2" lift springs "Custom Suspension in Canada" anyone using these?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I have been looking into lifting my Wagon and all the options through the vendors seem to be installed on my car.
After looking around a bit I came across Custom Suspension in Abbotsford BC Canada.
https://customsuspension.com/collec...ch-custom-front-rear-coils?variant=1724299332

I was curious if any ones else is running these springs and what their thoughts on them are.
They state they are heavier duty, with added capacity for towing, than stock and will lift the car 2".

I would prefer not to order completely blind!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I have been looking into lifting my Wagon and all the options through the vendors seem to be installed on my car.
After looking around a bit I came across Custom Suspension in Abbotsford BC Canada.
https://customsuspension.com/collec...ch-custom-front-rear-coils?variant=1724299332

I was curious if any ones else is running these springs and what their thoughts on them are.
They state they are heavier duty, with added capacity for towing, than stock and will lift the car 2".

I would prefer not to order completely blind!
i just got some coil rite bags for the back of mine. put 2 hocley pucks on bottom of each. no more saggy a$$. Cheapest option. and the 2wd tiguan front springs are good for the front.

WattIsGoingOnHere

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
i just got some coil rite bags for the back of mine. put 2 hocley pucks on bottom of each. no more saggy a$$. Cheapest option. and the 2wd tiguan front springs are good for the front.
You are exactly why people who modify their cars the right way get a bad rapor...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Burgan

TDI
2003 Golf TDI GL
Reviving this thread just so OP and followers have info.

Currently having a local shop install these Canadian springs on my mk4 golf. My brief emails with the creator of these springs stated they are stiffer. Spring coil diameter is bigger.

I did pre installation measurements on my golf and I'll do post once I get it back. Will also try and follow up with another measurements post after a few 1000 miles or so just to see what settling does.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Burgan

TDI
2003 Golf TDI GL
Also on another note Jeep springs are super popular in the mk4 lifted community. The sounds like people are getting close to 4" lift in the rear and 2-3" lift in the front (seems engine type dependant). But seems like most going this route prefer to cut a coil off the rear to level it out.

Also, there's a trend to put the mk5 strut top into the mk4s and use spacers above the strut top to lift without adding compression on the stock springs beyond the stock setup.

And there is a lifted VW Facebook group that has tons of posts about lifts and all the options out there that have been tried. https://www.facebook.com/groups/555752681247650/

Burgan

TDI
2003 Golf TDI GL
Shop finished the car just a little bit ago, so I drove it home and remeasured parked in the same spot.

Before:
Front Driver: 26" Front Pass: 25.5"
Rear Driver: 27.25" Rear Pass: 27.25"

After:
Front Driver: 28.5" Front Pass: 28.5"
Rear Driver: 28.5" Rear Pass: 28.5"

Burgan

TDI
2003 Golf TDI GL
Beef on a budget springs plus a spacer will end up being cheaper than the custom ones. im running a 1.5" lift feel free to ask any questions
Very true, I looked into the budget spring route and spacers. I think the only way I'd run spacers in the front is if I went to the mk5 strut top conversion. So I don't limit the travel on the softer stock springs.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Beef on a budget springs plus a spacer will end up being cheaper than the custom ones. im running a 1.5" lift feel free to ask any questions
What springs you running ?

So vr6 auto fronts and HD wagon towing rears
That’s great for a car but what about a wagon.

some are reporting 2” with Tiguan springs on all 4 corners. Im skeptical cuz everyone I’ve talked says they are running mk5 tops but too. I don’t wanna do all that drilling.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
You are exactly why people who modify their cars the right way get a bad rapor...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
I was saying a puck under the bags. I never did. Only installed the bags. Has worked fine for 60k miles. Towed some heavy trailers too. I mainly got them because my rear springs were really sagged.
Even cheaper lifts have a 1.5" spacer that goes above the struts and a 2" cup that goes under the rear spring. It's $200. And is fast to put in and take out for the seasons.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Funny, haven’t visited this thread for a while.

I did end up installing upgraded suspension, beef on a budget is what I was trying to avoid! Sorry but it’s just not right to do suspension lifts with spacers.

I ended up ordering increased height and weight springs from a company out of Kansas City and installing Bilstein HD shocks front and rear with a small shim in the front. She rides level with a load and still running good.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Shop finished the car just a little bit ago, so I drove it home and remeasured parked in the same spot.

Before:

After:

Curious how it rides today.

TwistedSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta tdi

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Oh; I thought those springs would take you higher. Years ago when I did my Jetta I used spacers 2.3” and was sitting at 29-3/4 to the inner fender, actually bad to pull up the photo and verify. So Tiguan lift springs probably give a little more lift than the kid idparts sells…

I bet Tiguan springs are similar to the vr6 auto wagon HD towing rears. I’m lifting a wage. This time and I want an even 2” just cuz I loved the clearance last time

TDI
2006 BEW
Weird, I just came here to ask opinions on Koni SRT.T struts and shocks with the "wagon spring kit" from idparts.

I am not looking for crazy height and I don't want to use spacers on the front strut mounts.

"Koni STR.T Strut and Shock Set (A4 Jetta Wagon) 8750-1002/8050-1017 | IDParts.com - Diesel Parts" https://www.idparts.com/koni-strt-s...n-8750-10028050-1017-p-1155.html#product_tabs

"Jetta Wagon Lift Springs Set A4 1J0411105CD 1J0511115AN 4095093/4295133 | IDParts.com - Diesel Parts" https://www.idparts.com/lift-spring...1105cd-1j0511115an-40950934295133-p-5966.html

They're both on sale right now too. Any thoughts on these?

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
What does all this to to front end alignment? How do you adjust it properly after raising the car? (i always wanted to raise mine a couple inches)

TDI
2006 BEW
You would definitely require an alignment after lifting these cars. I believe it slightly shortens your wheelbase as well.

TwistedSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta tdi
i have been driving my car with this lift about a year now and have not noticed any uneven ware on the tires. So i think as long as u dont go to crazy on the lift it would really not effect the alignment much.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you raise the car over 1.5" front camber will go positive and out of spec, but not so far as to cause uneven tire wear. You fill find the car really likes to go straight, and will have more understeer when cornering.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
My first mk4 list was a sedan.

I had no alignment issues, rear camber was off a little but not bad. It is fixable with shims. Car drove straight. Minimal tire wear But I HATED the ride Sornetimes.

——————
springs on sale I’ve been eyeing but I want a better spring up front. I personally THINk that Tiguan lift springs MIGHT be better because the front won’t need a spacer to get 2” like yhe wagon/vr6 combo does.

Finally, I’ll echo this, anything over 2” and you need extensions for the shocks / struts.
If you lift your 1.5” I don’t think there will be harshness or bottoming out like my old setup!

Personally I’m debating 1” or 2” ?
if I get the 2” I’ll get the euro wise front shock extenders, they are cool and simple…

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
My Golf has 2" spacers with normal springs in front and wagon towing springs in back with purple poly bushings in front. I had VR6 springs the before and they were way too harsh with 2" spacers & stock bushings and hard to install even with professional compressor. I like how the golf handles now. It is firm and responds well in the corners. It does have understeer. Im not a race car driver but i do drive a lot of windy back roads and dirt. There was a clear difference in handling.

I found with the lift that stock rear LCA bushings wear out fast, That is why i went with Poly. I got tired of replacing them every 30k. The TT bushings might be better. I have 75K on my Polys now. The ride is harsher than stock bushings but i will take it over working on the car more.

I never had alignment issues. I did my only alignment after my 1st 2" lift install. They only adjusted toe. since them i just use a tape measure across the front and back of the tires for toe. I have done 2 full suspensions after this alignment. I only rotate when i change from summers to winters. I get slight inner tire wear on the rears because of camber built into the beam, so i put the on the front the next year. I had more wear issues at stock height and with bad bushings. I think the raised height is more forgiving for reasons that I don't understand.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If you raise the car over 1.5" front camber will go positive and out of spec, but not so far as to cause uneven tire wear. You fill find the car really likes to go straight, and will have more understeer when cornering.
That is exactly what happened when I raised mine 2", although I filed the holes in the LCA's just enough to bring the camber back to spec. 48,000+ on my Geolanders and no uneven wear to be seen.

TDI
2006 BEW
Weird, I just came here to ask opinions on Koni SRT.T struts and shocks with the "wagon spring kit" from idparts.

I am not looking for crazy height and I don't want to use spacers on the front strut mounts.

"Koni STR.T Strut and Shock Set (A4 Jetta Wagon) 8750-1002/8050-1017 | IDParts.com - Diesel Parts" https://www.idparts.com/koni-strt-s...n-8750-10028050-1017-p-1155.html#product_tabs

"Jetta Wagon Lift Springs Set A4 1J0411105CD 1J0511115AN 4095093/4295133 | IDParts.com - Diesel Parts" https://www.idparts.com/lift-spring...1105cd-1j0511115an-40950934295133-p-5966.html

They're both on sale right now too. Any thoughts on these?
Any input on these for a wagon?

blacky7055

TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 5 speed

Before:

After:

i see it has been a couple of years, I like the post and the details on the spring and hieght gain. Wondering if you have a feedback on the lift with the custom suspension springs from Abbotsford.
How is ride quality?
Did you use factory shocks front and rear?
Did you have to add any shock extensions?
Tire size used?
photos?
experience and satisfaction with the height gain?
reliable?

just suggestions for feedback but really want to know anything anyone has to say about either option. I am just looking for input to decide on the Tiguan lift or this spring lift. My front springs are broken right now so it is the time to upgrade. I am looking for extra ground clearance while still maintaining some level of fuel efficiency, power and reliability. Mainly to be able to get out of my driveway without scraping the front, a bit more confidence when driving gravel/logging roads to not destroy an oil pan And the rise out of the snow in winter a bit. I will likely go up to 205/75/15 or 215/75/15, knowing I will loose a bit to tire size and power.
thank you for your time and response.

ryan

scoopGBB

TDI
99 Bug
Has anyone used a kit from VW Lift Kits?

Also, are there any other options that are more easily available in Canada? I thought VW Lift Kits Stage 1 was a bit spendy, but it's cheaper than what IDParts has listed.