www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old January 20th, 2012, 12:40   #2416
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec and too many ALH Beetles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
Hard, if not impossible to do, since the whole fueling system is an integrated design by Bosch, probably with contracts signed for guaranteed quantities over the years to offset the R&D costs of design.

I seriously doubt, if VW and Bosch have done nothing for 4 years, that anything will ever be done to correct the flawed design. They've already tried 3 revisions on the pump, and 2012 pumps still fail and destroy the whole fuel system. I predict the resale value of these cars once out of warranty, and approaching the 90,000 mile VW "lifecycle", is going to plummet, like off a cliff. Waaaaaaay too expensive to fix all the potential failures, just in parts alone, let alone the labor and special equipment you need to "adapt" the whole new fuel system so it will run.
Those are my thought too. The 1st generation CR's will run out their ''expected'' service life and go by the wayside. The 2nd generation CR like the 2012 Passat will takes its place in the Jetta/Golf. VW learned a lot about CR's with the 1st generation and then corrected those faults in the 2nd generation.

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 13:15   #2417
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweisel View Post
Those are my thought too. The 1st generation CR's will run out their ''expected'' service life and go by the wayside. The 2nd generation CR like the 2012 Passat will takes its place in the Jetta/Golf. VW learned a lot about CR's with the 1st generation and then corrected those faults in the 2nd generation.
Have any 2012 Passats fragged themselves?
Old January 20th, 2012, 15:08   #2418
Second Turbo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38
Default max coverage?

Niner > ... not designed to run much more than 150,000 km or 90,000 miles, per volkswagens own statements.

What is the maximum mileage extended factory warranty coverage that you can buy from VW?

This isn't a rhetorical question.
I don't know.

TDI used to stand for Turbo Direct Injection
Until further notice, it now stands for
Time Delayed Implosion
and will keep me from replacing our PD until resolved.
Second Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 15:11   #2419
lsnover
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Turbo View Post
Niner > ... not designed to run much more than 150,000 km or 90,000 miles, per volkswagens own statements.

What is the maximum mileage extended factory warranty coverage that you can buy from VW?

This isn't a rhetorical question.
I don't know.

TDI used to stand for Turbo Direct Injection
Until further notice, it now stands for
Time Delayed Implosion
and will keep me from replacing our PD until resolved.
Well, I know the dealer I bought from had some certified models for sale with around 70K miles. Mine was 97K, but did not qualify for the Certified warranty based on mileage (so they told me). So somewhere between there I would guess.
lsnover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 15:37   #2420
darrelld
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitGTI View Post
Have any 2012 Passats fragged themselves?
None have been reported, in December dealers were allowed to sell the TDI SEL demos. I know my dealers demo had over 40,000 on it when sold and they used Walmart Diesel exclusively.
darrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 16:08   #2421
lsnover
Veteran Member

Did VW change their certified warranty? I just went to the web site, and it shows 2 yrs x 24 K miles bumper to bumper. Wasn't it 3 yrs and 36 K miles before?
Old January 21st, 2012, 18:21   #2422
madmako

Fuel Economy: +50 mpg hwy
Default Bosch only needs to make a pump to last 90,000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
In my opinion...

Most everything about this car is under engineered and not designed to run much more than .. 90,000 miles, per Volkswagens own statements.

TDIs are expected to have only a 90,000 mile lifespan?
If true, this is truly a sad state of affairs.

My '11 JSW is the first foreign car I have purchased in 35 years and it appears I'm likely to regret it. An average American gasser with good maintenance can easily double that 90,000 mile lifespan. If fact, a major component failure like engine or tranny can be remedied with a re-man for about $3K each.
Old January 21st, 2012, 18:32   #2423
lsnover
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmako View Post

TDIs are expected to have only a 90,000 mile lifespan?
If true, this is truly a sad state of affairs.

My '11 JSW is the first foreign car I have purchased in 35 years and it appears I'm likely to regret it. An average American gasser with good maintenance can easily double that 90,000 mile lifespan. If fact, a major component failure like engine or tranny can be remedied with a re-man for about $3K each.
I think this phrase is coming off a slide that attempts to show the environmental economies of diesel vs. gas. I really don't believe VW purposely designed this car to only run in the 90 to 100K mile range. That would be absurd. Customers would be fleeing in droves. Certainly not a good strategy if your aiming to be the #1 maker of cars in the world.
Old January 21st, 2012, 18:38   #2424
pknopp
Veteran Member

Quote:
TDIs are expected to have only a 90,000 mile lifespan? If true, this is truly a sad state of affairs.

My '11 JSW is the first foreign car I have purchased in 35 years and it appears I'm likely to regret it . An average American gasser with good maintenance can easily double that 90,000 mile lifespan. If fact, a major component failure like engine or tranny can be remedied with a re-man for about $3K each.
Because around 1/2 of 1 percent have had this problem? Even if it doubles to 1% do you think it's inevitable that you are likely to regret your purchase?
pknopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 19:28   #2425
madmako

Default Let's Hope You're Right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsnover View Post
I think this phrase is coming off a slide that attempts to show the environmental economies of diesel vs. gas. I really don't believe VW purposely designed this car to only run in the 90 to 100K mile range. That would be absurd. Customers would be fleeing in droves. Certainly not a good strategy if your aiming to be the #1 maker of cars in the world.
Of course, you're probably right. Why manufacture a diesel engine whose reputation is reliability and longevity, since its inception, and then reduce its life to half that of a conventional gasoline engine by design.
Old January 21st, 2012, 19:41   #2426
madmako

Default Time to leave this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsnover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because around 1/2 of 1 percent have had this problem? Even if it doubles to 1% do you think it's inevitable that you are likely to regret your purchase?
Snip from "Niner": If those aren't enough defects to keep folks away from buying one of these, perhaps $3400 turbo failures, $6000 DSG failures, $1800 mechatronix failures, and who knows how much to replace a diesel particulate filter failure.

While you're correct with the statistics, it's still difficult to read this thread with objectivity and confidence in VoA. Some long time TDI veterans, like Dwiesel, have moved back to gassers. From "Lubricity, Lubricity, Lubricity" to Gasser, Gasser, Gasser.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:06   #2427
pknopp
Veteran Member

If in 180,000 miles I have to replace my DSG, I'm not taking it to the dealer for a $6000 repair.

I've always liked wagons (likely from all those years riding backwards as a kid). The last wagon I had was at the other end of the spectrum. A 1994 Caprice wagon. 350 LT-1. If you read about them you'll see they are noted for the 4L60e going out of them. The tranny was originally designed for lighter cars.

Mine eventually did. 165,000 miles. I didn't take it to the dealer and spend whatever it was they would have charged. $3000? I bought a used one.
pknopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:57   #2428
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec and too many ALH Beetles!

Quote:
Snip from "Niner": If those aren't enough defects to keep folks away from buying one of these, perhaps $3400 turbo failures, $6000 DSG failures, $1800 mechatronix failures, and who knows how much to replace a diesel particulate filter failure.

While you're correct with the statistics, it's still difficult to read this thread with objectivity and confidence in VoA. Some long time TDI veterans, like Dwiesel, have moved back to gassers. From "Lubricity, Lubricity, Lubricity" to Gasser, Gasser, Gasser.
I guess now that the 2nd Generation VW CR engine is out in the new Passat it seems like the changes VW has made are to "fix" the short comings of the 1st Generation engines. I feel that VW rushed the 1st Generation to market without enough R&D on the fuel system and intercooler. Maybe they were concentrating most of their efforts on the emissions system since it had to meet new standards. Whatever the reason there as still thousands of satisfied owners and only a few dissatisfied owners. I can honestly say that I am not a dissatisfied owner........................only greatly disappointed. My wife and I truely loved all the diesel cars we've owned over the years and look forward to owning diesels in the future.BUT for us, now is not the time.

Just some food for thought. Previous MY tdi's run fine on the available US fuel. The 2nd Generation CR engines so far do not seem to be having any fuel system problems. Some 1st Generation tdi's do have fuel system problems with the available fuel. So, is it the fuel or the design?

Hopefully the NHSTA ruling will be to the benifit of the affected CR owners.

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!

Last edited by dweisel; January 22nd, 2012 at 15:14.
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:44   #2429
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

I'd argue that it's the fuel, exacerbated by the design.

Even the VE pumps have been blowing up more often on US ULSD, in ways that they never did before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:34   #2430
FormerOwner
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 city / 48+ hwy

Know what guys...? We've all had 10 Million questions, theories, opinions, etc. WHY DOESN'T VW SIMPLY COPY and/or USE THE SAME FUELING SYSTEMS OF OTHER SUCCESSFUL DIESELS??? It's as if they have no common damn sense anymore... hmm... reminds me of ALGORE.
Current Owner: 2010 F-150 XLT SCREW 4x4; 2013 VW Passat TDI SE 6M; 2005 Toyota Camry LE
FormerOwner is offline   Reply With Quote