Oil catch cans

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Just watched a video on adding an oil catch can. The claim was to keep oil from going back through intake from pcv. Thus protecting valve, turbo and intercooler systems. Opinions??? Thanks in advance.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Solution in search of a problem, to be honest. Plus, it presents the possibility of adding OTHER problems, such as leaks, as well as a frozen breather system which can result in some major problems like a broken valve cover. Ask BMW about that one, LOL. :p

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Why is what little oil that comes from the breather in a healthy engine an issue? Its unsightly but only if you're inside the charge pipe system. Id venture to say your turbo probably weeps more than the breather.

I am a huge fan of road draft tubes like what's found on older far less epa friendly diesels. This is usually acceptable in 4x4s, trail rigs and equipment but the coating of oil may upset your state inspection if you have one(i don't) and might not give your passat that clean look you're going for with an oil misted under carriage. Great for preventing rust!!!

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Thank you.

Thank you for your responses gentlemen. I won't be bothering with the catch can.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
It's my opinion that the oil from the turbo and PCV that coats the intake piping is beneficial for the engine. The oil clings to the insides of the pipes and catches any dust/dirt that gets into the intake tract from leaks, maintenance or neglect and stops it from getting into the cylinders where it can cause damage.

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
'Provent' offered a product years ago that I installed on our fairly new '05 BHW wagon. It froze up in the cold and caused a 'limp mode' issue that I'm not sure what it was. It came off shortly after I installed it. It sounded like a good idea at the time [emoji849]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Catch cans made a lot of sense when we were dealing with 500ppm sulfur diesel. At 15ppm today, it is essentially a non issue. The tune on mine does have egr function dialed down. I haven't checked the intake in a few years. I should probably do that.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you to everyone for your responses.