Torx Screwdriver

iluvmytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Platinum Grey
Where can I get a Torx screwdriver? Do I need to go to a auto parts store or Home Depot? Just trying to keep from driving all over town. Did a search for it on Lowe's and Home Depot. Nuthin'. btw: I'm putting my splashguards on this weekend!!!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
my local auto parts store sells them in screwdriver form. You should be able to find them at Sears. I prefer the set that fits a socket so you end up with a whole range containing 8 pcs, for example. Some have mentioned that sets are available at Home Depot.

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
Please, go to an auto parts supply, such as Auto Zone or O'Reillys or whatever is in your area. I went to Sears this weekend and looked at a 9 or 11 piece socket Torx Bit set and they wanted $45.00. I found an 11 piece set at O'Reillys for $8.49
Another location and possibly even cheaper than the $8.49 is eBay. I found several bit sets there for $3.97 and only $4.00 shipping. But the O'Reilly's was here and I took it.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sears (on line) has very decent sets for well under $20.

The individual bit or the set should not be that challenging to locate...many of the auto mfgs are now using TORX fasteners...both male and female style.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
Torx bits are pretty common. Torx Sockets are a little harder to come by, and the only item I've found them on (so far) is the ABS control unit.

A 1/4" hex drive set like this is a good investment.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lisle set for $19:

T-10, T-15, T-20, T-25, T-27, T-30, T-40, T-45, T-47, T-50, T-55, T-60 Torx® sockets

click me

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Hey dorf, is that the place that had the great price on the Porter/Cable random orbit polisher you posted about last year?

I thought it was a place in CT or MA but have lost the link.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey dorf, is that the place that had the great price on the Porter/Cable random orbit polisher you posted about last year?

I thought it was a place in CT or MA but have lost the link.
Hi, NYTDI. Good memory. It was Coastal Tool in Hartford that had the jaw-dropping price on the Porter Cable.

I have never done business with the thetoolwarehouse.net but I am sure I will in the future...they have some amazing prices.

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Anybody know where to get "tamper-resistant" torx bits?

My MAF is secured with those... if anyone knows specifically what size that one is I'd love to know.

TIA.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Anybody know where to get "tamper-resistant" torx bits?
My MAF is secured with those... if anyone knows specifically what size that one is I'd love to know. TIA.
._. See "VariantTDI"'s pic above. The Torx bits in that set have the hole in the middle for the anti-tamper nub to fit into. Us grey-haired, broken down, old retired guys MUCH prefer to buy one set to do both types of socket.
Bruce Henderson, Wallace NC

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Ah. Thanks for pointing that out...

A socket set is what I need. Wonder where Dexter (VariantTDI) picked that set up. Looks pretty nice.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I found the same set of torx and anti-tamper screwdriver bits in a tool store in the Waccamaw Pottery Mall @ Myrtle Beach, SC. If we have any members down there, perhaps they would be willing to help. If I recall, under $15.00 for entire set.