Buying a used TDI FAQ -- please add

henners

TDI
golf
Hello!

Thank you very much for this very informative post. I'll be sure to use these tips when purchasing my first TDI!

acesneights

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI auto 2dr
Maybe this was posted already and I missed it but here's two things I missed on the one I just bought. Open the glove box. That seems stupid but mine is broken and it's a 125$ for a new one.
Make sure you get the opportunity to start the car ice cold. The slimeball I just bought mine off had the car runnning when I looked at it. Now after it sits overnight the glowplugs only come on for a 1/2 a sec.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Make sure you get the opportunity to start the car ice cold. The slimeball I just bought mine off had the car runnning when I looked at it. Now after it sits overnight the glowplugs only come on for a 1/2 a sec.
What is the outside temperature? If the computer sees that it's warm enough the glow plug light will only come on for half a second.

acesneights

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI auto 2dr
Cheaper solution: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=342267

As for your glow plugs: probably just a defective coolant temperature sensor... common... easiest time to replace: at the same time as you're replacing your timing belt system, as most of the coolant will be out of the engine when replacing the water pump...

Yuri
yep, exactly what I'm gonna do. I ordered Vag Com too just to have.
It was about 25f this morning. It' not right. There is no way that should cycle that fast that cold and the car is hard to start. I had to cycle it about 5x and then give it some fuel. I thought I was gonna have to do the heatgun trick..

LeighRocks!

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I live in Colorado and definitely have cold mornings. Just bought a used 2003 TDI Jetta for my wife and it is our "lets go into the mountains to go skiing" designated car if the roads do not justify my 4x4. I talked to the service mgr at the local VW dealership and he said he drives one too and does NOT sell a engine block heater, nor does he recommend one. He said just add "Lucas" brand name fuel injector / stabilizer treatment and it will be fine. No problems with fuel or starting so far. I sincerely hope this helps.

haunruh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GOLF TDI/DSG Wagon
Noob .. questions on which year TDI to buy

Hi all. I'm a noob here and to TDIs, and planning on buying a TDI wagon. I was planning on getting a 2010 Jetta TDI wagon but was wondering if the 2011/12 are significantly different and/or better that I should consider a new one (which is the Golf Wagon here in Canada). I've read about the HPFP failure problems so am aware that would be a consideration in the 2010.
I've also read through this thread and also the Buying and Selling TDIs thread and have learned a lot. Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
BTW, to see my real hobby, check out my website: www.harrya.webs.com
Thanks.
Harry :)

Last edited:

OhhMan

TDI
91 or 92 Jetta ?
Hi
Interesting thread but I feel like a cave people with my pre [ I think?] computer 91 freeby [ get it outa here!] Jetta 560K that is a blast to drive although first gear is elusive
Found the source of loose yellow wiring hanging from a pic on youtube so now have heat where and when I want it

still a vacuum hose hanging that I plugged from the firewall- dont know where it goes : its tied under my thumb and from the length seems like it goes over to the engine area-sorry cant upload pic] I already plugged a small yellow vac hose fr heater to a verticle shaft that I know nothing of but heater is better:)
about a 3/8 od vac hose by -+28 in long
cv's are a bit noisy- no tears so needled some lube in but will prob have to deal w them soon
yrs:D

Hello!

Thank you very much for this very informative post. I'll be sure to use these tips when purchasing my first TDI!

Last edited:

Sfkjeld

TDI
2012 Sportswagen 6sp
Sportswagen hunt

Hi. Newbie here. I just spent the last 6 weeks tracking down a late model Sportswagen. It was my wife's idea after speaking to a friend about TDI's. I am kind of a car guy so this seemed a doable proposition. I would track one down, maybe 2yrs old, under 20k. Just like I did with her last Passat Wagons. And when I look, I look. Use Craigslist tools that scan every Craigslist in the Country. Also look thru the other online listings, including eBay. To my amazement, I found nothing reasonable. The 2yr old cars with low mileage were still in the mid $20's. And to my amazement, they were selling. We also wanted a 6sp, since we'd always had manual trans cars. So I finally gave up the search. We bought a new 2012 black on black Sportswagen with the spectacular sunroof from the vw dealer in Scottsdale, Az for around $27k. We flew in and picked it up last weekend and drove it back to San Francisco. What a ball. Got exactly 43mpg the only tankful we put it the car. And that with the AC howling the whole way. Fun car to drive too. Taught suspension and a snappy feel to the transmission. Makes our 2005 Passat Wagon really feel like a station wagon.

maxcap59

TDI
01 Jetta GL TDI Automatic, 02 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic
Getting ready to buy our first (and second?) Jetta TDI(s). I drive @ 60k miles/yr, and am tired of having my cars in the shop all the time. I've heard about the great gas mileage on these cars (especially from 98-03), and look forward to saving a few thousand dollars per year in just fuel. The more I read on these cars, though, I'm even more excited that - if as solid, mechanically, as they seem to be - I won't have it in the shop every month for some kind of repair! Yippee!

I see that proper maintenance is crucial to keeping these engines going, and that won't be a problem for me, as I already make sure to do that kind of stuff. I'd like to know, however, if there are other problems that I need to prepare for - transmissions, suspension systems and other items under the car, electrical problems, AC issues, etc.?

I am looking at buying a 98 Jetta TDI (w/just over 100,00 miles on it), and/or an 03 (w/@ 235,000). The reason I say "and/or" is that, the more I hear about these cars, the more it makes sense to replace my wife's Cavalier at the same time (found a dealer that has both available) and buy them both.

I've never owned a VW before, or a diesel car. Any suggestions/comments from the more experienced TDI owners?

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Getting ready to buy our first (and second?) Jetta TDI(s). I drive @ 60k miles/yr, and am tired of having my cars in the shop all the time. I've heard about the great gas mileage on these cars (especially from 98-03), and look forward to saving a few thousand dollars per year in just fuel. The more I read on these cars, though, I'm even more excited that - if as solid, mechanically, as they seem to be - I won't have it in the shop every month for some kind of repair! Yippee!

I see that proper maintenance is crucial to keeping these engines going, and that won't be a problem for me, as I already make sure to do that kind of stuff. I'd like to know, however, if there are other problems that I need to prepare for - transmissions, suspension systems and other items under the car, electrical problems, AC issues, etc.?

I am looking at buying a 98 Jetta TDI (w/just over 100,00 miles on it), and/or an 03 (w/@ 235,000). The reason I say "and/or" is that, the more I hear about these cars, the more it makes sense to replace my wife's Cavalier at the same time (found a dealer that has both available) and buy them both.

I've never owned a VW before, or a diesel car. Any suggestions/comments from the more experienced TDI owners?
I noticed that you didn't mention the type of transmission in the 98 or 03. In the 99.5-03 run (aka the Jetta Mark IV), the automatic transmission is not as long-lived nor as rugged as the manual. This is generally true of automatics vs manuals, but especially so with the 01M automatic transmission in the Mark IV Jettas.

CoolairVW has developed a valve rebuild procedure to correct the issues with the 01M as much as can be done within reason, with good results, including my first Jetta (2003). Distance to western Missouri could make having him do that work impractical, of course. I believe everyone would generally recommend a manual if at all possible.

You will also get better mileage with a manual, as the hydraulic automatic is a constant, if mild, load on the engine. I believe ~5 mpg difference is expected.

They are very solid, structurally and mechanically. I believe the high safety rating bears that out. You might also, if you haven't already, read the thread titled "My TDI saved my life." One of our members had a tire sidewall failure on the highway, rolled multiple times, and escaped with sore muscles, bruises and, if I recall correctly, a sprain. Solid little 2002 Jetta gave its all in the good fight so the passengers didn't have to.

I know that's a bit different from the kind of solid that keeps you out of the shop, but it's the kind of solid that keeps you out of the morgue, which is pretty cool, too. :)

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
maxcap59,
One big thing to keep in mind is buying a used car in general, and TDI's in particular, can be maintenance intensive, until it gets up to snuff. Having said that, you can find a good used tdi, generally from a club member.

Tony

maxcap59

TDI
01 Jetta GL TDI Automatic, 02 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic
WoodRobin. Sorry, I did forget to mention the trannys on these. They are both 5-speed manuals, so sounds like that is the better choice (which it usually is in most cars). I was just wondering if there were other issues to prepare for, other than the normal maintenance. I practically rebuilt the front end of my 01 Caddy in the past couple of years with new idler arms, ball joints, cv axles, struts, etc., even a new radiator. I'm hoping to avoid those kinds of repairs again. I hate having my car in the shop all the time...and yes, I'd like to stay away from the morgue for a few more years, too...lol.

Tony. The 98 was just serviced completely in April. I called the dealer listed on the CarFax to verify it. All fluids were flushed and filled, brakes were serviced, and timing belt and tensioner were changed. They said the water pump was not changed, as they inspected it and said it looked fairly new already. I haven't checked the service on the 03 to see if the timing belt was changed, at least, but will be doing that.

I didn't think about checking here for used ones. Is there somewhere on the site that lists TDI's for sale? I'll check it out. Most posts I've read here seem to be from people who take pretty meticulous care of them, and that's obviously what I need.

Thanks for the responses.

Last edited:

booksgamesvideos

Troy Heagy troll/alias Banned
TDI
beetle
Checked under front of car for damage to plastic shield there
What does the plastic cover do? Better aerodynamics?
Some of this "advice" in Post 1 and from mechanics seems questionable. (1) Rotating tires is recommended but you don't "have" to do it. I never rotate my car's tires... I just buy new ones when the old ones wear out. (2) A black car in Texas should be avoided because the heat damages seals? I bet if you put a thermometer inside another car (green,red,blue,etc) it would get just as hot. (3) Point: Worry about things that matter like oil sludging and maintenance records. Not trivial stuff. IMHO

Last edited:

haunruh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GOLF TDI/DSG Wagon
Update: I purchased a 2011 Golf TDI/DSG Wagon (same as JSW in US) with only 26,000km (16250 mi), looks and drives like new. So far I'm lovin it!!

BEC Lineman

TDI
2004 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Great article guys.... Thought I would post here before I make a new thread... I'm new to the TDI world but not the diesel world.... I am fixing on looking at this car tomorrow ready to make an offer soon maybe ... What do y'all think about this add

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4512120049.html

I'm not really scared of the miles, 267k on my Cummins.... But the price seems a little high... From the quick reading I have done, seems like the basic and the some major work done. That shops website seems to be a good shop (certified and all, 25 years in business)

What more should I look for? Is this guy blowin smoke about the glorified ALH? Seems like the 12 value of the Cummins world.... Just any info would be nice thanks

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Not a horrible price if it's really as clean as they make it out to be. The miles are a bit high, but the one thing that I would be concerned with is the turbo. If it's the original turbo, it is most likely nearing the end of it's life just from wear. The only way to tell for sure is to wiggle the compressor wheel and see how much play there really is. It's a bit of a PITA getting the clamp off, but it's doable with the car on ramps. TDIClub user runonbeer is in the Austin area so it may be worth your time to contact Robby and see what he thinks.

Also, inspect the suspension to be sure that it has been replaced. That's alot of miles on a VW suspension.

And inspect the camshaft too.

BEC Lineman

TDI
2004 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Thanks Waltzconmingo... i may do that.

Whitedog... thanks i'll try to reach him. I was planing on examining the turbo (didn't know it was a pain getting to lol), the radiator levels, timing belt and leaks and such.
Turn hard both ways, slow and with a little zip
A/c at ideal and cursing
All lights
clutch at stop
e break, and breaks
and listen for knocks

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Turn hard both ways, slow and with a little zip
A/c at ideal and cursing
All lights
clutch at stop
e break, and breaks
and listen for knocks
Can you translate this? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Why are you cursing at the A/C?

BEC Lineman

TDI
2004 Jetta 1.9 TDI
What I was meaning was, testing AC while the truck car is moving at cruising speed and while it's idling to see how well it works both. Do the same with the CV joints. Full turn both ways no popping. Right test parking downhill great neutral see if it's going to roll. That type of thing.

I just drove that car today. It was a really clean car for having 317,000 miles on it. I was really impressed with that. He won't come lower than 4300 which I understand that a lot of time and energy into this car. Have my wife come out look at it to see if it's going to be anything that she wants.

There's another one in Houston that I'm really interested in however it's lowered and I'm not sure how that ride is going to be but that's going to do or anything else the suspension and I can only imagine it would help but feel mileage though. The other thing that car has the first one doesn't his tenant windows and only 190,000 miles five speed.

Boneman

TDI
none
I am new and am looking at buying a used TDI. I found a 2006 Jetta TDI with 177k miles. Automatic transmission. It is from a used car dealer and they say they couldn't find maintenance records. I checked as much as I could mechanically on a test drive. It seems like a really solid car. Engine sounds quiet and it shifts very smooth. My main concern is the timing belt. I have been told it should be changed every 80k miles. They want $4900 but said they'd come down a little since I have bought from them before. Do you think it's worth taking a gamble for that price? Is it difficult to tear into it to check the belt? Does it take special tools to change the timing belt?
Thanks in advance. This would be my first TDI btw.

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
Pre-purchase inspection.
Trusted Mechanics list, see who's near you...

You're not buying a car, you're buying the previous owner (whoever that might be).

Also, CarGurus used cars for price comparison. Maybe car you are looking at is listed on it already. If so it may have vin listed. (Or you can get from dealer)

Then, thrown the VIN into:
https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Volkswagen

This will show any services reported by VW, and perhaps others. You would certainly see services for warranty work. If anything major like the Transmission / DMF replacement or cam then you would know it's already been done.

Take your time.