windshield polishing?

Smaug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with DSG and Sunroof
My windshield has a few scratches in it (from a bad wiper?) and it pretty well sandblasted. Can windshields be polished to remove the small pits and slight scratches?
If not, how much is a replacement windshield running for a 01 Jetta?

thanks,
Bill

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Polishing can help but it's not going to do a thing for pitting. In reality, I think replacement is the best solution if it's hard for you to see at night.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I'll betcha that since no one has heard of windshield polishing, then it is illegal for 2 reasons: 1) windshield thickness and strength would be compromised and 2) optical distortions would be introduced.

Just call your insurance company and see what it would take.

BrianM

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS 5-speed, Loaded
Actually, I'm not so sure that thickness or distortions would be an issue. It's the sheer ammount of time involved. I polished some fog/driving lights on a Porsche once... about 10sq/in per, and it took several days of spare time infront of the TV to get them finished.

I just pay the $250 to replace the window (through USAA, that's my negotiated rate for Any windshield).

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Of course, if somehow, one day you went to your car and saw a sizeable break in the windshield (could someone have thrown a rock at it?!), your insurance company would most likely pay for a replacement.