Report: Diesel Engine Coming to 2012 U.S. VW Beetle; Would You Buy One?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
As posted here.

A diesel engine will make its way to the options list of the second-generation Volkswagen Beetle, Automotive News reports. The engine is one of a few publicized updates that the automaker has planned for the new Beetle. Others include more backseat room and improved packaging. The second-generation Beetle will appear in the U.S. as a 2012 model.

VW President Stefan Jacoby has called the next Beetle "more of a halo car" and said the brand aims for more sales. As we've reported, the Beetle's U.S. sales peaked in 1999 -- one year after its introduction -- at 83,434 units. Last year, VW sold 24,477 units.

At the 2009 Los Angeles auto show, VW debuted the Beetle Final Edition (pictured), a limited edition vehicle celebrating, as its name implies, the end of the current-generation model run. Final Edition coupes will feature unique Aquarius Blue paint and a black roof, while convertibles will get a two-tone paint scheme with Aquarius Blue and Campanella White, along with a white top and interior. Each of the 1500 units slated for production will be individually numbered and will include a sports suspension, fog lights, 17-in. alloy wheels, the standard 150-hp 2.5L I-5 engine, and a six-speed automatic transmission.

Source: Automotive News (subscription required)

RocketTDI

TDI
2009 JSW, DSG, Reflex Silver, Anthrocitr
VW Diesel Beetle and Up! EV Headed for U.S.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109120823440/vw-diesel-beetle-and-up-ev-headed-for-us
The CEO of Volkswagen America, Stefan Jacoby, has announced the U.S. will receive an Up! EV and a diesel-powered next-generation Beetle.
While little is known about the Beetle, the Up! EV will likely be a production version of the E-Up! concept. As you may recall, the E-Up! is a pure electric vehicle with lithium-ion batteries. Packing a 60 kW (40 kW continuous) electric motor, the E-Up! accelerates from 0-50 km/h (31 mph) in 3.5 seconds before hitting a top speed of 135 km/h (84 mph).
If the Up! name sounds familiar, Volkswagen recently unveiled the Up! Lite concept at the Los Angeles Auto Show. It featured a 0.8-litre two-cylinder TDI engine, with 38 kW (51 hp) and 120 Nm of torque, and a 10 kW (14 hp) electric motor. Boasting a combined output of 48 kW (65 hp), the Up! Lite had an average fuel consumption rating of 2.44 liters per 100km (equivalent to 96.4 mpg).
The Beetle will go on sale in 2012 (the diesel variant will arrive later) and the Up! EV will be launched in 2014.

brtdiluv

TDI
06 jetta silver
If I was in the market for a 2 door car, or a third car then I would consider it. I love my 06 TDI Jetta. If I could, I would buy a Mini D right now though.

Brian

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
i dont understand why BEETLE gets 2.5 L engine and puts out only 150 HP, while that same engine in a Rabbit/GOLF puts out 170 HP. can someone please break it down?

Demon_Beetle

TDI
98 NB TDI,04 Golf TDI,15 Golf TDI
I had a '99 Beetle TDI. Loved it. It seemed larger inside than my Passat. The 125hp (Chipped) was great. I averaged 48.9mpg with a high of 63mpg (915miles) on 14.5 gal. If I hadn't of been cheap and took the car to a shop in Hampton Va where they cross threaded the transmission bolts while changing the Flywheel and Clutch. I would still have the car now.

I wonder if a Beetle S Turbo is in the mix.

I would love to have a Demon Beetle again.

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
don't care if it is a chick car. according to tony dinozzo the jetta is a chick car also. how many of us have one? if the top goes down:) we might get one. need a price first.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
If it doesn't lose space in the back due to IRS like the Golf did... I'd buy the damn thing to replace my '00 GLX Bug. But... this is VW... so they'll screw something up.
If a diesel Tiguan gets here first... or by some miracle the Amarok....they'd probably get my dough.

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
My NB TDI is getting closer and closer to 400,000 km, they better have a replacement ready for me before i hit 800,000 :D

kleine deutsche Autos

TDI
'09 Jetta
The short answer... YES!!!

The not-so-short answer... I miss my '00 NB GLS and am convinced that I made a HUGE mistake when I traded it in for the MINI. I test drove an '09 NB while car shopping earlier this year and was NOT impressed. I found the clutch and shifter very unresponsive and an overall squishy feeling steering and suspension. (But hey... I'm not happy with my Jetta's suspension either and will be putting a sport suspension in hopefully sooner rather than later) However, if the '12 NB TDI drives anything like my Jetta TDI, I would seriously consider trading the Jetta for another NB. Or, even better... Keep the Jetta AND get a NB TDI!!! :D (5 cars for 2 people is reasonable, right...?)

rme

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Carphuntin_god said:
If it doesn't lose space in the back due to IRS like the Golf did... I'd buy the damn thing to replace my '00 GLX Bug. But... this is VW... so they'll screw something up.
If a diesel Tiguan gets here first... or by some miracle the Amarok....they'd probably get my dough.
If the Amarok (tdi) gets here first I'm selling my Lexus and the 95 toyota to buy one....:)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
If the next-gen New Beetle TDI looks like a Porsche Carrera and drives like a Porsche Carrera TDI, then I might be interested.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
And now for the REAL question, to you over the pond:

Would you prefer the 2.0TDI w/ 140hp and decent mpg, or the 1.6TDI with 105hp and mind-boggling mpg (60+ is achievable IMO)?

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Not a chance.. unless

TDI Vert is available... otherwise... NO FREEKIN WAY.....

This is like Home Alone 3 I'd drive an up before I'd venture into the next Aztec....

SwimmerDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW 6MT
apaterso said:
:D Still a chick car:D
Easy there, mate. My first TDI was an '02 Beetle. It's a little-known piece of trivia that the Beetle was/is the best-handling TDI, due solely to its shorter wheelbase. Tight, tight corners !

The Beetle is also one of the _very_ few cars that can comfortably fit people 7' (feet) tall. The front seat area is massive.

SwimmerDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW 6MT
rme said:
If the Amarok (tdi) gets here first I'm selling my Lexus and the 95 toyota to buy one....:)
If you need it, you need it, but the way VW is marketing this thing screams "masculine insecurity".

LeicaBob

TDI
White 2009 Jetta Clean Diesel, pure beige, 17 inch Avignon wheels, 6-speed auto tiptronic, power sunroof, sport & protection kit
Yes

Would definitely buy one if they offer it in the ragtop.

Altho the NB convertible's a great fun car, it only gets 29 on the road with the top down, even keeping the hammer to only 55 mph.

A TDI would make for some economical road trips.

Some high schoolers just had to tell me the bug was a girl car. Shoulda hit 'em with my purse :D

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Even heard that the new Beetle will have a rear end that might look more like a Porsche 911...rumor at dealership.

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
RomanL said:
i dont understand why BEETLE gets 2.5 L engine and puts out only 150 HP, while that same engine in a Rabbit/GOLF puts out 170 HP. can someone please break it down?
That's a good question.

Will the sports suspension, fog lights, 17-in. alloy wheels, the standard 150-hp 2.5L I-5 engine, and a six-speed automatic transmission get better fuel mileage than my 2001?

Also, if it isn't easily capable of accepting biodiesel, I don't want one.

I really enjoy my New Beetle and it's 1.9 ALH engine! I am especially proud of my great fuel economy. I'm double proud of my engine's performance and endurance. I'm tripple proud I can run biodiesel without any problems or modifications. It's a tripple play, to me!

I liked the New Beetle so much, my daughter and I bought one the same day. We both love our beetles.

97TDIStu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Premium
brtdiluv said:
If I was in the market for a 2 door car, or a third car then I would consider it. I love my 06 TDI Jetta. If I could, I would buy a Mini D right now though.

Brian
Yes, but that's a big and wishful "if", since the Mini D is not sold in the U.S. and when and if it does come here, it might be sold with the 2litre BMW diesel in it which only gets 40+mpg and not the 60+ mpg that the European version already gets.

Just wait for the Up! and hope they make it available in the "lite" version with the .8 litre 2 cyl diesel hybrid here in the U.S. 96 mpg would really be something and it would revolutionize the industry and market overnight.........But let's not hold our breath.

Last edited:

panzer

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf 2Dr, 6M, & Sunroof
Wolfskin:

To answer your question, I'd prefer the 1.6TDI. 105hp is over twice what i had in my '89 Jetta diesel. I've driven a '96 Passat wagon TDI and was happy with it's performance.

wolfskin said:
And now for the REAL question, to you over the pond:

Would you prefer the 2.0TDI w/ 140hp and decent mpg, or the 1.6TDI with 105hp and mind-boggling mpg (60+ is achievable IMO)?

solarmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Beetle TDI, Vanagon Syncro with front and rear lockers, non viscous coupler, with decoupler waiting for a TDI swap
I lifted my "00 Beetle TDI 3", chipped and injected it and I love it. Took it out to my favorite forest road today. With 4" of snow it climbed every rocky hill, got through the deeper stuff and never complained. It pulls my trailer and hauls my firewood. I use it for doing home energy adits and drive it all over Central Oregon, ice and snow included. It's more than a car its also a tool. 180,000 miles and Still going.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
panzer said:
Wolfskin:

To answer your question, I'd prefer the 1.6TDI. 105hp is over twice what i had in my '89 Jetta diesel. I've driven a '96 Passat wagon TDI and was happy with it's performance.
Stock PD was 100hp, just chip it and 1.6 would very nice.

booty

Veteran Member
Current mileage is much worse than

my 2000 Beetle TDI I sold after six years. I ended up buying a Nissan Altima because by the time you calculate all the costs it was a better deal than a Jetta TDI. It looks to me like the current TDI Jetta gets 15 to 20% worse mileage on average than the ALH model. Just not acceptable.
If a new Beetle or Jetta had a mileage optimized engine and would reliably get near 50mpg on a trip like my 2000 Beetle did I would reconsider. I buy a diesel for mileage first and power second, if I wanted power I'd buy a Corvette.:(