About to buy a new 2013 Jetta TDI - any advice

shinghi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG - 2000 Jetta TDI GLS (SOLD)
Well after realizing that my wife probably won't be learning stick on the 2000 Jetta Tdi I decided it might be nice to upgrade to a 2013! Especially with the 0% financing for 60 months, it is a pretty good deal.

I am looking to pay 22,000 - 22,500 out the door (any negotiation tips appreciated). I am in the Bay Area, ca.

Have the 2013s been good to you? What kind of mileage should I expect? In terms of longevity, do you think they compare to older models?

Thank you all for the advice!

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I bought my car in April and paid about $1,000 under Invoice with no incentives. Now, there's $500 cash if you finance at 0% or $2,000 cash if you don't finance at 0%.

So, if you finance, you should get at least $1,500 below Invoice. But it should be even better than that. The 2014's are out and the dealers should be moving the '13's aggressively. Hard to talk about OTD price because that depends on DMV and sales tax. Let's ignore that for now. Let's only talk about what you're paying the dealer for the car. Check Edmunds for Invoice pricing for your model, and offer at least $2,000 below that. If they say "yes" too quickly, you've offered too much.

I only have mine 4 months and I love it.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Some advice :

Choose to buy at the end of the month, and end of the quarter, and best...end of the year....

I bought mine at labor day sale, before the temporary stop in sales, back in 2011.

The dealer really really wanted to move the car. I was able to get about $1800 off the invoice. The reason may be that they wanted to clear it out, or factory had special incentives.

I think if you call around and ask about if it is possible for $1500 below invoice, and work with each dealer from there.

I did the same thing with HOnda Odyssey minivan that we bought last year. Asked around the competition, who all had many minivans sitting on their lots..and all were willing to move them. All offered about $900 under invoice. Mazda, Toyota, Dodge (was willing to do even more).
So I called Honda, told them what others were willing to do...and the fleet manager gave me a no nonsense price of $1050 below invoice .........so we went there, test drove, and was out of the dealership with the new car in 45 minutes flat !!!!!

So do your research. If the car is in short supply , then expect to pay more. IF it is abundant at the time, and you see lots of cars on the lot, then you have more bargaining power.

Good luck.

montana_jeepn

TDI
13 Jetta TDI SEL Premium/NAV
I was close to $5k off of msrp.....I am not sure what invoice was.

mdeyoe88

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6SPD
PM sent, and check out some used TDIs. I just picked up a 2012 Jetta TDI Premium w/o Nav CPO with 50k miles for 18k. Unless you want a brand new car :D

montana_jeepn

TDI
13 Jetta TDI SEL Premium/NAV
If I didn't get such a good deal I would have went CPO as well. The difference between used and new was negligible when I was shopping.

shinghi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG - 2000 Jetta TDI GLS (SOLD)
Just to get back to everyone, I paid 20,700 + tax and license. But then I also got my first two payments taken care of - one from being a recent college grad and the other for recommending another person who bought a car from them.

So my total cost without tax and license was basically 20,200. I would say that is a pretty good deal. What do you think?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Just to get back to everyone, I paid 20,700 + tax and license. But then I also got my first two payments taken care of - one from being a recent college grad and the other for recommending another person who bought a car from them.

So my total cost without tax and license was basically 20,200. I would say that is a pretty good deal. What do you think?
That is pretty damn good.

steveg241

TDI
No TDI's for now, 2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel
As said before end of the month/quarter/year is best. Also ask for all discounts and rebates. I bought a 2004 Jetta in December 2004, got 0% financing and $1000 cash back. I ended up well below MSRP and invoice. I don't have the exact numbers but it was probably $3000 under MSRP. I thought it was a good deal and it has lasted me a long time.

Just bought a Cruze and was able to negotiate down to invoice then got $500 cash back for owning a non-GM vehicle. So I ended up with the car at $500 below invoice and about $2000 under MSRP, which I was happy with since it was a brand new 2014 model in 2013 and is a hot seller right now.

Don't be afraid to walk out and compare with other dealers. I won't set foot into a dealership unless we have pre-negotiated a price. There is no reason to go to a dealer in the internet age when you can get quotes from dealers online and on the phone.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
Wow SD! Lucky you, I thought I got a good deal with my $2000 off the invoice and 0% / 0 down.

ddhd

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi 6spd
Need a little help, I'm look to get out of my 2010 Jett's tdi into a 2013 but it tough finding one in manual the deal is pushing hard on 14 - said 0/60 which I currently have is only an option on 2013 NOT '14 is that bs?

Cmanion

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Premium DSG
Just bought my 2013 DSG Premium. 21,690 + ttl (~2100) factory roof rack (345) xylon int/ext (1000) factory floor mats (220?) gap insurance (450) = 26000 otd.

2.9/72mo = 396/month