experts advice??

smketrny

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDi, 2015 Passat TDi
1998 TDI, 1.9 210k . Car stalls. Wait 10 minutes, car starts. Today stalled 2x on interstate. Changed fuel filter 10 days ago, ran for 200 miles NO issues. Had to baby it home where i had again, NO issues. ECM was loose and secured. Could it possibly be the issue? Thanks in advance. Waiting to hear from my guru but im killing time.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Sounds like something electrical and it could be the classic Relay 109 failure. Easy to change.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
does it stall like a dimmer switch or an on/off switch?

on/off implies electrical issue the ground behind the battery being broken, relay 109, the wires to the IP, etc...

dimmer switch implies starving for fuel, and i would check the "T" on the fuel filter for a bad o-ring or just not seated fully.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I've posted this a bunch of times, but the 109 relay is so easy to check. Turn the key on and the check engine light should come on. This tells you that the ECU is getting power and the relay is working. Now that doesn't tell you it's working all the time, but if the car stalls, you go to restart and the check engine light comes on the relay is working at that time. Could be the crank speed sensor also, when they go bad they tend to cut out when they get warm.