No AM reception or Sirius

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Our 09 Jetta Sportwagen has no AM reception and Sirius just says Antenna, but FM is OK. The Premium Sound system manual states that this Sirius message means that: "No antenna is connected to the tuner or there are loose plug contacts on the antenna cable".

Coincidently, the whip antenna was snapped from a car wash. I would have taken it off but was screwed in super tight at the factory and did not want to damage it (the car wash beat me to it). I'm not sure what function the whip antenna performs in relation to AM, FM and Siruis.

Anyway, has anybody experienced these symptoms or know how this system works?

Since the car is still under the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty I'm assuming the dealer should correct the problem after I get a new whip antenna.

Last edited:

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Resolution

I finally got to taking the JSW in for this issue under warranty before we hit 36K. It turns out it was the antenna base. The dealer had the car for several days since they had to take down the headliner and then wait for the part.

Last edited:

creekfreak

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
This just happened to me, no AM or Sat. Dealer said it is the base and they want to charge me $300 to replace the base. Does anyone know how hard it is to change the antenna and how to do it?

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
I have a 2006 jetta, radio has FM, no AM, just static on AM. The former owner stated they had both. I noticed the antenna has a crack in the base of the shark fin. Why would this allow FM and not AM, unless the antenna is for AM only, and FM antenna in the rear window. Where can I buy a new or used one?

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
Do you have a whip antenna? If you don't have a whip antenna, do you have an aftermarket radio?

Last edited:

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
i have the same problem on my 09, no AM, FM and Sirius work fine

mauriTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, DSG
I have a 2006 jetta, radio has FM, no AM, just static on AM. The former owner stated they had both. I noticed the antenna has a crack in the base of the shark fin. Why would this allow FM and not AM, unless the antenna is for AM only, and FM antenna in the rear window. Where can I buy a new or used one?[

/QUOTE]
My factory antena is corroded and cracked at the base though still screws on fine, though I also have no am reception. ECS tuning has a bunch of them online. I'm ordering me a shorter version for better looks. And hopefully I can get am service again!