Need help with a possible purchase.

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
I was browsing the local newspaper and saw a 1999 Golf TDI GLS for sale. It has 61k miles, alloy wheels, and a 6 disk changer in it. I believe it is a manual becasue they say 50+ mpg.
I called and got the wife. Her husband will call me back tonight. She did say that it just started acting up today. She said that they were going to have to get it fixxed. I think it could be a common problem. I will have to talk to the guy. They are asking $8900 obo. I am interested in looking at it. What should I look for? I am a little leary because it is a 99. What about the price? I will post more info when I talk to the guy or look at it.
I wasn't really looking to buy right now but if it is a good enough deal I'll go for it.
Matt

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got off the phone w/ the owner. The car wouldn't start today, he thinks because he let the battery die when he was polishing it and listening to the radio on Saturday. He said that it is in beautiful condition inside and out. It sounded like he always went to the dealer for maintenance and repairs. He said that whenever he went to shop it was like giving them a blank check because they charged so much. It has a glow plug light on right now that he wants to fix before I see it. He is getting 46 mpg city and up to 54/mpg hwy.

Now for the scary part. I asked him if had had any problems with it. He said that the timing belt tensioner went on it at 48k-49k miles and the TB broke. They had a battle w/ VW and they fixxed it under warranty. He said that the car runs beautifuly except the glow plug light is annoying. He seemed honest and said that he owned the car for about 12 months and his son is going to go to college in December and they are using the money from the car to pay for college.

Details- new brakes within 6 months, new battery 7 months ago. New front tires. Black w/ beige interior. No sunroof or heated seats. Manual tranny. 61k miles, 6 disc changer.

What do think it is worth?

He said he wants to get $8500. Do you think it is a good deal for that?

What should I ask him when I see the car on Saturday?

What should I look at or pay particular attention to?

Thanks again and you guys are awesome here. I think it is the best layout of any car owner group that I have seen.
Matt

AlanTDI

Veteran Member
Long Island NY, relocating to Louisiana next week
TDI
1996 Passat wagonTDI, 02 jetta sedan, on the dark side 2017 Rav4
Hi
I have a 99 Golf TDi auto, I brought it with 95000 miles March 2001. Now it has well over 120000 more like 160000, there were some problems with the 109 relay, a wheel hub bearing, MAS of is it MAF? and some other stuff(if you are handy, you can fix most of the stuff yourself, this TDI club is a great help. If you cant afford some repairs, stick to a honda or toyota. but the VW will be a better ride, and the TDi is a great fuel saver. If I had the money I get another one I like the jetta wagon.
good luck with your decision
ps my CEL light is on too, I think its the glow harness
A

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I am fairly handy w/ cars. I have already realized that the TDI club is very helpful. There is a golf TDI that I have seen that is a 2000 w/ 8k more miles on it but it may or may not be in better condition. It is in MA. It is about the same price. I guess I will have to make a decision soon. Any input would be appreciated. Does $8000 sound about right?