Clamps for boost pipes

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
A few weeks ago I found myself under my car on the side of the road, re-clamping my boost pipes at the intercooler.
I have decided to change all my clamps to T-band clamps.
Does anyone know what size I will need for my Idparts 17/22 turbo outlet?

Last edited:

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
2' to 2 1/4"

"I" would not buy a t- bolt clamp. Others will say I'm crazy but i had your issue and a t-bolt clamp is too wide for the tiny turbo outlet and will not compress the hose enough to keep it from sliding past the barb.

I bought one of these

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10111&subdeptNum=10640&classNum=10686

after trying the following: OEM spring clamp, regular worm drive clamp and t-bolt clamp. I was under the car probably 10 times reinstalling the same or new clamps until I bought the one posted above.

Make sure you use some brake clean or something to clean the inside of hose and turbo fitting before you reinstall...........Good luck!!!

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
You can also get Awab worm drive clamps from McMaster or Grainger, same design as the above; embossed teeth rather then cut through.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
I agree that most T-Bolt clamps are too wide and don't fit the hose barb correctly, for our application.

The best solution I've found is the Tridon Thermal Flex.
1/2" wide, lined for hose protection, and also constant tension.
I get them from Grainger.

Tridon® Thermal Flex825 Series

The captured helical spring design provides a continuous load to compensate for hose compression and thermal dimensional changes (cold flow).

All 300 Stainless Steel
Screw: 5/16" hex-head, non-slotted. 300 stainless steel.
Lined Band: 1/2" band width, 300 stainless steel.
Housing: 300 stainless steel.
Spring: 300 stainless steel.

Mikalor also makes a suitable clamp, but I haven't been able to find a good source.

W3 S-Band Constant Tension Worm-Drive Clip