Stubborn coolant leak@coolant temp sensor

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I had to replace several O-rings that caused slow coolant leaks in the last year or so. There is no evidence that the cooling system gets over-pressurised by a leaky head gasket. I put it down to normal aging.

However, the last leak is a slow-ish leak at the coolant temp sensor. I took the sensor out several times, cleaned and dried the sealing surfaces in the flange and replaced the O-ring. It always seals for a day or two, then starts leaking again.
I suspected a ridge in the casting or something, but I cannot feel anything when running my finger around the opening.

I got angry today and used blue "gasket maker" silicone on yet another new O-ring and assembled the whole thing (I am really good at it now). I have about had it with mixing up 50:50 expensive G12.

I hate using helpers for seals that should seal as-is. It seems to not leak at the moment (let's see in two days or so).

Aside from the good craftsmanship aspect, is there something I should be worried about, having used the silicone?

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Fixed?

cattlerepairman

Any leaks around the oring?

I am dealing with some PITA leaks around that dame flange. I think I fixed it with high temp copper orange silicone, but the o-ring leaks. If the the blue silicone works, maybe it's better?

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
I got the metal coolant flange installed to fix a leak. I also used the grey coolant specific RTV sealant to be double sure of no future leakage.

For reference, the hose that is unique to the manual coolant flange is

VW PN: 1J0 122 157 BF

That way if you want a new hose when you install it you can get it on worldimpex for $20 or maybe at Napa?