Which parts makers to buy?

Rapidrob

Veteran Member
TDI
96' Passat Wagon
I need a new Thermostat and Water pump ( very slight leak at the weep hole). Who's brands are worth the money? There are many to choose from.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
OEM or go home. Im not trying to be an OEM snob but things like water pumps, alternators, CV axles ect.... are all garbage when it comes to reman's and cheep replacements.
Whatever you get, get one with a metal impeller and a RUBBER, not quark, gasket.
Thermostats are all about the same.
ID parts is probably the place to go now.
Parts for our MK3's are getting harder to find and that means that either you get cheep crap or only the good stuff now. Nothing in between much anymore.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Since VW never actually made a water pump I don't feel bad buying in aftermarket. There are some I would avoid though, like Uro branded stuff. I think my last water pump might have been GMB, which I know some people have complained about but so far hasn't given me anything to worry about.

Also there's Graf, Geba, or Hepu which are all good brands to use. I think one of the WP's on my Mk3 was a VW pump but I don't recall the brand on it. It was not any of the names I mentioned though.

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
In addition to IDParts, CascadeGerman can get you just about anything possible.

FYI, the last I knew, water pumps were easily sourced and had plenty of options available.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
It’s tough to say with brands. CRP / Rein do very well with sourcing OEM parts at a much reduced price. For example I recently got several coolant hoses and flanges from Rein and compared them side by side with the OEM part and they were identical aside from lacking the VW/Audi logo (and the dealer price.) in some cases there were marks where they had sanded off the molded VW logo. So I would trust Rein parts.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW has not ever, to my knowledge, made either thermostats or water pumps. We have a Geba water pump with housing on special right now https://www.idparts.com/water-pump-with-housing-b4a3-p-7092.html that's a pretty good deal. Metal impeller. We have a bunch of different thermostats including OEM, although I'd probably go with the Mahle.