05 Passat Engine/Emissions and Faulty Air Bag light?

Mick05TDI

TDI
2005 Passat
Hello all you TDI'ers :)
New to forums.....
Just bought a used 2005 TDI Passat from a garage.
Had 225k+ miles.
No lights on when I bought it....
70 miles a day round trip to work for the last month....
Engine light came on with "Emission Service Needed?"
Also Airbag light was steady last week...this week blinks all time?
Friend of mine (fellow TDIer, told me that EGR probably prob with emmission's?guided me to your site! which I'm thankful!)
Got some great info from you all, did my first oil change with 5W40 LubriMoly and Napa Filter (with rings :) ).
Disconnected Battery but did not solve anything?
Also, friend told me about bending down tab on light switch to turn off running lights, but wasn't sure how to get switch out....
Prior knowledge of Diesel mechanics, but worked on Tri-axles and Locomotives for 8 years! :). VW's a scosch smaller ;)
Car did not come with manual so relying on you all to help.
Appreciate any advise in these fields....
Thanks!
Ohhh... prior owner DID change timing belt every 80,000 miles....

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
You're going to need VCDS to read your codes. Maybe you and yourTDI friend could buy one together. You said you bought it from a garage. How did they aquire it and what repairs did they do?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes, you'll need an appropriate scan tool.

You can disable the DRLs easily by removal of the relay. I forget which one it is now, but you can do so by reaching in past the fuse box on the side of the dash. No tools required. I yanked mine out and handed it to the salesman that sold us the car before I drove it off the lot. Told him "here, you can keep this part". :p The look on his face was priceless.

Mick05TDI

TDI
2005 Passat
2005 Passat Air Bag and Engine Light (Emissions) on

You're going to need VCDS to read your codes. Maybe you and yourTDI friend could buy one together. You said you bought it from a garage. How did they aquire it and what repairs did they do?
The mechanic bought it with 200,000 miles on it, his wife ran it for about a year, Tranny went out of it so he had a VW mechanic install an Erickson Torque Converter.... had it for sale at garage for about a year.... He recommended same advice about buying a VCDS with friend!
Thanks!
He has another 05 TDI Passat there with a bad cam to the "Right Buyer" and a 06? Jetta TDI with new head (still in the box?)
Thinking about fixing them up...

Mick05TDI

TDI
2005 Passat
Yes, you'll need an appropriate scan tool.
You can disable the DRLs easily by removal of the relay. I forget which one it is now, but you can do so by reaching in past the fuse box on the side of the dash. No tools required. I yanked mine out and handed it to the salesman that sold us the car before I drove it off the lot. Told him "here, you can keep this part". :p The look on his face was priceless.
HHHHHHHHmmmmmm! Have to check that out! Thanks!