RNS-315 Question

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hello All. I recently ordered a Blue Graphite Metallic 2011 Golf TDI fully loaded with all options. I am disappointed that there is no way to substitute the RNS315 for the older RNS510, as I basically live in my car for work, and having a larger screen with DVD playing capabilities would really come in handy during the downtime that I am just sitting in the car.

My question is whether there is ANY possible way to play videos on an RNS-315 whether it be from an SD card, external HD, iPod, etc. Or am I sh*t out of luck and will have to buy an RNS-510 replica or the extremely pricey OEM RNS-510? Does anyone have any experience with the RNS-510 replicas?

tedkidd

TDI
11 JSW
Think about an iPad

The 315 apparently is much simpler than the 510. I like how easy it is to enter addresses.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
Think about an iPad
iPod Touch would be the one I think. Fits in the clove box. I think what you are asking is can it play music DVD's. The 510 cannot do that either. It can only play video DVD's and only when in Park.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Or get an aftermarket HU with nav and DVD capabilities. Aftermarket HUs are almost always better than the crappy VW units.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
Aftermarket HUs are almost always better than the crappy VW units.
I looked into this but the steering wheel controls are problematic with some aftermarket HU's (meaning they either don't work, or only work partially.). I think Kenwood comes pretty close and may even have an interface for the steering wheel controls.