Emissions light in 09 Jetta

bhunt70

TDI
none
A couple weeks ago my light came on indicating what I think is for emissions (looks like an engine). The light was solid, not blinking. I took it to an autozone and the gave me a code P2084 (fuel temperature sensor?).

For the last 2 days when I drive the car the light has been off. Still get it checked out or let it ride?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
How did you scan for codes? Did you use a generic OBDII code reader or did you use a VW specific code reader (like VCDS)? If you can find someone near you with VCDS, you might be able to get more information.

That said, A quick Google search shows that a P2084 DTC usually indicates a problem with an EGT sensor (Exhaust Gas Temperature). However this is diesel truck info, I didn't find any VW specific information. A true VW scan tool will usually give you other trouble code info along with the generic OBDII P-code. It could be as simple as a bad sensor or a damaged wire, or it could be a more serious problem with regenerations or other emissions functions. Our cars actually have 4 EGT sensors, so more VW specific information would be very helpful.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Doesn't your dealer offer free scans of codes?
Most of the dealers I know of charge between $100 and $120 for a scan. Most will deduct this cost if they fix the problem, but if all you want is the scan - it usually costs about a third of the cost for VCDS (or more).

Have Fun!

Don