2004 TDI turbo problems BEW.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
OK , thanks, I can get the centre cartridge from Rock auto. but before doing so I am trying to find out why this one is seizing up, I knew that the guide vanes were stuck, but upon taking the turbo apart and finding the exhaust side all sooted up and very hard to turn, I will crank the car over on the starter to see if the is oil coming from the turbo supply line( hope cranking on starter will give enough oil flow/pressure to do this ) if there is oil what would cause the turbo to turn hard , car does has all most 400km on it .Just want to make sure everything is good before installing a new turbo or new turbo centre cartridge. THANK for any help or insight on this.
I will check intercooler for any oil build up, was told to pull the bottom hose on passenger side off and if there is any in the cooler it will drain out.

First is vendor threads and second is personal sales

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
They aren't that hard to take apart.
Have you removed the cartridge from the exhaust yet?
Use an engraver to mark the position of the nut and compressor in relation to the shaft.
Before you remove the nut.
The nut might be reverse thread.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Looks like it’s the best in chinese crap they have to offer. If you need a turbo replacement you might try the for sale section of this forum. Sometimes guys upgrade and take a perfectly good turbo off their car to put on a bigger one. The old one sits on a shelf collecting dust.

I would trust a used one over a chinese anything. Other than that idparts.com, metalmanparts.com, tunemyeuro.com these are all in the states so I’m not sure how that translates into confiscatory import taxes and duties for you. Roseland or something like that is a name I see often in relation to auto parts in Canada.

Replacing just the cartridge, probably not a good idea. A few have had success, with most the cartridge just comes apart and you’re back where you were.

Eddie links to the for sale section of this forum.

Last edited:

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
Thanks for the reply Fatmobile , yes I have the exhaust side off, but have not taken the wheels off, I will be replacing the cartridge not rebuilding the old one and Tdijarhead thanks for the links, I was planning on getting a replacement cartridge from Rock Auto was looking at this one https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5784957&cc=3163&jsn=989 Why is just replacing the cartridge not a good idea ???

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Generally ebay, Amazon, Alibabba are not reliable for a part this exacting. A turbo spins at well over 100,000 RPM, they need to be very precisely balanced and assembled. This is why cartridge replacements often fail. The thing with the one you linked is no information on who makes it where. Cars are expensive but walking takes so long. Used is your best bet if you don't want to part with a big chunk of cash.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
What kind of rush are you in? I will most likely have a perfect BEW turbon in a few weeks. Swapping a PD150 onto mine. You will need a tune as the position sensor doesn't work, or just ignore the engine light.

Don't bother replacing the cartridge, as this won't fix the stuck vanes. If you want an upgrade, run the ALH turbo, but you'll need this pipe to make it work, and an adapter or ALH outlet hose to make it work.

795496-0001 is the egr part number.

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
What makes the ALH turbo an upgrade ? The stuck vanes were easy to fix , they work fine now since cleaned.

What kind of rush are you in? I will most likely have a perfect BEW turbon in a few weeks. Swapping a PD150 onto mine. You will need a tune as the position sensor doesn't work, or just ignore the engine light.

Don't bother replacing the cartridge, as this won't fix the stuck vanes. If you want an upgrade, run the ALH turbo, but you'll need this pipe to make it work, and an adapter or ALH outlet hose to make it work.

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
So if I got this cartridge from Rock Auto It should be OK ?https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9912652&cc=3163&jsn=8665

Generally ebay, Amazon, Alibabba are not reliable for a part this exacting. A turbo spins at well over 100,000 RPM, they need to be very precisely balanced and assembled. This is why cartridge replacements often fail. The thing with the one you linked is no information on who makes it where. Cars are expensive but walking takes so long. Used is your best bet if you don't want to part with a big chunk of cash.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
I did hear you, the sticking vanes were easily fixed just by cleaning them, guys do it all the time, So are you saying if all that was wrong with my turbo was stickily guide vanes the turbo would need to be replaced ? I see treads and post on here all the time about cleaning the guide vanes and they work great after being clean , so am I missing something ?

You don't listen son, BUY A COMPLETE TURBO, the vanes are sticking, you've already told us that. Putting a new cartridge in won't fix that.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Replacing the cartridge means going to an aftermarket supplier as neither Garrett (alh) or Borg Warner (BEW) sell replacement parts. That aftermarket supplier is usually a Chinese manufacturer. They are notorious for turning out absolute junk.

Some guys have installed these chinese cartridges or complete turbos and had them die immediately on starting the car, others get a few thousand problematic miles out of them and then they’re back where they started or worse.

Let us know where the cartridge was made , how the install goes and how long it lasts.

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
In the first reply to my post I was told to look in the for sale post on here for factory used turbo or to buy from one of the vendor threads , which Rock Auto is a Vendor on here and they list a cartridge replacement , SO I TOOK IT THAT THERE REPLACEMENT PARTS ARE GOOD.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In the first reply to my post I was told to look in the for sale post on here for factory used turbo or to buy from one of the vendor threads , which Rock Auto is a Vendor on here and they list a cartridge replacement , SO I TOOK IT THAT THERE REPLACEMENT PARTS ARE GOOD.
Cardone is hit or miss. Again, its better to buy a complete turbo. Again, if you can't find a BEW, then use an ALH turbo.

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
What Makes the ALH an upgrade ? I have EGR deleted , so the only thing I would need is a ALH outlet pipe?? What about the actuator ???

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
What will you be asking for the used turbo??

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK thanks , thought you said you would have a used turbo in a few weeks, I think I may of found a used stock one in Calgary.
Oh, sorry, my bad, thought we were talking ALH.

Yeah, just in the process of getting mine dynoed, then putting a PD150 turbo on.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So what will you be asking for the stock BEW turbo?

PD150 is a bigger turbo ??
PD150 is the Euro version of our engine, rated for 150 hp. Yep, its bigger.

Not sure what I'd ask, probably around $250.

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
PD150 is the Euro version of our engine, rated for 150 hp. Yep, its bigger.

Not sure what I'd ask, probably around $250.

Thanks ,I will keep you in mind , I have a guy in Calgary that has a BEW stock turbo for $250 or $400 for whole car ( he took the cam and lifters out of the motor for another car he is fixing )