Well I went and done it

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Went to dealer today to look at the new Passat demo as I really wanted a little bit more room than the Jetta can provide. Ended up leaving with a TDI SE with sunroof DSG that they had on the lot, so far I am loving it. Was able to get 1.9% for 60 months and actually had equity in my Jetta even with 50k miles in 2 years. Really rainy and nasty today but when it clears up I will post pics.

pb88

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Congrats! I got the same thing. What color? You list tint in your signature, who did it and what kind?

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
It's the platinum grey with the grey interior. Tint is Llumar I think, I know it has a lifetime warranty. actually being done today just went ahead and updated profile once. Local guy I have known since college runs a home tint business is doing it for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Congratulations! Mine's a step up (SEL Premium), had it for a couple weeks now and already have 2,600 miles on it.

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
skinnyb, congratulations on the 2012 Passat. I'm loving mine. Personally I think it's one of the best riding (comfort) midsize sedan's I've driven.

pb88

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
That's awesome. Mine is Platinum Grey too (but with black interior). Can you post a pic of your car once the tint is done? I am actually having mine tinted tomorrow and was thinking 30 or 35% so I'd be curious what 20% looks like.

TheGrove, how on earth did you put 2600 miles in two weeks? I am coming up on my 2 week mark and only have 600+ miles on it.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Will do. The sun is out here finally so I can wash it up and maybe get a couple of decent pics. Having the tint done this afternoon so it will be dark when it is done. Will try to get some pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Well tint is still in progress. Decided to go 35% since it is easier for legalities and what is done looks really good so far.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
That's awesome. Mine is Platinum Grey too (but with black interior). Can you post a pic of your car once the tint is done? I am actually having mine tinted tomorrow and was thinking 30 or 35% so I'd be curious what 20% looks like.

TheGrove, how on earth did you put 2600 miles in two weeks? I am coming up on my 2 week mark and only have 600+ miles on it.
The same way I put 276,000 on my 04 before it was totaled.;) I have a 110 mile commute one way so I end up with about 240 miles on the car each day.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
For all you new passat buyers, keep this in mind;
Clear Bra, asap if not before you receive it.
It was probably the best thing I did when I bought my 2005.
Don't forget the headlights and foglights for rock protection.
If I were to buy any new car again, I would insist on it prior to delivery.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
For all you new passat buyers, keep this in mind;
Clear Bra, asap if not before you receive it.
It was probably the best thing I did when I bought my 2005.
Don't forget the headlights and foglights for rock protection.
If I were to buy any new car again, I would insist on it prior to delivery.
abc,

I have had no issues or need for the bra on either of the 05's. What have you experienced that makes you say this? For those of us in wet climates the bra can be problematic with trapping moisture against the paint surface.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Clear bra traps nothing because it is a film that protects the paint surface from any and all road debris. A stray piece of 2x4 even hit my front bumper on the highway with no damage to the paint. Even small bits like sand/salt for snow will affect the front paint surfaces. It also prevents the headlight lenses from hazing due to sun and oxygen exposure.
I'll bet your front bumper/cover does not look as good as your rear one and a few years...

Last edited:

pb88

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
FYI my car got done with the tinting today. I ended up going with 30% Formula 1 Pinnacle Ceramic film (actual transmission in conjunction with the factory glass measured 24% which is the legal limit for my state). I will post pics soon.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Clear bra traps nothing because it is a film that protects the paint surface from any and all road debris. A stray piece of 2x4 even hit my front bumper on the highway with no damage to the paint. Even small bits like sand/salt for snow will affect the front paint surfaces. It also prevents the headlight lenses from hazing due to sun and oxygen exposure.
I'll bet your front bumper/cover does not look as good as your rear one and a few years...
My two 05's came with that already applied. As well I saw it on the 2012 TDI SEL I test drove.

I thought it was something else. :)

k.mojo

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Manual
Awesome!!! That was my first choice of color, but the wife wanted beige interior (as do I) so had to go with Tungsten.

Really sharp car! Hope you enjoy!

321drvr

TDI
2012 TDI Passatt SEL Prem. Chevy Volt
Took the leap also

Just picked up my 2012 Passat SEL Premium on Wednesday. Took the roadtrip from PA to South FL Good thing there were two of us so we could play with and learn all of the features on the NAV, audio and the vehical itself. Also I was suprised to get 43MPG already on this 100 mile trip...Love the handling, ride and overall quality of this vehical. Platinum Silver DSG, Black interior

AstroEng

TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Golf TDI (Sold)
Picked up our Night Blue TDI SE yesterday morning in Colorado and drove it home to New Mexico. Averaged 43 MPG doing 75 along I-25 with the A/C going...

Night Blue DSG with Moonrock Interior and the Chrome Strips