At last - Jeep Wrangler Diesel for the Rich

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
In terms of quality and reliability, does anybody really believe that this vehicle will be a departure from the rest of FCA products?

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
In terms of quality and reliability, does anybody really believe that this vehicle will be a departure from the rest of FCA products?
I say NO. I expect it will be more of the same from FCA.

I welcome diesel vehicles from any and all manufacturers and I love the thread title. :)

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
This has been a “dream” vehicle of sorts for me. I always planned on swapping a diesel into a Wrangler in the future. Not because of fuel benefits alone, I just think it’s cool.

It has some very respectable numbers. The number of new diesel vehicles available is dwindling slowly, unfortunately. Wish it was offered in manual.

I’ll probably wait at least 2 years before getting one. 60k is too rich for my blood.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
60k is too rich for my blood.
I have the feeling that a lot of Jeep enthusiasts will also be disappointed by that figure. In my opinion, it is great that Jeep will offer this engine in all of the Wrangler's trims including the very basic one, but even in that version, the vehicle MSRP is only a few hundred dollars shy of 40k. As one of the articles listed above points out, the diesel adds $6,500 to the price tag of a gasser in the same trim, which is a figure that will be all but impossible to recover over the lifetime of the vehicle on fuel cost savings. So, it remains to be seen how much interest there will be in this new power plant. Just for comparison, Toyota 4Runner in the SR5 trim and 4WD version can be had for about 37k. It would be a dream come true for the Toyota crowd if that company dropped a diesel in the 4Runner, but we all know that pigs will be flying and the hell will freeze over before that happens.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I have the feeling that a lot of Jeep enthusiasts will also be disappointed by that figure. In my opinion, it is great that Jeep will offer this engine in all of the Wrangler's trims including the very basic one, but even in that version, the vehicle MSRP is only a few hundred dollars shy of 40k. As one of the articles listed above points out, the diesel adds $6,500 to the price tag of a gasser in the same trim, which is a figure that will be all but impossible to recover over the lifetime of the vehicle on fuel cost savings. So, it remains to be seen how much interest there will be in this new power plant. Just for comparison, Toyota 4Runner in the SR5 trim and 4WD version can be had for about 37k. It would be a dream come true for the Toyota crowd if that company dropped a diesel in the 4Runner, but we all know that pigs will be flying and the hell will freeze over before that happens.

I think the big draw will be from those that actually use their rigs for crawling. I agree that you definitely would not recover from fuel mileage alone. It is nice that you can get D44 with the diesel in any trim. Which as far as I know was only the rubicon before.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think the Jeep brand has almost become like Harley Davidson, where the prices have gotten so ridiculous that only the upper crust people can afford the "real" ones, and the mere peons get the lower end "fake" ones. $60k is a LOT of money for something that, let's be completely honest, is not at all practical for almost anyone's real daily or occasional needs. It is a total "want" type of vehicle (and you can count me in the "want" crowd).

Wrangler for the Rich is a good way to put it. And I thought my $28k Passat was a huge pill to swallow 15 years ago. And my wife really wanted a Wrangler back then, too, but practicality came to bear. Wranglers started around $18k back then, too. Topped out I think they were only around $30k. It is tough to grasp the prices of them now, even though I know the older ones did not have nearly as many gadgets and gizmos and were limited to just the smaller 2dr variety.

And what is it with this slushbox only crap? Wranglers with 2 pedals are like Miatas with 2 pedals: vomitworthy. :(

Last edited:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
And what is it with this slushbox only crap? Wranglers with 2 pedals are like Miatas with 2 pedals: vomitworthy. :(
I know guys who wheel stick-shift rigs, but I find two pedals plenty to deal with when I'm negotiating an obstacle and trying to manage some or all of the following at the same time:

1. Steering/Wheel placement to avoid getting bound up and breaking something/getting stuck
2. Moving forward/back as needed
3. Following spotter direction

Add in a situation where I'm tilted in either the front/rear or left/right axis while doing this (sometimes both), and I frankly prefer not having that third pedal in the mix.

I have no qualms about stick on the road (I can and have done it, but don't currently own any stick-based vehicles), but I'm quite content with my automatic-equipped Jeep.

Having an automatic option in the Wranglers is NOT a Bad Thing(TM).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yikes, 60k. Jeep has transitioned from AMC to AMG.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think the price is an obstacle, but I also don't think they'll sell a lot of diesel Wranglers. Most Jeep buyers around here (and there are a lot of them) are 40 something women who want a break from the SUVs they've been driving since their kids were in car seats. If you're coming out of a 50K Infiniti or Lexus the Jeep price isn't a problem. But the same drivers don't know how many cylinders the engine has. No interest in drivetrains. Just want to fold the top back and drive it on the beach. Once.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I don't think the price is an obstacle, but I also don't think they'll sell a lot of diesel Wranglers. Most Jeep buyers around here (and there are a lot of them) are 40 something women who want a break from the SUVs they've been driving since their kids were in car seats. If you're coming out of a 50K Infiniti or Lexus the Jeep price isn't a problem. But the same drivers don't know how many cylinders the engine has. No interest in drivetrains. Just want to fold the top back and drive it on the beach. Once.

Price definitely won’t be a stopping point for many. Most of the people I see driving them here in WI are that exact demographic. You can get them in the Sport trim too and then it will be around $40k.

I want a Wrangler for winters here in WI. I want the diesel because A. It has almost 500lbft, B. The mileage bonus, and C. Because it’s just cooler. I will wait to buy used though.

ThatBruceGuy

TDI
2015 GSW DSG
A Jeep with a new motor and a steep novelty tax.

The increased price isn't that surprising when you consider all the extra nonsense they have to squeeze into that chassis.
  1. DEF tank and heater
  2. SCR Catalyst (I bet its so big and heavy that they couldn't fit it in the 2dr chassis and that's why they only make it available on the 4dr
  3. NOx and Intake Swirl Actuator Sensors
  4. EGR cooler (known failure point)
  5. VGT and Intercooler
  6. DPF
  7. Particulate Matter and Differential Pressure Sensors
I bet they bake some of the warranty costs into the sales price.
My buddy had the EcoDiesel in his Ram blow up under warranty.:D
The basic 3.6 with a 6MT (25mpg) will handle most situations you throw at it and there's plenty of supercharger kits out there if you need the extra newtonMeters.
The FE gains on the diesel motor (30mpg) aren't worth shelling out the money to upgrade. 20% increase in MPG isn't worth it.
  • Save your money
  • Buy a TJ
  • swap in an ALH

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder if you could drop an old CJ body with a VIN onto a Mahindra Roxor chassis and be road legal.

oilhammer

TDI
The Pentastar is a well known turd of an engine in terms of durability. That alone would keep me away from any [new] Wrangler with spark plugs, although I *might* consider the turbo 4.

But there is no real good reason for the diesel to be linked exclusively to a $2k automatic transmission. For that matter, there is no real reason why a 4 cyl diesel could not be employed in the Wrangler (the 2.8L diesel in the Colorado/Canyon/Express/Savanna has no troubles moving them around).

I agree the cost would be higher for the engine, though. Just the transmission that chaps my ass more than anything. But to be honest, the Wrangler's starting price has quickly spiraled up in recent years anyway, almost becoming a status symbol and trying to rub shoulders with Land Rovers and things.

Too bad the Roxor is not road legal. That is more the type of Jeep I know and love. My CJ5 was a total blast, even if it rusted faster than a Subaru (which it did, had both at the same time... on a quiet night you could HEAR the two of them rusting).

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
  • Save your money
  • Buy a TJ
  • swap in an ALH

Save your money
Buy a TJ
swap in an BRM*

* Corrected.

This has been my dream swap. But I am starting to come around on the 4 doors. Maybe a JKU with a PD would be a nice option. Those 3.8 were junk and I have to think the 07-11 would make a good donor.
The problem is, the Donor vehicles are still way too expensive. And the swap kits too!

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, still, BHW wins. 100cc more BUT the bigger thing is lower CR. So it not only starts with substantially more power, modding it obviously improves it.

The BEW/BRM/BHW are all very similar to start with, but the BHW is the best starting point for the above mentioned reasons AND it does not have that silly split port head like the BEW does. They all likely have a theoretical upper limit for power output (within reason) that is basically going to be identical. The 1.9L engines typically get bored out and lower CR 2.0L pistons installed to make full use of the engine, which again, the BHW was already graced with.

Of course, the CR 2.0L have perhaps a bit more potential. There are 180hp (factory, stock) versions of those... and some with twin turbochargers!

I tell ya, though, I think I'd rather have the MB OM651 2.1L over any of them. :)

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
As much as I love the bullet proof old OM617, they just don't have the power a Jeep would require.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
If money were no option a E70 out of a BMW X5 with full deletes and a stage two tune. 640 TQ.

I do love a strait 6!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Too bad the Roxor is not road legal. That is more the type of Jeep I know and love. My CJ5 was a total blast, even if it rusted faster than a Subaru (which it did, had both at the same time... on a quiet night you could HEAR the two of them rusting).
I might have to look into the body swap idea a bit more. A cycle shop in the area has some Roxors and I checked one over pretty thoroughly. The diesel engine and the fully boxed frame are killer features. If I had $20k burning a hole in my pocket...

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I lease a JLU Sport manual for $299/month. It gets me on the beach here, and I use it in the winter when they lay down salt to keep my 335D from turning into a rustbucket. Mission accomplished.

The diesel Wrangler would be fun, but dear lord the asking price.

Keep in mind, once the buzz of any Jeep wears off (currently the Gladiator and the diesels), the discounts are deep. It's a Chrysler after all.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
... I *might* consider the turbo 4...
I had the pleasure of driving one of the new Wranglers with the turbo 4 recently while traveling for business. Wow they did a great job with that power plant.

I didn't care much for the rest of the vehicle, they haven't improved much since my YJ's for the kind of cash they want for them new.