2000 E-450 ambulance 7.3 L diesel only 136k miles 14ft body AC - $9995

hause

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Golf Tdi... all souped up also a MK7 Sportwagen on its way to greatness
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/charlotteambulance-73-diesel-only-136k/6799583586.html

This is a turbo direct injection engine so I guess this is allowed here, if not I'm sure someone will quickly let me know. Just figured the community would like something like this.

2000 E-450 ambulance ecnoline 136,391 miles

VIN - 1FDXE45F7YHA75811

Legandary 7.3 L International turbo diesel engine - no leaks, excellent running condition

5 speed ThorqShift automaitc transmission with overdrive - shifts perfectly, no slipping or hardshifts

All tires over 80% tread left, look nearly brand new

The truck is tight, starts right up, no smoke, tight steering, good brakes. A very nice well maintained truck all the way around. Cold A/C, everything works the way it should.

The body on this truck is awesome, here's a list of some of the features:
Separate powerful A/C which preforms fantastically
Large sliding window that opens with a detachable screen
E-track all around
Tons of cabinets offering great storage inside as well as multiple exterior boxes.
Drop down bed/bench that can be easily removed
Built in interior and exterior lights, each can be turned on and off independently.
300 AMP alternator - 2) slide out battery banks with ability to hold 2 batteries each
Swivel chair with desk at window
PA system and air horn, lots of FUN ��
Interior box dimensions are 13'6 long, 7'3 wide, 6'3 tall.

When camping out of it we used a few e-track 2″ straps and ran them from side to side to support an air mattress, worked pretty well. We also ran a hammock diagonally which was pretty cool. This body is really easy to work on and customize if your the least bit handy. Here's a list of upgrades I've been thinking of doing to make a camper vehicle:
Solar panel on roof or attached to awning to keep battery bank charged when stationary
Awning attached to side, either fabric or aluminum
Water storage in compartment behind behind drivers door, outdoor shower using the engine to heat the water.
I found some camper toilets that store the waste water underneath, seemed like that would work well
Roof rack for kayaks, bike rack on rear doors or roof.
Just some ideas I had, whom ever buys this will have a blast transforming it to fit there needs. We camped out of it a few times and everyone at the campground loved the idea of an ambulance conversion and the paint theme.

I'm selling because work has just gotten to busy and I don't have the time to do the upgrades I'm wanting, better to let someone else enjoy it. I'm sure you could put $10k or less into this and have something that competes with a $100,000 + RV. This could also make a great service truck or work vehilce. Toy hauler for atv, dirt bikes, go carts, race cars, you name it.

Email me your contact info or call 704 860 3729 Matt

2210 N tryon St Charlotte nc 28206

We are close to the amtrak, bus station, and airport. Fly in and drive home!

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Interesting box on that rig...Not quite an Ambo but built like it. I spend a lot of time looking at ambos on CL every now and then even though I have one of my own. If the companies that build those, Wheeled Coach, Horton, Road Rescue, McCoy-Miller, et al would just not put in the cut outs for scene lights and have slightly less compartments and do a few other adjustments like have a decent looking overcab space that doesn't go past the windshield and perhaps a roof slightly arched in the centerline and then not blow up the outside with brown swirly graphics all over it, the traditional RV industry would never be able to catch up. Never.

hause

TDI
I think these are by wheeled coach. For the most part the interior of these are pretty easy to alter/customize. Technically these are red cross disaster relief vehicles. Yes the quality of these far exceeds most RV units.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Our shop used to service some of those.

The electrical system was a nightmare. But most of the issues were because they just sat, and did not like doing that without shore power hooked up. We were constantly replacing batteries in them. Not as nightmarish as a full ambulance (although these are Ford's ambo-prep package E-chassis vehicles), but you still have to be somewhat savvy if troubleshooting things as there are not any easily obtained wiring diagrams for these, and Wheeled Coach seems to be pretty elastic on how they make things. No two were ever exactly alike.

The Powerstroke engine in these is detuned from the F-trucks, I think due to the intercooler, which means they are almost guaranteed to never wear out or break, and the transmission may actually hold up a little better too. It would be an awesome camping vehicle or for dirt bike riding.

Far tougher build than any conventional truck based RV for sure.

We did get some of these in here that had the 6.0L (shudder)... but those thankfully all blew up pretty quickly and were purged from the fleet. They have Sprinters now.

GLWS!

Last edited:

hause

TDI
Yea I've bought and sold 5 of these over the past year (none on tdi forum, no one buys anything on here as far as I an tell) this is the highest mileage out of all of them. They've all been good, I'm gonna keep an eye out for the sprinters, do you know what year they switched over.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Within the last few years. We no longer service anything, as they had a change in local management and decided to just go cheap on service, so I doubt you'd want anything they have now. They used to take reasonably good care of stuff.

This of course could be a local thing, I have no idea. They fired the facilities manager we had here (a TDI owner) and we stopped seeing their fleet. I only know they have Sprinters because I can see their lot from the highway.

Every car I have ever placed for sale here, sold through here, for whatever that is worth.

trekkar

Veteran Member
TDI
05 bug,02 golf
Op, did you buy them all at auction if so mind sharing what they go for there? I bought a car of this site but never sold one. I think it needs to be a great deal to sell here and at least in the north east the price of diesel is making it hard to justify.

hause

TDI
You wanna know what I paid for it? lol - after it sells I'll shoot you a pm on it , hows that
It's cool, I'm turning inventory every 7 days on average. Was just trying to give my fellow members a hook up but its all good

Last edited: