Decisions, Decisions. Need Advice

Dkeener

TDI
2003 Jetta
Long time lurker, infrequent poster here. Need some advice.

I've got an '03 Jetta TDI with the dreaded 01M automatic transmission thats turning 90K Miles. I like driving the car but I'm worried about long term reliability. Help me with options I came up with.

1. Get rid of the car before having to invest in a timing belt, take my losses and feel good that I beat the transmission demons.

2. Replace the timing belt before the 100K interval and take my chances with the transmission. Dump the car when the trans goes belly up, if ever.

3. Replace the timing belt and start saving funds for the inevetable transmission replacement.

4. Any other suggestions y'all come up with.

I appreciate any input you may have.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Is the tranny acting up, or are you just paranoid,mine has 293,000km(18X,XXX miles).It ahs been rebuilt once due to Idiot not filling the case properly and burning out a bearing.That was over 100,000k ago and no problems.I say keep running it till it gives up,and then make you decision.
5speed or dump it then

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
Remove the TDI badge, and leave the car parked downtown with the keys in the ignition?

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIfor said:
Remove the TDI badge, and leave the car parked downtown with the keys in the ignition?
If it's that bad they won't steel it with the Auto in it.

Dkeener

TDI
2003 Jetta
Trans seems to be working well. Occasional soft clunk in 1-2 shift when cold but no other problems to speak of.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
If it is running good, I would keep the car since TDI and other car prices are in the tank. In a year or so when gas and fuel prices spike over $100/bbl, then go for the sale if you need to.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dkeener said:
Trans seems to be working well. Occasional soft clunk in 1-2 shift when cold but no other problems to speak of.
Get it flushed,new fluid and filter,$100 service

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
Dkeener said:
2. Replace the timing belt before the 100K interval and take my chances with the transmission. Dump the car when the trans goes belly up, if ever.
Are you sure the TB interval is 100K? I would double check, I know mine is (was), but it's a PD.

"if ever" -- wow, you're a real optimist. do the fluid/ filter maintanance then drive it till it dies and replace with 5-speed.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I'd do like the above says - proper maintenance now, and start collecting parts for the swap that will eventually need doing.

The alternative is take it in the shorts, because if you sold it to me, I'd already deduct what it would cost to do that TB and the transaxle swap.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
JASONP said:
If it's that bad they won't steel it with the Auto in it.
Actually, given the state of today's youth:rolleyes: and the scarcity of manual transmissions:mad:, I would think thieves would prefer automatics;)

As for what to do, have you considered swapping out the automatic and putting in a manual? Lots of how-to threads on that.

Last edited: