up to date, and the look/feel isn't that different either.

Both are a pain to enter a destination to when moving . . . just in different ways. For me, the amount of time spent entering destinations is so small compared to the time driving, that the issues with the RNS become trivial. I want a unit to get me to the correct destination first and foremost . . . data entry on any device without a real physical (*NOT* touchscreen) keyboard is going to suck to some level no matter what . . . .

- Tim
The biggest problem with a Garmin I found was age. I have a Nuvi 650 and it has gotten to the point where there is not enough memory in the unit to load more than 1/2 the US maps into the unit. So without trying to download and install maps part way thru a cross country trip it is useless. Also the batteries in it are dead so unless it is plugged in 100% of the time it won't run.

It is a good little unit but now that I've gotten used to the 510 it works and does what I need just like the Garmin did.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
The biggest problem with a Garmin I found was age. I have a Nuvi 650 and it has gotten to the point where there is not enough memory in the unit to load more than 1/2 the US maps into the unit. So without trying to download and install maps part way thru a cross country trip it is useless. Also the batteries in it are dead so unless it is plugged in 100% of the time it won't run.

It is a good little unit but now that I've gotten used to the 510 it works and does what I need just like the Garmin did.
I think mine is a 650 as well, and I just direct the maps to the SD card, and everything fits fine . . . Replacement battery cost me about $10 and 10 minutes to install. This is my primary in my vehicle, and my wife has the RNS in the Passat.

- Tim

CHI_TDI_SEL

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL PLAT. GREY
Just got back from dealer today, and was told that I was going to get a new RNS-510 since the tech called the tech line and they could not figure out why my nav was intermittent and sirius xm not able to put the channels on the presets. They also said that since the new firmware update was coming out they would just get the new hardware and update as needed. Will keep you guys updated with which update I get on Wednesday.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Just got back from dealer today, and was told that I was going to get a new RNS-510 since the tech called the tech line and they could not figure out why my nav was intermittent and sirius xm not able to put the channels on the presets. They also said that since the new firmware update was coming out they would just get the new hardware and update as needed. Will keep you guys updated with which update I get on Wednesday.
If it's NAV and Sirius it most likely isn't the radio. It is most likely the antenna. Did they pull the radio and check the antenna connections?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Here is the data from the Vortex thread...

8M(8112) Disc

Continental Automotive GmbH
I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD

Content

Volume: CD_8112
Date: 16.1.2014
db: NA(2013Q3)
Area: North America
Subarea: ALL
Supplier: Navteq
Version: 505.19.333.4.84
Customer Version: V8
Customer: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Customer Info: VW
Features: ZIP3kb - feaV10(VW) - pti(VW)
TPD: 2014010000
SVD: EDB_20140116
TMC: 20131115
Phoneme: Navteq
DBAL: VW-V6.36_V7.13_V8.22_V10.13_basename_poi_on_route

SIRIUS:13.05.2011

7M(8050) Disc

I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD

Content

Volume: CD_8050
Date: 6.8.2013
db: NA(2013Q1)
Version: 505.19.314.2.84
Customer Version: V7
Customer: 1627386848
TPD: 2013070009
SVD: EDB_20130704
TMC: 20130226
DBAL: VW-V6.33_V7.10_V8.19_V10.10_basename_roundabout

SIRIUS:13.05.2011

As you can see it is only a 6 month improvement. Absolutely ridiculous! If you produce a disc in 6/2014, you could at least include 2014Q1. Stupid VW. Actually it isn't VW's fault, it is HERE, Navteq's marketing arm. They are the ones that make the most money from this. They wonder why people were copying it and distributing it, when they are being disrespectful to their customers like this.

Crazy Jetta TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
From Disc

I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD
Content
Volume: CD_8112
Date: 16.1.2014
db: NA(2013Q3)
Version: 505.19.333.4.84
Customer Version: V8
Customer: xxxxxxxxx
TPD: 2014010000
SVD: EDB_20140116
TMC: 20131115
DBAL: VW-V6.36_V7.13_V8.22_V10.13_basename_poi_on_route
SIRIUS:13.05.2011.

Last edited:

garypen

TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI
Since current NavTeq map and POI files are available from multiple sources, is there a way, other than the VW/NavTeq disc to load them onto our RNS-510's?

With my Pioner AVIC unit, I can boot it into Windows CE "test mode", and simply copy files over from an SD card.

The RNS-510 seems like a WinCE-based unit. If it is, there should be a way to boot directly into CE, and copy the files into the proper folders.

Depending on what Navi system is actually running on the unit (Pioneer uses iGo), it might also need some other file modification. But, it could be doable, and a way to keep current.

I guess the two big questions for the RNS-510 are:
-What is its OS?
-What Navi program is running on that OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.