Power steering High Pressure line banjo bolt sizes?

Ironforger

Veteran Member
Hello,

Getting ready to do a total ALH rebuild on my 99 beetle tdi.

I just pulled out the engine and trans assembly. It was easier than expected, was just a matter of removing the entire front end first (bumper, fenders, radiator, etc). I was able to do this without opening/removing or disconnecting the AC system. (I just swung the condenser and compressor off to the side).

Anyhow, one pain in the neck is the power steering lines. VW seems to have the tendency to include all kinds of crazy bends in the steel high pressure line as well as the return line. A total mess, wraps around the trans and very much in the way of everything.

I'm going to make my own custom high pressure power steering line as well as a return line with an inline cooler. I plan to re-rout the high pressure line behind out of the way the engine along the cowl above the steering rack.

My question:

Does anyone know the sizes of the following:

- Banjo fitting and bolt (located on the power steering pump high pressure discharge,

- Banjo fitting and bolt (located on the high pressure feed in on the rack)

- Banjo fitting and bolt (located on rack the low pressure return)

Also, if anyone knows about resources where I can buy the banjo fittings? I'd like to find the fittings that have a male side to accept a screw on hydraulic hose fitting.

Thanks!!

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
VW (along with many other manufacturers) do this as an ersatz cooler for the power steering system; that's the purpose of the back-and-forth. If you remove it and especially if you go to hose, which by its nature doesn't conduct heat very well from the inside to the outside, you're asking for trouble. IMHO if you do this make some sort of provision for cooling or you're likely to be buying a pump, rack or both in short order.

Ironforger

Veteran Member
VW (along with many other manufacturers) do this as an ersatz cooler for the power steering system; that's the purpose of the back-and-forth. If you remove it and especially if you go to hose, which by its nature doesn't conduct heat very well from the inside to the outside, you're asking for trouble. IMHO if you do this make some sort of provision for cooling or you're likely to be buying a pump, rack or both in short order.
Genesis,

Thanks for the reply.

Cooling factor was taken into consideration. If you read my post you'll see that I mentioned installing a cooler.

Back to my original question, does anyone know the banjo fitting and banjo bolt sizes? Any suggested vendor resources for these parts?

Thanks!

tdi'd

TDI
2012 Golf (RIP), 1985 Golf (RIP), 2001 Golf
Genesis,

Thanks for the reply.

Cooling factor was taken into consideration. If you read my post you'll see that I mentioned installing a cooler.

Back to my original question, does anyone know the banjo fitting and banjo bolt sizes? Any suggested vendor resources for these parts?

Thanks!
Did you ever find this info out? I’m trying to find the same info now. Ha.