Homemade Urea Injection System for better emissions

andylyco

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW CR TDI 6 spd MT
Hey fellas! So we have a 2009 Sportwagen TDI "clean diesel" with the DPF - diesel particulate filter. The car NEVER smokes, even under hard acceleration, and we love it! Over 14K miles since we bought it in September!
I know that the Benz's and new Toureg/Q7 TDI motors will be using a Urea injection system.
From wikipedia:
"The solution is injected into the exhaust system and releases ammonia. This reacts with the nitrogen oxide emissions and is converted into nitrogen and water within the catalytic converter."
So I was thinking I could try to incorporate a similar system in our new Sportwagen to make our car run even cleaner. However, rather than mess with the separate tank to hold the Urea mixture and all the fancy computer controlled metering system, I had an even better idea. From the same wiki article: "Urea is, in essence, a [human] waste product. It is found in and extracted from urine."
This was easier than I expected, and I was able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone! I rigged up a small funnel and some tubing that runs down next to the gearshift, through a small hole in the floorpan, and through a 1-way valve into the exhaust pipe. This is very important- the valve has to be upstream of the catalytic converter or it won't work.
On long road trips where a bathroom can't be found, I can either collect my urine in a jar and pour it into the funnel, or with some creative yoga inspired stretching, I can pee straight into the funnel. My wife, of course, has to use a bedpan.
Here is a shot of the underside of our car- you can see the exhaust valve that opens and closes to adjust the backpressure of the whole exhaust system. The O2 sensor is just upstream of that, and there is a catalytic converter just upstream of the sensor. (see the 2nd picture)

In the 2nd picture, the heat wrap obscures the opening for the one-way Urea valve.
I really can't tell if the exhaust is any cleaner, but I'm hoping that when we take it for the yearly emissions check that they will allow me to introduce some urea into the exhaust stream as they "sniff" the tailpipe. Once I have conclusive proof of cleaner exhaust, I may consider perfecting and marketing a kit. For example, when I pour the urea into the funnel and it hits the exhaust pipe, it makes a loud hiss and some steam comes back into the car. It's not so much the odor is a problem, but the steam fogs up our panoramic sunroof. I'm sure a small sponge wedged in the tube (or another one-way valve) will help alleviate this minor problem.
Another upgrade could be a bedpan with a drain that leads out the back and through the seat, down through the floor. Something that would make my wife more comfortable, and also enable us to remain seated and belted while doing a number 1.

As ever, please post any questions or comments in this thread, and indicate if you would be interesting in purchasing a kit if it ever comes to market. I can't imagine it would cost more than a few hundred dollars.

jayson9

Veteran Member
TDI
Man, thats a real piss-er of a design! Very fluid. I guess we could now call VW in german Fow-Wee........

BTW, LOL!!!:D

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
owr084 said:
The picture would have looked more authentic if you used apple juice :)
Yeah Andy, you need to lay off the Tequila sunrises or sumpthin, that whizz does not look healthy.

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
Nice one, Andy. As you may know, I've been battling bladder infections as a result of nearly dying from a staph infection (shoulder surgery a couple years ago) - any idea how bacteria would affect urea operation?

Oh, your UOA from Blackstone came back looking pretty good from before your 10k oil change. Give me a call and I'll email it to you...

John F
LV, NV

tdipaddler

TDI
09 Reflex Silver JSW w/DSG
Andy, you could at least "complete the circuit" by installing a 10 gallon keg of fine ale in the trunk with a pumping system to bring forward. In my experience copious quantities of fine ale increase "urea" production considerably. Thus proving that consuming beer is really environmentally friendly.:)

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Uretha system

I see by your urine sample you have severe medical problems! These medical problems are already affecting your brain! Next you will be searching for a Yugo to buy!:eek: Ha Ha:) :D

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Hey Andy,

Is urea really made from human pee or did you just make that up?

You may be on to something though. You may have come up with a solution for bio diesel use the post injection cycle.

karlthev

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe we can set up some type of methane power boost system (similar to a Nitrous oxide boost) when we break wind as well--just recycle the volitile gases through the air conditioning system......

Karl

jayson9

Veteran Member
TDI
karlthev said:
Maybe we can set up some type of methane power boost system (similar to a Nitrous oxide boost) when we break wind as well--just recycle the volitile gases through the air conditioning system......

Karl
Yea.... or a aftermarket "Blower"!:D

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
Man - if you perfect the direct bladder to exhaust system, can you imagine the gains in average speed on car trips?! No more stopping to pee!! Not only would this help the environment (less sewage, less emissions), but it would also help fuel economy -- since you'd never have to slow down, park, and reaccelerate onto the highway from a rest stop. We are on the road to energy independence! Brilliant!

andylyco

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW CR TDI 6 spd MT
The wiki quotes are 100% authentic. And I am particularly intrigued by the methane injection. Imagine that paired with the urea injection- more clean power!

miork said:
Call me when it comes with a catheter.
:eek:
Now that would just be ridiculous. :-D

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I could have made a new thread, but I figured this one was pretty funny and people might enjoy seeing it again...

On a more serious note, I was wondering if it would actually be possible to retro-fit or home-build a urea system for older VWs?

Also, does urea actually contribute to less visable smoke (as mentioned in the April fools OP joke?) or does it just clean up the stuff we can't see?

Just wondering, I'd eventually like to go for bigger hp and try to stay "clean" with my ALH.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
This was easier than I expected, and I was able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone!
Thanks for reposting this.

I see you've already worked out the kidney stone probability...not sure about killing the 2 birds, though...PETA might not take kindly to that...

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I take allopurinal for my kidney stones. Will that affect the urea injections?

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
Considering all of the coffee I drink on road trips and how it is a diuretic, this seems like the ultimate "go green" mod. Or... go yellow?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
You guys are too much! I can't believe that this old April fools thread has been revived from the dead.:D

Have Fun!

Don