2000 NB starting issue

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
That is really strange.
Is the engine smoking or shaking or nailing or anything while it is able to be kept running at 1400 RPM?
You may have answered this already, but in the scan tool data, when it cranks but will not start, can you see the engine RPM during cranking? Should be around 250+ or so I think.

OH,

No smoking , shaking or any other noise.
I tried to see rpms but I can’t see it.

It’s funny that after three full scans I finally get a code for the engine speed sensor, first time.

My question to you is will this stop the engine from staying started once it fires off without touching the accelerator pedal? Then the second question is why will it stay running above 1400 rpms when engine is cold but die as soon as I release the accelerator pedal, again once blue light is out no issues.
I let the car run for 20 minutes no issues with multiple starts and stops.

Eddie, I did disconnect the MAF but made no difference....
I also checked all the sensor by going through vcds, I saw nothing that caught my eye.
I even ran ops test for the various sensors through VCDS, all worked .

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Thermal expansion may be just enough to cause a weak signal from the crank sensor at low rpm to start working.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Steve, glad you finally got a code.
OH, do you know what the voltage should be out of the crank sensor? I'm guessing millivolts AC

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Parts are on order .......will update when I find out.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update !!!!!
Was finally able to use my arm ( had surgery ) and removed crank position sensor.
I ohmed the old one and it was open, the new one ohmed out between 1100-1200 ohms on pins 1 and 2.
Car fired up immediately.
Upon inspection of the old one I found a small area in the harness where it rubbed through the harness.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Awesome! Glad you got it fixed, and glad you are feeling better. Thanks for posting a resolution. Help requests on this forum are most useful to others when we get a final post like this. :)