Passat Replacement based cabin size?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yes, let's all go buy Camrys and be done with it.

But seriously, I've seen worse looking Camrys. I just wish they'd get out of the copying the Lexus hourglass face and the tall dashboards. They make me feel claustrophobic.

I had a '92 Camry V6 which, aside from being what I called terminally gray, it was a pretty good car to drive. Quick, quiet, handled pretty well. And it supported Toyota's reputation, at the time, for trouble-free driving. Just what I needed at that point in my life.

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
I'm just tired of Toyota marketing abusing the phrase 'all new' to describe generation after generation of Camrys. They've been on the same chassis and powertrain for at least a decade. And funny enough people eat it up and rush out to buy the not so 'all new' version. In my mind all new sheet metal doesn't qualify as all new generation.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I hear ya. 23/34MPG (27 combined) TSI is unimpressive. The only thing keeping me from another TDI (other than stop sale) is reliability/replacement cost of latest emissions add-ons. At annual mileage of 40K+, it's a no-brainer, but at 12K I expect the TCO and ROI to favor the TSI.
I don't know if they changed the engine/specs but a couple of years ago I had a passat tsi as a loaner while the dealership was doing warranty work. I was totally unimpressed. That engine is a dog in that car. It's too much car for the engine, at least for the 2013 passat I drove. Not only did it guzzle fuel, but it felt labored the entire time trying to move that car around.

Barring any change on the tsi that I drove then to now, I'd say the only way to go with the passat is with either the tdi or the v6.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm just tired of Toyota marketing abusing the phrase 'all new' to describe generation after generation of Camrys. They've been on the same chassis and powertrain for at least a decade. And funny enough people eat it up and rush out to buy the not so 'all new' version. In my mind all new sheet metal doesn't qualify as all new generation.
Everyone does this. Mazda right now is advertising the "new" 3. It's actually near the end of its life cycle. If people didn't get sucked into that hype manufacturers wouldn't do it.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Father had a 13' Avalon Touring and it was very nice. I did find the Nav worthless when the sun is out and the sound system was good, but I seem to like the forward firing Fender to be more appealing for most of the time. The V6 was nice and efficient.

For many they've had VW's for some time. Mine was my first and I'm sticking around for at least one more. I liked the Passat enough to stay in one.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...from my 18-year-old son: "Dad, I don't know why you keep apologizing about the Avalon being an "old fart's car". It's not as if the Passat is a GTI. It's a FAMILY sedan." HAHA!

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
The NMS doesn't do to shabby raging back roads- it rails corners quite well, tires brake loose in a nice controlled slide just a few mph lower than my coworkers R32- but yeah at each intersection he was waiting for minutes :D (we were on smooth paved logging roads with almost zero traffic- google wind river rd90 trout lake wa)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The NMS doesn't do to shabby raging back roads- it rails corners quite well, tires brake loose in a nice controlled slide just a few mph lower than my coworkers R32- but yeah at each intersection he was waiting for minutes :D (we were on smooth paved logging roads with almost zero traffic- google wind river rd90 trout lake wa)
Exactly what is your definition of "a few mph"???:D. If he was "waiting for minutes"???:rolleyes:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
he really pulled on me on the 22% uphill straits- very steep stuff- The NMS was chugging away in 4th and I do believe he was close to 100 eating the rev limiter in either 4th or 5th- just amazing power in that thing! I know he radio'd me that he made one tight right turn at 65 and I slide pretty hard at 52 taking up both lanes and the rear drivers side ate some gravel ;) Did I mention how great the electric steering reacts in quick counter steer situations? I have great videos but cannot post them

Last edited:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Father had a 13' Avalon Touring and it was very nice. I did find the Nav worthless when the sun is out and the sound system was good, but I seem to like the forward firing Fender to be more appealing for most of the time. The V6 was nice and efficient.

For many they've had VW's for some time. Mine was my first and I'm sticking around for at least one more. I liked the Passat enough to stay in one.
13 foot? LOL. '13 .... :)