Does the Passat Bentley cover the bhw?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
You are correct Uberhare.

The electronic Bentley is intolerable to deal with IMO.

I would get a 1 day subscription to Erwin and download everything you want or need.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
if you have the DVD, you can call Bentley they will make available to you a windows 10 version, a reusable download to your computer. Yes, it is difficult to navigate but you can figure it out.

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
if you have the DVD, you can call Bentley they will make available to you a windows 10 version, a reusable download to your computer. Yes, it is difficult to navigate but you can figure it out.
Hmm thanks I will check that out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
That's news to me. Good to know.

However, It is still cheaper and easier to use the Erwin website to get what you need and I have the Bentley disc!

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
That's news to me. Good to know.

However, It is still cheaper and easier to use the Erwin website to get what you need and I have the Bentley disc!
Exactly... and ERWIN is effectively where Bentley would have gotten their information from anyway. You're just cutting out the middle man.

For $35 for 24 hours access, if you're real dedicated, you can download a whole hell of a lot of repair info for several cars, not just one.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
I've been looking for a manual for our two new B5 Passats, but the Bentley site doesn't appear to stock the CDs any longer. My past dreadful experience with the C4 Audi CDs makes me disinclined to pursue any further Bentley electronic products, anyway. Would a Mk5 Golf/Jetta manual have enough similarity with the BHW to make it useful?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The A5 cars have virtually nothing in common with the B5. So no, you really would get nothing useful.

oilhammer

TDI
The BHW shares very little with the BRM. They are the same engine family, so a few things are at least similar. I'd say the B5's systems have more in common with the A4 platform cars than the A5. The B5 is older than either of them, so when the A4 platform came along they just lifted a few things from the big brother. The A5 is completely clean slate. But still, the B5 is very different in many other regards. Its front suspension is ENTIRELY different. It's A/C system is different (it uses an orifice tube system, not an expansion valve). Its cooling system is totally different... no fan control module (except the W8s), just a simple old fashioned relay and series resistor. The BHW's engine management is the simplest of the three PDs we got here. But there are three completely different automatics used behind the PDs that share nothing, not even who made them.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The Bentley I have for B5 Passats does not have the info for the bhw engine. I got one on vortex and was bummed when I found it was only for the gassers.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on a used set of Bentleys last night, but read the fine print on the cover and realized there was no diesel mentioned.

oilhammer

TDI
If you won't do the Erwin, or Alldata, or whatever, you could probably get a fair amount of information with the B5 Bentley paper manual and the A4 Bentley paper manual. Those will at least cover all of the CAR aside from the engine proper specifics, and the BEW is in the A4 manual which is probably the closest other PD engine we had here... you should be able to get by with very few gaps in total coverage, anyway.