2011 Golf TDI 1.5 gallons of B20 / 12 Gallons of #2

tenyearscrowe

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
So I took the plunge and fueled up tonight, first was 1.5 gallons of B20 and then 12 gallons of #2 diesel. Which I think would equal around B2. This is my first time using the splash mix up of the two fuels.

I have 4,150 miles on my '11 Golf TDI. I'm not sure about adding an additive but the biodiesel sounds like the best option to keeping her lubed up and avoiding the HPFP from failing.

Anyone else adding a 'lil bio to their tanks in a MK6?

DrMicki

TDI
My: 2011 Golf TDI 6spd Hers: 2010 Jetta DSG
I'm on my second tank of B4. I picked up a few gallons of B99 in RI and now I mix a half gallon of the B99 with a full fill of about 13 gallons. Fuel economy went down, but so did the temps in Boston in December and it's parked outside. I added 4oz of Standyne formula and I noticed that the engine is much smoother when cold. I am at 4100 miles so not much behind you. Seems like an additive is a must here in the cold but even the dealer recommended it.

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
So I took the plunge and fueled up tonight, first was 1.5 gallons of B20 and then 12 gallons of #2 diesel. Which I think would equal around B2. This is my first time using the splash mix up of the two fuels.

I have 4,150 miles on my '11 Golf TDI. I'm not sure about adding an additive but the biodiesel sounds like the best option to keeping her lubed up and avoiding the HPFP from failing.

Anyone else adding a 'lil bio to their tanks in a MK6?
Straight D#2 with a good additive vs. a self splashed Bio.

Self splashed or not, I am opting for the straight plus additive.

Consider:
  1. Fuel Dilution in oil sump, higher with Bio
  2. Improper Bio blending .... i.e. questionable ratios
  3. Questionable Bio.... not meeting specificatitons. ( lax regulation in this area)
  4. Extreme weather issues
  5. UOAs which do not follow normal wear trends, shown recently by some using higher Bio concentrates.

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I started this thread to discuss this question (among the many others regarding splash blending if you search for them). My interpretation of the replies to my thread is that mixing to make ~B2/B5 is very low risk. If I was shooting for B50, I could see some problems with splash mixing. The odds of 1qt of B100 not mixing in a 14 gallon tank (esp if the B100 is added before the filling process starts, and then the car is driven around "a bit" after) is pretty low.

Now...I just need to make the trip to Northern RI to get some B99. :)

BTW: I fill up with B5 from a local Mobil station whenever I can.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The pump is labled B5 (not may contain up B20 or anything), I'm happy with that.

TDI793

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I second what numlock said since I followed the thread that he mentioned. I actually just got off the phone with hyperfuels and ordered a 5gallon cube from them to splash blend a quart with a full tank. I have 2900 miles on my 11 JSW. I believe also what ive read on this forum that the additives in the D2 will keep the b100 from gelling or freezing during cold monthes. Heard others run up to b20 in winter with no problems!

Hurricane Drew

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
I second what numlock said since I followed the thread that he mentioned. I actually just got off the phone with hyperfuels and ordered a 5gallon cube from them to splash blend a quart with a full tank. I have 2900 miles on my 11 JSW. I believe also what ive read on this forum that the additives in the D2 will keep the b100 from gelling or freezing during cold monthes. Heard others run up to b20 in winter with no problems!
They told me they were backordered for some time early this week -- is that still the case?

TDI793

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I asked the guy to call me when he had some, I literally got of the phone with him 15 minutes ago said he had one last 55gal drum left. Give him a call see if any is still available. I had originally called last Tuesday.