Anyone else get this for their car that got the Gen 2 fix?

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Anyone else get this?

"Dear Volkswagen Owner or Lessee,

Our records indicate that you are the owner or lessee of a Generation 2 model year 2012-2014 TDI Passat (“Gen 2 Passat”) with an automatic transmission, and that you received the Approved Emissions Modification (“AEM”) for your Gen 2 Passat. This notice is to inform you that Volkswagen has identified a problem with the AEM that was installed in your vehicle.

Volkswagen has determined that the AEM installed in Gen 2 Passat vehicles injects an inadequate amount of Diesel Exhaust Fluid when driven over 128km/h for 15 minutes or longer. The 15 minutes do not have to be continuous. The issue can occur after 15 minutes driven over separate driving periods. This issue causes a Malfunction Indicator Light (“MIL”), i.e. the dashboard warning lights, to illuminate. If your MIL illuminates, Volkswagen recommends that you visit an authorized Volkswagen dealer as soon as it is safe to do so. The authorized dealer will turn off the MIL free of charge. The MIL will not illuminate again unless the vehicle is driven over 128km/h for another 15 minutes or longer.

If you do not visit a dealer after your MIL illuminates, you will hear an audible warning chime. After 300 kilometres, the vehicle will not restart after it is shut off.

Volkswagen is awaiting U.S Environmental Protection Agency approval of the software calibration update to correct this issue. Once approved, you will receive a notice informing you that the software update is available. You may then bring your Gen 2 Passat to your authorized Volkswagen dealer who will update the software calibration in your vehicle free of charge. Volkswagen recommends avoiding driving over 128km/h until the software calibration in your vehicle has been updated. For more details, please see the emissions recall update letter available here.

If you have any questions, you may visit www.VWCanadaSettlement.ca for more information or contact the Canadian Settlement Claims Centre at 1-888-670-4773.

Sincerely,

RicePoint Administration Inc.

RECEIPT OF THIS NOTICE DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ARE A SETTLEMENT CLASS MEMBER OR THAT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO RECEIVE SETTLEMENT BENEFITS"

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I paid $500 for a clock spring, hope I get my warranty extension before vw finds out the vin was totaled

FedAgent1896

TDI
2014 Passat SEL Premium
Anyone else get this?
"Dear Volkswagen Owner or Lessee,
Our records indicate that you are the owner or lessee of a Generation 2 model year 2012-2014 TDI Passat (“Gen 2 Passat”) with an automatic transmission, and that you received the Approved Emissions Modification (“AEM”) for your Gen 2 Passat. This notice is to inform you that Volkswagen has identified a problem with the AEM that was installed in your vehicle.
Volkswagen has determined that the AEM installed in Gen 2 Passat vehicles injects an inadequate amount of Diesel Exhaust Fluid when driven over 128km/h for 15 minutes or longer. The 15 minutes do not have to be continuous. The issue can occur after 15 minutes driven over separate driving periods. This issue causes a Malfunction Indicator Light (“MIL”), i.e. the dashboard warning lights, to illuminate. If your MIL illuminates, Volkswagen recommends that you visit an authorized Volkswagen dealer as soon as it is safe to do so. The authorized dealer will turn off the MIL free of charge. The MIL will not illuminate again unless the vehicle is driven over 128km/h for another 15 minutes or longer.
If you do not visit a dealer after your MIL illuminates, you will hear an audible warning chime. After 300 kilometres, the vehicle will not restart after it is shut off.
Volkswagen is awaiting U.S Environmental Protection Agency approval of the software calibration update to correct this issue. Once approved, you will receive a notice informing you that the software update is available. You may then bring your Gen 2 Passat to your authorized Volkswagen dealer who will update the software calibration in your vehicle free of charge. Volkswagen recommends avoiding driving over 128km/h until the software calibration in your vehicle has been updated. For more details, please see the emissions recall update letter available here.
If you have any questions, you may visit www.VWCanadaSettlement.ca for more information or contact the Canadian Settlement Claims Centre at 1-888-670-4773.
Sincerely,
RicePoint Administration Inc.
RECEIPT OF THIS NOTICE DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ARE A SETTLEMENT CLASS MEMBER OR THAT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO RECEIVE SETTLEMENT BENEFITS"
My car sat at a dealership in St. Cloud, MN from February 16, 2018 until I picked it up on Nov 16th, 2018. I took it in for the not yet identified problem that was mentioned in that letter. They knew something was wrong back in February because there was a VW Tech Tip - 26-12-02 that said I could either drive the car and come in and have the MIL turned off for free, or if I didn't want to do that, I was to be given a loaner vehicle. I had a loaner vehicle until I moved out of state when they switched me in to a rental car. I had the rental car from the beginning of June until I drove back to get my car in November. Kept 12,000 miles off my ride this year for their mistake.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I got the letter a couple of says ago indicating that there's now a fix for the issue.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Me too! Left two message for vw service to set appointment, still no follow up... wonderful customer service those dealers have!

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
I received the original notice awhile back, but have not received a notification of the 'fix' as of yet.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I got the 'we have a fix for this' letter this past Wednesday . . . have not yet had a chance to try to get it done.

Last edited: