2019 Transit Connect Wagon announced, 1.5 diesel for US market

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Here, low fuel taxes mean that there's not much room for natural gas to go unless it's simply cheaper. Which, actually, it is, thanks to fracking here... But the other issues basically mean it's used almost exclusively on things like government fleet trucks and city buses, that operate in a small radius (especially in an urban core, where low tailpipe emissions are more important) and return to a depot.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Comparing the Ford Transit Connect Passenger Wagon to the VW Caddy might give us a glimpse of the expected fuel economy. Few entries for the VW Caddy diesel in Fuelly show an overall average of around 35 MPG while if I use this site:

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/models/caddy-life.html

and convert the shown 129 grams/Km of CO2 (2.0TDI 102PS 6-speed DSG) I get something like 48 MPG (US) which I do not think is realistic at all.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Comparing the Ford Transit Connect Passenger Wagon to the VW Caddy might give us a glimpse of the expected fuel economy.
Why not use websites like spritmonitor.de which are full of real-world fuel economy logs?

In Europe, the Transit Connect wagon is just called the Tourneo Connect.

Automatic:
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/over...=120&gearing=2&exactmodel=connect&powerunit=2

Manual:
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/over...=120&gearing=1&exactmodel=connect&powerunit=2

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Why not use websites like spritmonitor.de which are full of real-world fuel economy logs?
In Europe, the Transit Connect wagon is just called the Tourneo Connect.
Automatic:
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/over...=120&gearing=2&exactmodel=connect&powerunit=2
Manual:
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/over...=120&gearing=1&exactmodel=connect&powerunit=2
Thanks good suggestion. So the automatic Ford Tourneo Connect averages around 34 MPG (US). Not bad for an average, meaning on the pure highway probably averaging 38 MPG is achievable with the automatic transmission and the vehicle fully loaded with four people and luggage going around 75 MPH (120 Km/h).

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
It is hard to understand how the Ford Transit Connect will not have the LED headlights option. That sounds so backwards for a vehicle to be released for next year :(

The passenger version of the Transit Connect is called the Tourneo Connect here, and I like it quite a lot.
After comparing a lot, the pros and cons are:
Caddy:
Pro:
  • Available 2-liter diesel if you want power
  • Available natural gas version
  • Available AWD version
  • Available xenon headlights
  • Available keyless entry
  • Comes in fantastic colors
  • A bit more interior space
Con:
  • More expensive
  • Old platform shows in some points (example: Low mounted infotainment screen)
  • Rides a bit truckier (Leaf springs, solid rear axle)
Tourneo Connect:
Pro:
  • Great value, especially as a Titanium
  • Huge panoramic roof comes standard in the Titanium
  • Better ride & handling
Con:
  • No powerful diesel
  • No natural gas version
  • No gasoline powered version in LWB
  • No optional xenon/LED headlights
  • No available keyless entry

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
It is hard to understand how the Ford Transit Connect will not have the LED headlights option. That sounds so backwards for a vehicle to be released for next year :(
Agreed. But the press release on Ford Germany's website talks of available xenon for the refreshed model.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Agreed. But the press release on Ford Germany's website talks of available xenon for the refreshed model.
Well, that's great although LED would be better than xenon in my view.

In any case i appreciate the comparison to the VW Caddy TDI. Not that in the US we have a choice but there it is helpful as there is very little experience with these kind of vehicles in North America for passenger transport and none with a diesel engine of course.

Speaking of which, anything additionally you can share with us in terms of problems/issues with the Ford 1.5L diesel engine and the automatic transmission?

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The 8-speed auto is new for the new model year, so no idea how well that is going to work. Ford Germany just posted the price list yesterday. (Yay, xenons! Yay, keyless entry! Yay, Euro 6d-temp emissions compliance!)

https://www.ford.de/content/dam/gux...ew-tourneo-connect/PL-new_Tourneo_Connect.pdf

The 6DCT451 transmission used before is pretty robust, apparently. No horror stories in the forums. The engine is good and used all over the Ford lineup.

https://www.ford.de/produktneuheiten/der-neue-ford-tourneo-connect

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Hopefully it (and its 9-speed GM relative) work well, otherwise a hell of a lot of transmissions are going to be replaced.

(Basically, GM designed a 9-speed transverse automatic that Ford partially funded, Ford found that the 9th gear was unnecessary and left the parts necessary to engage it off on the Ford versions. Conversely, Ford designed a 10-speed longitudinal automatic that GM partially funded.)

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
As a bare bones minivan its proving more and more popular. At least it has some style to it unlike the first generation

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think both the first and second gen Connects look fine, they both followed the prevailing styling trend with other Ford products at the time. I do prefer the newer ones more as well, though. But let's face it, the commercial buyers, that segment's largest customer, doesn't care much about styling. They care about purchase cost, low cost of operation, and the vehicle's ability to do its intended job.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I first heard about this van just yesterday. Seems interesting.

I look forward to the pricing, when it's announced. That will decide whether I remain interested, or just say "Meh, too expensive" and keep driving the Golf indefinitely.

On the Ford Canada website, they say the diesel engine will be standard on short wheelbase passenger models. Pretty unusual to see a diesel as the base engine on anything these days!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Apparently the diesel version of the Transit Connect Wagon is kaput or dead on arrival :-(( due to 'low demand'. Ford claims that the gasoline version is already 'efficient enough'.

Yes 'efficient enough' for American standards when the gallon of gasoline is averaging in the neighborhood of $2.75 gallon or $0.73/liter. Right now Fuelly.com shows for 2018 Ford Transit Connect with the 2.5L gasoline engine averaging 26 MPG. I cannot imagine the diesel version with the 1.5L engine will not be at least 20% more efficient on the average giving us around 31 MPG.

Well it is what it is with whatever light duty vehicles are on the market for the foreseeable future (mostly vehicles with small cargo space unfortunately).

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Apparently the diesel version of the Transit Connect Wagon is kaput or dead on arrival :-((
Meanwhile, Europe only gets the diesel (in the LWB). The short wheelbase TC can be had with a manual-only 1.0 Ecoboost as well.

If you want a naturally aspirated Ford in Europe, you have to buy a base engine (1.1) Fiesta or a 5.0 Mustang...

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Meanwhile, Europe only gets the diesel (in the LWB). The short wheelbase TC can be had with a manual-only 1.0 Ecoboost as well.
If you want a naturally aspirated Ford in Europe, you have to buy a base engine (1.1) Fiesta or a 5.0 Mustang...
From a purely economics point of view I guess it makes sense. In Western Europe for example the average cost of diesel fuel is in the range of 5 to 6 US$ a gallon while in the USA is something on the order of 2.50 to 3.50 US$. Easily half the cost ? Huge difference no doubt and it reflects clearly on the difference if cost/benefit and return on investment between a vehicle in the US vs Europe!