I'm stuck... 2013 or 2014 JSW?

ditch64

TDI
None, yet.
Hey guys, I'm new on here and tomorrow will be joining the TDI community. But, I need your help! My lease is up soon on my truck and I've always wanted a TDI JSW, especially now that there's all these good deals on them.

I've narrowed it down to two cars. Both have the sunroof with keyless ignition (I really wanted those two things, and yes I know the sunroof leaks without care) DSG (I prefer a manual, but whatever), back up camera and perfect Carfax.

They're literally the exact same when it comes down to optional features.The only difference between them that I can tell is that one is a 2013 and one is a 2014. The 2013 is $1500 less than the 2014 and has 22k miles, but the 2014 isn't a CPO and has 9k miles.

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I don't know what to do and I want to make sure I make the right choice for my first TDI JSW. I've heard there's some benefits to the 2014 that the 2013 doesn't have like IRS, the soft touch dash and some tech improvements. So, I guess my question(s) is...

Are the newer features that the 2014 has actually worth passing up on a really good deal on a 2013? Is the handling that much better? Is there anything about the DSG that changed between those two years that I should dismiss the 2013 for? etc.....I'm already leaning towards the 2014, but I don't want to miss out on the CPO warranty!

I just can't make up my mind!

Thanks for your help!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
2013 and 2014 wagons are identical pretty much. The differences you perhaps read about apply to the NCS Jetta sedan, totally different car.

You couldn't give me one of the pano roof cars.

ditch64

TDI
None, yet.
2013 and 2014 wagons are identical pretty much. The differences you perhaps read about apply to the NCS Jetta sedan, totally different car.
You couldn't give me one of the pano roof cars.
That might be. I started googling the crap out of the difference between the two and found mostly differences between the sedan. Figured things like the dash and tech stuff would have been shared between the two?

EffinNewGuy

TDI
2013 JSW
Hey guys, I'm new on here and tomorrow will be joining the TDI community. But, I need your help! My lease is up soon on my truck and I've always wanted a TDI JSW, especially now that there's all these good deals on them.

I've narrowed it down to two cars. Both have the sunroof with keyless ignition (I really wanted those two things, and yes I know the sunroof leaks without care) DSG (I prefer a manual, but whatever), back up camera and perfect Carfax.

They're literally the exact same when it comes down to optional features.The only difference between them that I can tell is that one is a 2013 and one is a 2014. The 2013 is $1500 less than the 2014 and has 22k miles, but the 2014 isn't a CPO and has 9k miles.

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I don't know what to do and I want to make sure I make the right choice for my first TDI JSW. I've heard there's some benefits to the 2014 that the 2013 doesn't have like IRS, the soft touch dash and some tech improvements. So, I guess my question(s) is...

Are the newer features that the 2014 has actually worth passing up on a really good deal on a 2013? Is the handling that much better? Is there anything about the DSG that changed between those two years that I should dismiss the 2013 for? etc.....I'm already leaning towards the 2014, but I don't want to miss out on the CPO warranty!

I just can't make up my mind!

Thanks for your help!

I’d go with the 13, personally. It’s a bit cheaper, CPO, and hasn’t gone near 40K so you don’t have to wonder if the DSG service has been missed or not. That CPO and meridians warranty extension came in handy when my HPFP ate itself at 48K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That might be. I started googling the crap out of the difference between the two and found mostly differences between the sedan. Figured things like the dash and tech stuff would have been shared between the two?

Nope. The 2011+ Jetta sedan (known as the New Compact Sedan, or NCS), is a totally different car. The Jetta wagon continued on the A5 Golf platform through 2014, although it did get a facelift somewhere along the line with a new front end treatment and new dashboard. They made them to look like the A6 Golf, but they are still the A5 platform.

ditch64

TDI
None, yet.
Awesome. Sounds like the 2013 is the way to go. Thanks for your help! I'll post a photo in here when I pick it up tomorrow afternoon. :D

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Both good deals. The only difference that I know of is that the 2014 will have a backup camera and the 2013 will not.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Apparently it was optional in the 2013 and this one does have it. So, that's nice!

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

I stand corrected. I didn't even know that it was an option. Good to know. In that case I think the 2013 wins the day. That is a lot of car for the money with lots of warranty coverage.

ditch64

TDI
None, yet.
I stand corrected. I didn't even know that it was an option. Good to know. In that case I think the 2013 wins the day. That is a lot of car for the money with lots of warranty coverage.
Sweet! I felt like that dude Chidi from "The Good Place" this morning. Horrifically indecisive, and losing my mind about possibly making the wrong decision.

Now I feel a lot better going with the better deal. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I added a backup camera last weekend to my daughter’s 2012. I’m very meticulous so it took me about 5 hours, but it was well worth it.

Last edited:

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
How’d the purchase go?
Did you end up with the ‘13?

ditch64

TDI
None, yet.
Sorry guys!

I am indeed the new owner of a 2013 JSW! Holy cow this thing is clean!

I am slightly annoyed, however. These tires are either terribly loud, or I have a bad wheel bearing somewhere. It's like a groaning sound when I'm going 60+ that irritated me the whole way home. I did the standard wheel bearing check (grab the wheel and shake) and nothing appeared to be loose.

Other than that, haha, I'm very happy with the purchase! Thanks again everyone!

TDI owner in T minus 1 day.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
Since it’s CPO, wait 30days, then take to have warranty-ed.
Then it comes out of VW pocket rather than the dealer’s.
Dealers are less likely to try to get away with being cheap when it’s not their money.
So, more likely to get better service that way.
Also gives you more time to narrow down diagnosis so you can point them in the right direction.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
And welcome to the club. I just bought my 4th today. A white 12 JSW with a stick and no sunroof.

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI; 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Wow that’s the exact clone of mine - 2013 JSW TDI in candy white with 17” Porto Wheels! Congrats!

PacketHauler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6M, 2013 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Prem (retired)
Welcome! Looks nice! The 2013 is the one I would've picked out of the 2 options you provided if that makes you feel any better.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
The noise, I would bet, are the tires. I wish I could recall what my '09 had before I swapped out to GTI wheels, but they made having a conversation with the back seat impossible. I swapped from 16's to 18's and the noise went down.

Congrats on the car. Been thinking about upgrading myself, but I bought before VW was allowing the dealers to sell the ones they bought back. So I bought when the prices were high.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
FWIW, I noticed the VWs and especially the JSWs are more noisy on the road than other comparable cars. But those other cars just don't have the farfegnugen the VW has. Another loud car is the Honda Odyssey. Wind noise, tire noise, all terrible.

I just picked up a 2013 JSW TDI/M6 recently before finding out the 2014s were mandatory backup cameras. Now I need to find and figure out how to add one to mine. I do miss that feature. Before this JSW the wife had a 2011 JSW TDI/DSG and I had a 2011 Jetta TDI/M6, so this is my 3rd VW I've ever owned.

Although it is a bit louder on the road I do enjoy driving it over my other cars. I was actually excited to get up today and drive it to work of all places.

ditch64

TDI
None, yet.
Right on. Yeah, it's orders of magnitude louder in the cabin than my 2017 f150, that's for sure. But, I'm pretty sure the noise I'm hearing is a wheel bearing, or.... maybe this thing has some flat spotted tires from sitting in a parking lot for 3 years at the Pontiac Silverdome...

Whatever it is, it's at the local dealer now. The dealer I bought it from offered to cover any deductible incurred by the CPO warranty, and pay for an alignment.

The rear defroster doesn't work, the blower only works on setting 4, there's that noise, and it feels squiggly when half the car is on snow/ice, leading my experience to say the alignment is bad.

It's a good thing I didn't turn my truck in yet!

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
The squirrelly-ness in the snow could be a bad wheel bearing dragging more than the other tires. Glad they are taking care of you on the warranty.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Nice! Congrats!

My 2012 has cheap Chinese tires on it(Lionheart on front, and Lexani on rear)...
There was a 'Rumble" that I could sense rather than feel at about 70 mph.
Had the tires re balanced and its smooth and quiet now.

On a recent 1000 miles round trip to AZ, my GF stated that she felt the car was "As quiet" or quieter than her 2009 Mercedes ML320 Bluetec... I think the ML has a touch more wind noise around the A pillars than my JSW... which makes sense.