Melted Headlight Harness

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Hi all. So I bought some cheap e-codes online a few years back. Anyway I've discovered the one wiring harness is melted where it connects to the bulb. Is this potentially because they came with higher wattage bulbs?? What else should I look at?

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Just cheap parts. Mine did the same thing. I went to an auto parts store (Car Quest) and got heavy duty replacements.

lirunaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI, Model Year:2006 Code:6 MFG:07/05 Vin:9BWGR61J364004114 Sales Model:9B1 538 Description:1.9 TDI High 100 Engine:BEW Type:TD CCM:1896 KW:74 Description:Pumpe-D... Transmission:GPC Type:A Number:09AH GVWR:4097 Front:2269 Rear:1850
I would also like to know what needs to be replaced. It looks like I may have to replace both light bulb housings unless they sell the wiring separately. One bulb goes out and the parts guy up-sells me to buy the heavy duty bulbs. I put the heavy duty bulbs in and they burn out within a few weeks. The insulation on all the wires overheated and cracks off at touch. I taped the wires the best I can.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
You can buy a replacement harness from fixmyvw.com. It is much better wiring than the original.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
I haven't looked close enough but is it necessary to remove the entire lamp assembly to replace the parts??

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just cut off the old fixture and soldered on the new ones. On my fake lights the wires were pretty long so I did it with them in the vehicle.

Granted, it wasn't a lot of fun.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
When you say cheap e-codes, are you referring to an eBay special? Or headlights made by FK? I have the FK projector headlights and hope mine won't have this same issue. They weren't that cheap. Hopefully they hold up.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine were cheapo ebay lights. They sucked so much that when I bought them I complained and they refunded my money and told me to keep the lights.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
I just cut off the old fixture and soldered on the new ones. On my fake lights the wires were pretty long so I did it with them in the vehicle.

Granted, it wasn't a lot of fun.
So you basically just left the wiring and replaced the melted fixture/harness? How did it work? This is basically what I'm thinking of doing...

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
When you say cheap e-codes, are you referring to an eBay special? Or headlights made by FK? I have the FK projector headlights and hope mine won't have this same issue. They weren't that cheap. Hopefully they hold up.
Bought mine online for <$200. They actually look and work fairly good aside from this issue

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So you basically just left the wiring and replaced the melted fixture/harness? How did it work? This is basically what I'm thinking of doing...
I still have headlights. I haven't opened them back up to look. My one headlight was very dim, but if you wiggled the connector it would light back up. It had some burny and melty spots so I simply soldered new ones on and motored on. This was probably 4 months ago and I still have headlights.

DanVito

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon, BEW, 242k miles & counting
The insulation on my headlight harness was brittle and flaking off, so I replaced the with the harness TDI_G mentioned from AA Rodriguez (fixmyvw.com). It's not only good quality, but they make the harness with an additional connector that simplifies installation. Without that extra connector, you have to mess with the headlight housing to get a new harness in place. Taking out the headlights is easy.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm talking about the harness INSIDE the light, not the harness going to the headlight from the car. The eCodes uses a H4 bulb and the connector to that was bad in mine.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
These won't work for the OP then, because he has eCodes and it uses different bulbs.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
Says genuine OE components... I wonder what that means?
We sourced the terminals and most connector plugs from the same manufactures the VW purchased their components. The New Beetle harnesses actually use a reconditioned plug with all new terminals and wires, we weren't able to source the new connectors yet.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Hey so finally gonna tackle this tomorrow. So when I splice the new connector to the bulb on what steps should I take? Like as far as connecting? Twist and electrical tape? Solder? Crimps? Any input is appreciated!

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't want to admit it in public, but I used twist and tape. I'm sure the proper way is to use solder and shrink wrap.