2002 Golf TDI died driving down the highway

dapickupman

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
The timing marks. I reset them on the cam, crank and IP. I was one tooth off on the IP the first time and had no start. I moved the IP forward one tooth and the IP lineup pin slide right in, then it fired up with no problem. I moved the three IP timing adjustment bolts back to there original spots hoping to get the timing close to OE. Maybe its different with a new belt, just figured i would give it a shot though......only thing that was strange is that when I lined everything up the last time and the IP lineup pin slide in, it was a little hard pulling it back out after tightening everything up, not insanely hard by any means, just firm. Is that normal? Thats most of the reason i am worried I could be a tooth off on the IP, but again, if I was, it wouldn't start, correct? Sorry for so many questions, just a little paranoid right now.....

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
One tooth off on the IP and it may start/run.
You have a code that indicates the timing is not quite correct, hence the need to VCDS graph it so you know where its at and which direction to adjust.
It "seems louder" now, which to me indicates its probably advanced more now than before. Not that that in itself is a bad thing (it may not have been optimal before), but since we don't know where its at and there is a code, that indicates something not quite right yet.
You did lock the cam and had crank secure at TDC when the IP was pinned, correct??

dapickupman

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Yep, I had everything locked down. No smoke or anything abnormal other than that code. I just dont want to cause any damage.

dapickupman

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Ok, I went back and checked all my marks again for my own sanity and all was good. I loosened the three IP bolts and and backed the timing down a good bit; perfect! It quieted right down and the code dissapeared. I went ahead and ordered my VAG-COM so it should be running just right pretty soon. Thanks again guys!