From ON to BC: A Wolfsburg Story

AllieJetta

TDI
2014 GSW 6M/TDi Wolfsburg
Bought the Flashzilla. Have been in for service and never questioned. I also have a VAGCOM and have made numerous software changes.

For me, the warranty is great, but the power and economy was too hard to resist. I figure if they ever question the flash count, I blame it on another dealer and claim ignorance. They have the burden of proving that I was responsible for it, and that would be rather difficult to do. YMMV.

delormea397

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Yeah I hear you on that. I had a similar thought in my head for a while. In the end, I considered how I was going to use the car and what my needs were. In the end, a DPF or HPFP replacement would be an expensive repair, and at those costs, VW may be more inclined to look twice at footing the bill if there was a different flash count. I wasn't so worried about the smaller things, like this EGT sensor. To me, the risk of that bill or hassle over having a tune a couple years earlier giving my use of the car as a daily commuter. Other's may balance that decision the other way, and that's totally fair.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
The onus should be on the dealer/manufacturer to demonstrate how any user modifications might have caused a part failure, or otherwise compromised a system. The simple fact that a change was made should not void the warranty.

.. then there is the real world!

If you find yourself in this situation, I should think tou would need to be prepared for a difficult conversation!

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I would recommend the Audison APK165's over the PC Focal's. Or, I have some really nice Hertz MPX165. 3's I could hook you up with either. The hertz are around $300 and sound very very good. The Audison are around $200 and have some nice budget friendly amps to go with them.
That's really good advice, thank you.

I'll get a hold of you when I come around to audio upgrades. Not working right now so money is tight.

Choddaboy

TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI, Jetta 2001 TDI (sold)
Bought the Flashzilla. Have been in for service and never questioned. I also have a VAGCOM and have made numerous software changes.

For me, the warranty is great, but the power and economy was too hard to resist. I figure if they ever question the flash count, I blame it on another dealer and claim ignorance. They have the burden of proving that I was responsible for it, and that would be rather difficult to do. YMMV.
Do people do equipment rental on here? Like if I paid to use a flash loader, if that is even a possibility, would anyone be willing to loan it?

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Do people do equipment rental on here? Like if I paid to use a flash loader, if that is even a possibility, would anyone be willing to loan it?

Not sure about other tuners, but Malone uses a Flashzilla, which is locked to the VIN of the vehicle being tuned.

If you dont want to buy one, you need to go to a Malone dealer to have them do it for you.

Choddaboy

TDI
Not sure about other tuners, but Malone uses a Flashzilla, which is locked to the VIN of the vehicle being tuned.

If you dont want to buy one, you need to go to a Malone dealer to have them do it for you.
Yea, think it may be worth buying one. Thinking I should change the exhaust before getting the tune.

Choddaboy

TDI
Going with a stage 2 :)

What are you guys doing regarding lowering and tightening the suspension? Trying to stay around $800-1000 CDN pesos. Not sure if that would be enough for decent coilovers.

I have prowled the forum on this topic and have mixed answers. Some people are saying lowering springs with the bump stops, others are saying coilovers. Realistically I wont be racing. I do like it tight tho ;)

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Can't beat coilovers.

Toyoda is selling a nearly new set of KW v3 for a real bargain. A bit more than $1k CDN but I'm sure you can work on price with him, he's truly awesome to deal with. I worked with him to figure out max height when I was comparing the Tiggy/Tow spring lift options, he helped a lot. Unfortunately at max height they're lower than stock lol. They've been for sale for quite some time, I'm sure he's flexible on price. Plus you could go over the border to cut down on shipping and skip duty costs.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=489283

Choddaboy

TDI
Can't beat coilovers.

Toyoda is selling a nearly new set of KW v3 for a real bargain. A bit more than $1k CDN but I'm sure you can work on price with him, he's truly awesome to deal with. I worked with him to figure out max height when I was comparing the Tiggy/Tow spring lift options, he helped a lot. Unfortunately at max height they're lower than stock lol. They've been for sale for quite some time, I'm sure he's flexible on price. Plus you could go over the border to cut down on shipping and skip duty costs.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=489283
Yea, I saw those. A bit high mileage for me liking