www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old February 17th, 2020, 16:34   #1
eagle
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta
Default Paddles - trying to figure this out

Hi, all.

I have a 2013 Jetta w/ keyless start, and the steering wheel has audio controls on the left side. A buddy has a wheel from a GTI DSG that I'd like to install on mine, but it doesn't have audio controls. The wheel he has is a 5K0 419 091.

I don't care that I'd be losing the audio controls; I assume that my car would need to be reprogrammed that it no longer has those controls.

Without pulling off my wheel, is there any way to know whether this wheel will work on my car? Based on searches here, it looks like there's no guarantee that my car will have the connectors for the paddles, but it also looks like that's a pretty easy solder job.

Anybody have any experience swapping your car's steering wheel for one only paddle controls?

Thanks.

Last edited by eagle; February 17th, 2020 at 16:37.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2020, 17:04   #2
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

pull the airbag and look at the airbag locking tabs. if the same it should work. just a matter of programming. no solder. so your mfd is controlled through the stalk? because you cant put any side controls on a wheel that didnt have it. the molding is different. if he has the airbag as well it will work. i could put a the connectors are the same for the wheel.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2020, 18:13   #3
eagle
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineChaos View Post
pull the airbag and look at the airbag locking tabs. if the same it should work. just a matter of programming. no solder. so your mfd is controlled through the stalk? because you cant put any side controls on a wheel that didnt have it. the molding is different. if he has the airbag as well it will work. i could put a the connectors are the same for the wheel.
Yes, my MFD is controlled through the right stalk.

I need new stalks installed anyway, so maybe I'll just see if the shop can install this GTI wheel when they do that, and hope for the best.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2020, 19:09   #4
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Yes, my MFD is controlled through the right stalk.
I need new stalks installed anyway, so maybe I'll just see if the shop can install this GTI wheel when they do that, and hope for the best.
then its all coding. if you have vcds you could do it yourself. But you need to make sure the clock spring is the right one. It should be, but i am not sure if there is a different part number, i know that the wheel will have the correct module. my dad put a wheel on his sportwagen. we have both audio and mfd controls, his new wheel had that plus paddles. all he had to do was activate it in coding.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote