Ipod/Android & Phone integration with OEM Radio

TDI
04 BEW Golf
Here's a write-up of the installation of a GROM-Audio iphone/Aux/Android interface for all VW/Audi from 1998 to 2011, as long as the OEM radio controls a CD changer this interface will work with it.

It also has an option to add Bluetooth capability to it, for both music playback and phone integration. You can skip/forward/backward songs on your iphone with the radio's control and also answer/call/end calls through those same buttons. Also works with steering wheel controls.

At 150$ all in, this is a great option for any VW owner, see review/install below.

Installed a on 2005 TDI Passat with double DIN monsoon radio.

What you get in the box, also displayed optional bluetooth/microphone and iphone charging/playback cable:

You'll need for install:
*Radio removal tools
*electrical tape&tie wraps
*screwdriver assortment
*Plastic trim removal tool

Remove radio with removal tools:

Remove connector at back radio and extract blue connector (stock CD changer harness), there's a tab you push on on the connector for it to swivel up for the radio connector, the CD changer connector also as a tab that will make it come out the back of the radio's connector.

Install GROM audio white interface connector instead of OEM blue connector. You'll hear it click into place. Notice the loose wire on the grom's harness, will need to be grounded later (on one of the radio's screws at the back)

Time to run the iPhone cable to the interface from where you want it installed. We decided to put it in the armrest.

On a Passat the armrest cubby just pulls straight out, i drilled a 1/2" hole (in the front corner of the cubby, hidden out of sight) to run the iphone cable.

TDI
04 BEW Golf
Tucked the wire on the side of the console running up to the radio from the back of the glovebox area. And plugged in the Grom interface.

Time to install the Bluetooth adapter and run the microphone to the sunroof button area.

To insure we have the best Bluetooth signal possible and since the phone will also be in the armrest cubby I decide to glue the Bluetooth interface to the bottom of the armrest cubby with trim calk (dum-dum)

Remove the sunroof controls & trim and ran the microphone with down across the A-pillar to the bluetooth adapter under the armrest cubby:

TDI
04 BEW Golf
Pull the headliner back slightly (without putting a kink in it!) and run the microphone wire through the hole and in between the lip of the headliner and windshield down the A-pillar. The A-pillar trim is only clipped in put does have a curtain Airbag behind it, if you're unfamiliar with the precautions that need to be taken around Airbags you shouldn't attempt this installation!!!

Secure the microphone the harness running on the A-pillar being careful around the curtain airbag that's there.

Run the wire across the Fusebox area to the radio, i was able to snake the wire to the column first and then using a tiewrap snaked it to the radio. Then down the glovebox area to the armrest and bluetooth adapter (where is connects)

TDI
04 BEW Golf
Secured the microphone wirte to the Bluetooth adapter with electrical tape to make sure it doesn't disconnect itself with vibrations over time.

Reinstalled cubby/iphone cable in armrest:

Connect Grom harness ground wire to a screw on the back of the radio:

Glued the Grom interface with Dum-dum to the radio's holder (underneath radio) so it doesn't rattle and interfere with radio when going in.

Reinstall radio and microphone placement:

iPhone (4S) connected via Bluetooth and playing wirelessly, calls answered via steering wheel controls (scan up=answer scan down=end call):

Took an 1.5 hours to install but that was with me taking pictures for this post, could easily do it in 1/2hour once i've installed a couple of them. The longest part is running the microphone wire. Just the interface/iphone cable can be installed in 10-15mins.

I called my client with his newly installed interface and he commented the sound quality was the same as if I was talking to him in on my phone. It only skipped once, can't say if because of the interface, could also just be because of the phone's bluetooth, nothing's perfect.

Overall I rate it a solid 9/10 just because perfection doesn't exist.

As a side note I have a OEM Volk-L (@400$) Bluetooth VW radio in my MK4 BEW Golf and I get constant complaints that it sounds utterly bad, so much so my dad doesn't even want to talk to me when i'm on it. Plus the Volk-L can't be controlled with steering wheel controls.

Will be putting a double DIN radio and one of these back in it soon.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Any issues with charging an ipad? Is the 5v connector 1amp? Is the connector certified for Iphone4?

TDI
04 BEW Golf
Charges my iphone 4s and my client's (the passat owner in this thread) iphone 4 fine, i don't get the "iPhone accessory not supported device" error like I've seen with the VW interface.

Didn't try with an iPad, anything special with those?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Charges my iphone 4s and my client's (the passat owner in this thread) iphone 4 fine, i don't get the "iPhone accessory not supported device" error like I've seen with the VW interface.

Didn't try with an iPad, anything special with those?
Higher amperage compared to the iphone4

Morreale

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Is 150$ installed or just for the parts? Might need to add this to the list of things for you to do once back in ontario!

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Forgive my complete stereo illiteracy, so this is not compatible with my factory cd changer controlling 1996/1997 Passat stereo?

TDI
04 BEW Golf
The lowest year Grom lists info for is 1998, could you take a picture of the radio and maybe extract it to take pictures of the connectors at the back? I could tell you then if it will work.

Essentially if it has the blue connector pictured here at the back it *should* work:

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
interesting, will have to try this if my wiring does not work out.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes it does and the mic is a 3mm plug !
great! thanks. I'm in the process of replacing my DSP amp and as part of this I am reevaluating my hands free kit.

This product looks very promising. I just need to sort out some things before I'm ready to order. I did order the removal tools from you!

justuntlsundown

TDI
09 Jetta
Dave,

Does this offer any ability to browse by artist from the radio itself? Also, does it display any type of track information on the radio display? Thanks!

Tim$2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Great demo. You should be able to get plenty of business at that price too. I paid over $300 for either of my cars for iPhone integration and that's doing the install myself.

TDI
04 BEW Golf
Dave,

Does this offer any ability to browse by artist from the radio itself? Also, does it display any type of track information on the radio display? Thanks!
No it doesn't, you browse on the ipod/iphone (screen isn't locked with te VW interface)

They say it will show track info/name, it didn't work for us with a double din on the 2005 we did, i suspect the radio just doesn't that capability. May work with more recent OEM radios but haven't tried yet!

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Interesting. Did I spy a USB connector on that interface? How does the unit interface with the Androids? I have been having worse and worse reception with my Pioneer touch screen unit, and I have been thinking of tossing my stock (non monsoon) radio back in for some diagnostics. I dont have an OE cd changer, but Im sure that the radio could be adjusted with some quick coding changes, and wiring the unit in should be no issue regardless. Would that unit read a flash drive with music stored on it? Thats what I have been doing with my pioneer unit when radio static gets too bad. I actually think its the antenna adapter I had to use, I dont think it is powering the antenna like it should.

TDI
04 BEW Golf
The GromUSB unit does have a USB port on it, you can read a USB stick or plug in your Android (with your own android usb cable) to the USB port on the unit and skip/stop/advance etc... With the (free) AALinq app.

I installed one of these in a client's car and it works well. It can of course have an ipod (or iphone/ipad) connected to it too and a bluetooth/phone adapter also.

It's 50$ more than the standard GromAux though.

I'm adding all the Grom stuff to my site now, will be easy to buy/checkout after.

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
David put the Grom unit with Bluetooth and iPhone cable in my 06 today. It works perfectly. I can stream without the cable, charge with the cable, and make hands-free phone calls. The sound is great and the radio works well too.

David is highly knowledgeable, professional, and friendly. He did an outstanding job and does careful and neat work, which I appreciate. Ottawa was a little far to go but in the end I got a visit to a new city that is well worth seeing and a great upgrade to my radio. It is worth the trip!