It's never too early to think about 2013!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Cabins are great, but where does the group congregate for traditional activities? More of a rhetorical question - stuff to think about.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Yes, but it doesn't have to be, according to Fred. *shrug*
Labour Day is the traditional time, but if there is a good enough reason the date can be somewhat flexible. In 2001 it was a few weeks later to incorporate some time at the Saltflats in Utah.

Please note no date ever works for everyone.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
What about renting out a "lot" of cabins? I know we rented a cabin for a week out there and it slept 8. It was like 1000 bucks for the week. There were about 15-20 cabins on that mountain side. Some holding a few more.
I think, for Chattanooga(-ish), we actually looked at a couple mountain lodges with some cabin lodging, plus conference facilities, and everything was too far from Chattanooga (or civilization), and the things that were in our price range either were a total dump and didn't have enough parking, or were run by crazy religious extremists that had onerous restrictions on the events that could occur.

TDRon

TDI
Jetta IV
I would love to see something happen in Denver (or somewhere in CO). We've done a bit of research and it's a good candidate, although I don't know very much about that area. There are hotels available, prices are reasonable and I think it's a place a lot of people would like to explore.
Denver is a great area...mountains to the west, flat to the east & a LOT of hotel choices

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Denver would be awesome. Not too hot, always pretty dry, lots to do. I love it there. How 'bout working an off-season deal at Vail, Aspen, or Breckenridge?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Here's another thought: I remember seeing a Sunbeam Alpine get together at Big Sky in Montana. Another great spot, and a quiet time of year for them.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Denver is a great area...mountains to the west, flat to the east & a LOT of hotel choices
The Denver area sounds good to me. It's within a 1 day drive for me and it's a lot more centrally located than the west coast, so we could probably get more people to travel from the eastern states.

Have Fun!

Don

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Something else to think about. How about the panhandle area of Florida or gulf coast state over President day or MLK weekend?

Remember, you don't have to have a huge venue. Wisconsin is still my favorite fest. Had to drive a bit to part of the venue, but these cars were meant to drive. Wife loved shopping in the small towns.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The panhandle would be great earlier in the year. Let's do two Fests! :eek:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Every year starting around this time and continuing a few weeks after Labor Day, we always have discussions like this. All good, but it don't happen until groups from whichever locations of interest step up and put together and submit a good pitch to Fred. :)

AVTechMan

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Wagon
I think a 3-day holiday weekend is usually best for a gathering (even if not on Labor Day). During the week its harder for many as they would have to take either vacation time to travel to whereever the fest may be, especially if it involves a long drive.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvermin
Chesterfield = Sofa/Couch

I grew up with my gramma calling a sofa/couch a Davenport. The name Davenport is often used as a synonym for "sofa", especially in the Midwest and in northern New York State. I grew up in WNY.
I've mainly used sofa/couch, but have occasionally used either of the other two. My grandmother was from Kansas and I recall her using them also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesterfield_sofa

bhtooefr

TDI
None
How many rooms in the hotel, how many spaces in the parking lot?

It looks like there's just a few suites in the whole facility (and prices on most of them are a bit high for what a fest hotel usually is in), and it's set up mainly as an event facility plus a few suites for on-site guests, with most conference-goers being off-site? Typically, Fest has been held in hotels that have enough space to allow most or all attendees to stay at the host hotel.

dubtdi

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
How many rooms in the hotel, how many spaces in the parking lot?

It looks like there's just a few suites in the whole facility (and prices on most of them are a bit high for what a fest hotel usually is in), and it's set up mainly as an event facility plus a few suites for on-site guests, with most conference-goers being off-site? Typically, Fest has been held in hotels that have enough space to allow most or all attendees to stay at the host hotel.

we also have a holiday inn.
http://www.hotels.com/ho360524/holiday-inn-express-suites-chatham-south-chatham-canada/

and i can look into the room situation at the retro suits and see what kind of deal i can swing because my boss owns it.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I would love to see something happen in Denver (or somewhere in CO). We've done a bit of research and it's a good candidate, although I don't know very much about that area. There are hotels available, prices are reasonable and I think it's a place a lot of people would like to explore.

I talked to a couple of local CO VW clubs and they were interested in helping in a TDIclub gathering. But every time I've tried to get the group of people needed to commit to what is required it always falls through. There are more than enough of us in the Denver area to do this so only time will tell if we ever get together to do this.

So here goes again, If anyone wants to try again to put forward a proposal I"M IN!!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We are waiting to do a follow-up conference call with Fred on the 24th to determine how to proceed with 2013. There are a few options on the table that may make getting something going easier for you local folks.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The hotel asked if we wanted to book space for next year! :)

The Hyatt at Dulles Airport keeps calling me, too. :cool:

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
We're just such a good group. :) I bet hotels in NJ don't look forward to Waterfest every July :D

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
A Fest in Ocean City, MD would be cool too. Been there once for H2Oi.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Hotels in either Ocean City, MD, or Englishtown, NJ are probably terrified of anything that has anything to do with VW.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Love Ypsi perfect location!
You should join us for the Auto Show GTG in mid-January. :cool:

I think we'll be staying at the Marriott again unless we find someplace closer to Detroit - I'm a big fan of Ypsi though. :)