FK projectors with HID, or Hella Ecodes

Tybrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDi
so, story is, i have the Hella Ecodes, and love em, but i put in some FK's into my gf's car and am so jealous lol, so i might have the potential to trade for some FK jetta projectors with 6000k HID's.

What are all your opinions on each?

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
for what its worth, i was going to drop a set of HIDs into my Hella ecodes (4300K bulbs) ...using an adaptor found on ebay, the adaptor has a sheild that prevents the scatter upward that would blind oncoming traffic. depending on the bulbs u get, u may lose your H/L function but from what I read, ecodes with HIDS installed PROPERLY, u wont miss the Highbeams.

i was going this route as the HELLA reflective properties appear to be best, less hot spots, better lighting distribution.

aftermarket lamps tend to have hot spots ( brighter spots vs a uniform spread )

u can confirm this for yourself as u have both. late at night, take the cars to a school yard, and compare your spread.

use daniel sterns instructions http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
to ensure they are setup properly.

bsure to get back to us.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I was looking into options for the Jetta a while back as well. I was considering the Helix ones but didn't end up spending the money. These seem to have a really good cutoff patern, and are designed to install HIDs in them (have the ballast mount location). Their old ones have this spaceship looking design as the angel eyes, but the new version is closer to the BMW angel eyes. FK angel eyes in the Jetta just look a little odd.

dr_p

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
If the projectors have a proper cutoff sheild go for the FK's. Since getting the hellas with the xenondepot 6000k digital set up a)light has been amazing and b) you don't loose highbeams

These are day pics with cell phone camera, but they look much better in person and at dusk / night.

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
from what i have seen and heard, aftermarket lamps are a hit or miss with their build quality / reflective properties.

ecode hellas with this H4 to D2S/D2R adaptor found on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.ca/H4-9003-to-D2S-D2R-Adapters-PHILIPS-HID-XENON-bulb-Gen2_W0QQitemZ370052340339QQihZ024QQcategoryZ36476QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

will give u plenty lighting and cost u the least amount of $$ ( seeing as u have ecodes in hand already )

if u want to learn abit more about this topic

HIDplanet.com has plenty to keep u busy for the next few weeks :)

Last edited:

Tybrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDi
I've been doing a lot of reading about HID's and stuff like that. I've also heard anything but Hella can be very hit or miss, and i'm worried i get a lemon pair, i love my lighting now, especially with the fogs, they really really help on rainy days! I just want more lol :p

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
Tybrad said:
btw, arn't you all supposed to be working????
u talkn to me?? i'm on nights this week...11pm starts...done around :rolleyes: 9am...

hellas, yeah thats what heard and having looked at other lighting options installed on cars very closely...i tend to agree with it.

Tybrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDi
AFAIK, these adapters only fit phillips bulbs.... could i use decent kit ballasts and then use the phillips bulbs? Or am i looking at dropping 400 on the gen 3 kit?

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
i believe so yes

i had a set of infinity ballasts, Bixenon projectors, shrouds, bulbs - ready to go shipped for 400, then i wrecked the mk4.

i check to see if i have the guys email and forward his contact info via PM

Last edited:

silverbeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 2 Dr GTI - Candy White
if you have the BUCKS kiking around, get a set of these OEM HID's...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3768613

on the other hand, i'm happy with my helix halo projectors with H1 HID kit in them....for a portion of the cost of OEM hid's....i used to have e-codes with H4 hid kit in them, and it doesn't even compare with the light output and pattern of projectors...

if i had the money, as well as the will to spend 1200 bucks on OEM hid's i would...but i can't justify paying that much money on a car that's 8 years OLD aready....u get my drift....LOL

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
silverbeast said:
if you have the BUCKS kiking around, get a set of these OEM HID's...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3768613

on the other hand, i'm happy with my helix halo projectors with H1 HID kit in them....for a portion of the cost of OEM hid's....i used to have e-codes with H4 hid kit in them, and it doesn't even compare with the light output and pattern of projectors...

if i had the money, as well as the will to spend 1200 bucks on OEM hid's i would...but i can't justify paying that much money on a car that's 8 years OLD aready....u get my drift....LOL
if u got 1200 to drop on lights...u can build a set of bixenons for under $500...way better lighting than OEM mk4 HIDs

and to clarify, what ecode did u have

silverbeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 2 Dr GTI - Candy White
the e-codes i used to have (hella of course, not depo ones) i had an H4 bulb HID kit, LO beam only....didn't really need HI beam, they were bright enough.

but i found a deal on these helix halo projectors and bought the H1 HID kit...it takes H1 bulbs...so this is what i currently have on my car.

hope this clarifies....

KILOFINAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI. Shadow Blue/Tan leather 5speed with PPQ
I want to upgrade to some sort of HID kit as well. Something relatively easy like plu n play if possible. Looked into the hella projestors with an HID upgrade........but if there was a more "economical" solution?

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Tybrad: Too bad you don't live closer. I have FK's and 6000k hids. Couldn't be happier. The only regret is the 6K bulbs. Next time it will be 4300K or 5000K.

KILOFINAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI. Shadow Blue/Tan leather 5speed with PPQ
silverbeast, where I can find more information on these halo units?..thanks......I really want to get something for my 06 if they will work

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I have some Acura TL Bi-Xenon Projectors I'll let go if anyone is interested, lol shameless plug.

Also some ballasts, bulbs, harness.