Taking delivery of my new 2010 White Gold Jetta on Friday.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Wanted to thank you guys (the forums here in general), I did quite a few weeks worth of reading and lurking before I decided to buy/register. I definitely learned quite a bit :).

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
JM Popaleetus said:
I definitely learned quite a bit :).

Have you learned about your local dealer :confused:

Also, try the #16, it lasts much longer than the #26 :)

Welcome aboard, JM !!

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
dieseldorf said:
Have you learned about your local dealer :confused:

Also, try the #16, it lasts much longer than the #26 :)

Welcome aboard, JM !!
Well, so far Langlan (Meriden) has treated me with the utmost respect.

Very good first impression so far. And I called Chris, he generously confirmed that they were giving me an excellent price as well.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Welcome to the club.
Hardcore or not, I'd run in the OEM pads first. On the JSW, I find them plenty strong, very consistent and not terribly dusty.

FYI...my JSW break-in was possibly too gentle. My sedan break-in was closer to Drive-by-wire here, aggressive throttle, aggressive sustained engine braking.

May be just differences between my 2 cars, but the sedan feels quicker (I know, it's lighter!), and gets 3-4 more MPG than the JSW.

Just my 2cents worth!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I wasn't referring to the "deal" that you got from Langan, rather the service dept's ability to repair the car when it's broke :(

There have been quite a few earlier discussions on Langan...you might want to have a look.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
dieseldorf said:
I wasn't referring to the "deal" that you got from Langan, rather the service dept's ability to repair the car when it's broke :(

There have been quite a few earlier discussions on Langan...you might want to have a look.
I'll have to look into that. Luckily, I literally have 4 VW dealerships within 15 minutes of me.

Nevertheless, lets hope there isn't going to be a problem to begin with :).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if you do replace those pads with ceramic ones, i'd take the OEM ones off your hand. If you're getting a JSW i'd buy the rear pads, if it's a sedan, it'd take all 4 corners. PM me.

RedSoxFan

TDI
2004 Duramax, 2009 Jetta TDI
tdiatlast said:
Welcome to the club.
Hardcore or not, I'd run in the OEM pads first. On the JSW, I find them plenty strong, very consistent and not terribly dusty.

FYI...my JSW break-in was possibly too gentle. My sedan break-in was closer to Drive-by-wire here, aggressive throttle, aggressive sustained engine braking.

May be just differences between my 2 cars, but the sedan feels quicker (I know, it's lighter!), and gets 3-4 more MPG than the JSW.

Just my 2cents worth!
My wife has an 09 sedan and I drive a 10 JSW and I noticed that the sedan is quicker than the JSW. I'm thinking its the extra weight of JSW and not any break-in issues since my wife and I have similar driving styles. I recall that the JSW is about 300 Lbs heavier than the sedan.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
i would hold off on those ceramics for a while. I was surprised to see how little the brakes dust as compared to my precious cars. I guess i just may be used to how much the old cars dusted that these aren't bad in comparison

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
dpg said:
i would hold off on those ceramics for a while. I was surprised to see how little the brakes dust as compared to my precious cars. I guess i just may be used to how much the old cars dusted that these aren't bad in comparison
740GLE said:
if you do replace those pads with ceramic ones, i'd take the OEM ones off your hand. If you're getting a JSW i'd buy the rear pads, if it's a sedan, it'd take all 4 corners. PM me.
I'll keep this in mind :).

Forgot to mention one other possibility, I may get a metal skid plate as well.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
JM Popaleetus said:
I'll keep this in mind :).

Forgot to mention one other possibility, I may get a metal skid plate as well.
I don't think anyone will argue with that one!

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Nice looking car! I bet it looks even better in person. As others have stated, use caution when having the dealer perform work/repairs on your car. I think by now most dealers have been "handled" and "educated" by us 2009 owners that you should get "decent" service for these cars.

This forum has TONS of information and has been great for me as a new diesel owner. I'm sure you will find it just as valuable. As one member here put it... Drive More... Worry Less.
Enjoy your new ride!!!!
Mac

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
So I was cruising around the city tonight (getting 43MPG :cool:) when I realized my headlights were still in DRL mode. So I flipped the switch and wham, everything illuminated red :)p), made it much easier, especially when the sun fully set.

Anyway. I happened to notice that when I parked and shutoff the car, the headlights stayed on completely...even when I got out and locked the door. I ended up having to flip the switch back to 0/DRL mode.

My question is, does the car not automatically turn on/off the headlights in either mode? How exactly does this work?

alnmike

Veteran Member
TDI
In an 09, the headlight switch is either DRL or full lights. With full lights, they stay on regardless of everything. With DRL, the headlights are on at 80% (?) power, but no rear lights, and shut off when you engage the parking break (manual), or turn off the car (after a few sec).