2006 TDI jetta turbo seal leaking oil

bobman

TDI
2006 Jetta
my car has 140 K on it and the impeller shaft seal on the inlet fresh air side is leaking oil I have a some questions.

1) what should something like that cost to have repaired by a aftermarket shop.

2) should I have the intake manifold cleaned of carbon build up while they have it apart, its been 90k since I had that done it was done chemically by the dealer in Athens GA who I am not satisfied with.

3 ) can someone thats used the trusted mechanics listed in Georgia on here PM me with their experience

4 is it that hard to replace? I am pretty good mechanically but I dont have a shop to bring it into to work on it. I also need the car so I dont want it down too long.

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Why do you think the turbo seal is leaking? I ask because a certain amount of seepage is normal. It is also normal to have an oily intake manifold due to this weepage and from the oil mist from the crancase breather. The intercooler will even collect a couple tablespoons of oil, perhaps more, when all is well.

Now if you have high oil usage, white smoke, and/or bad turbo sounds and possibly limited boost, I would begin worrying.

--Nate

bobman

TDI
2006 Jetta
Nate there is a coolant hose about 10 inches below the area the turbo is mounted that was leaking and the dealer told me that hot oil dripping on the hose is what caused the hose to fail and leak. The dealers mechanic showed me where it was dripping, the amount of oil leaking is not real bad just a very small amount not a steady drip. They installed the new hose piece and didnt even bother to reinstall the noise panel under the car, the dunce working for the dealer left it in my trunk. My wife picked the car up the next after the hose was installed.

I went to autoparts store and purchased some radiator hose ans slit it lenghtwise and put it over the new hose so the drip would not land on the coolant hose again. Of course the dealer told me I need to get a new turbo.

WHile I was under there I did notice some oil leaking from the lower hose connection connection on the fresh air side of the turbo in the front of the car under the intercooler readiator area, probably the oil going thru the intercooler you mentioned.

Is this normal wear? is there an acceptable rate of leakage? I dont want the turbo to die on the side of the road somewhere.

quote Now if you have high oil usage, white smoke, and/or bad turbo sounds and possibly limited boost, I would begin worrying. unquote

none of these symptoms exist

thanks for responding

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have never seen a BRM that did not seep some oil in that area. You do not need a turbo. If you want to curb the seepage, you can replace the o-ring on the little elbow pipe going into the turbo, part number 3C0-149-646, which requires removal of that elbow to replace (pretty easy). Dealer will tell you that you need to buy the whole elbow, you don't.

But as is the nature of the beast, the location of the heater hoses is such that any seepage causes the heater hoses to get oily. This is somewhat common... so common in fact I keep not only that o-ring on the shelf here but also a set of thoseheater hoses (1K0-122-157-GH). And now the EGR cooler, also in that area, is becoming a common failure item as well (changeover flap shaft starts leaking exhaust and hissing).

If I had a BRM car, I'd probably replace that o-ring every 40k miles or so, just to keep the oil seepage to a minimum. Keep in mind, the oil seepage is from normal crankcase vapors being drawn into the intake, and they can puddle up at that elbow and seep past the o-ring. Short trips, easy driving will make it worse.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
I have a very oily intake and I love it.

I however have never seen a BRM powered car leak oil from the elbow regardless of mileage. Not to say that it can't happen :)

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I have never seen a BRM that did not seep some oil in that area. You do not need a turbo. If you want to curb the seepage, you can replace the o-ring on the little elbow pipe going into the turbo, part number 3C0-149-646, which requires removal of that elbow to replace (pretty easy). Dealer will tell you that you need to buy the whole elbow, you don't.

But as is the nature of the beast, the location of the heater hoses is such that any seepage causes the heater hoses to get oily. This is somewhat common... so common in fact I keep not only that o-ring on the shelf here but also a set of thoseheater hoses (1K0-122-157-GH). And now the EGR cooler, also in that area, is becoming a common failure item as well (changeover flap shaft starts leaking exhaust and hissing).

If I had a BRM car, I'd probably replace that o-ring every 40k miles or so, just to keep the oil seepage to a minimum. Keep in mind, the oil seepage is from normal crankcase vapors being drawn into the intake, and they can puddle up at that elbow and seep past the o-ring. Short trips, easy driving will make it worse.
That o-ring is 45.3x3.5mm. I got some at a local seal house that are 45x3.5. Maybe the slightly smaller size will help it squeeze better? I got regular old BunaN but I'm thinking I should've sprung for the Viton. Paid $5 for 3 of them.

Some BRM cars use a different heater hose. One of the hoses has a bigger end on it. 1K0-122-157-HP

musicmaker1586

TDI
2005.5 5 Speed TDI
That o-ring is 45.3x3.5mm. I got some at a local seal house that are 45x3.5. Maybe the slightly smaller size will help it squeeze better? I got regular old BunaN but I'm thinking I should've sprung for the Viton. Paid $5 for 3 of them.
Some BRM cars use a different heater hose. One of the hoses has a bigger end on it. 1K0-122-157-HP

Did those 0-rings work? I can not find that part number either? I am having to replace the heater hoses now so I want to replace that seal while I am in there. Ordering the hoses from https://www.metalmanparts.com cause he had the cheapest price shipped!

Thanks for the help!

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I haven't seen the car since I put that seal in.

If I were you I would call your dealer with your VIN and ask them which hose assembly you have (HP or GH) before you order it online. The HP hose lists for $50 as opposed to the GH which lists for around $30.

hytron

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI - PD 1.9L
The correct part number for the OEM o-ring is 3C0-129-646. I replaced it on my 2006 Jetta TDI, but it still appears to be seeping a bit and it drips right on the heater core hoses. It seeps just enough that makes the hose oily between the oil changes which will lead to early degradation of the rubber hose. Maybe adding a piece of sheet metal to divert the drop and keep the oil of the hoses?

Runonbeer, did the 45mm instead of 45.3 (OEM) work better in your case? I would imagine if we can get ahold of o-ring that is 45mm x 3.55mm would be even better choice.

Last edited: