www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 15th, 2018, 09:30   #1
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Unhappy Poor PaTuDi

The B4V (affectionately named PaTuDI) was rear ended by a Ford Transit van on the freeway last night in commute traffic. Totally his fault, he was distracted by road rage with an idiot in the next lane and slammed into me, accelerating from 3-4 car lengths back to who knows how fast. If I had to guess based on damage and my level of soreness this morning, I'd say 30 mph.

So now the fun begins of estimates and comps to decide if she's fixable or not, and to decide about buying her back (engine's great, just ask Matt!), etc.

Last edited by MarsBar; June 15th, 2018 at 12:47.
MarsBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 17:24   #2
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Ouch..sorry to hear of another one rear ended like that. Friend just north of where I live was in the mountains behind a car on the highway that was stopped sight seeing and he got plowed into as well.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2018, 06:23   #3
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Yikes.... just so I’m understanding this properly, the dude was raging at someone else, so he rammed you?

Glad to hear you’re somewhat ok, but that’ll be totaled in the eyes of the insurance company.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2018, 11:14   #4
lisab4
Veteran Member

Hope she can be fixed!
Old June 16th, 2018, 20:23   #5
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Dude was road raging at someone in the next lane, didn't realize traffic had started moving again, the other guy took off and he (I'm guessing) didn't want him to get away so hit the gas. His buddy with him prob yelled about the stopped traffic but it was too late. Guessing he was doing about 30mph to my 0. All I could think was "Here it comes".

Visible damage is bumper, each rear quarter panel, and the wagon lid. I'm crossing my fingers that with comps from 5.500-7,850 it'll end up being fixable.

My upper back and shoulders and wrists are pretty sore, but that's it.

Last edited by MarsBar; June 16th, 2018 at 20:25.
Old June 17th, 2018, 13:45   #6
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Did you seek medical treatment? Whiplash comes to mind. It'll be totaled, they won't base it on comps, they'll go by book value. You can fight to get the most you can, buyback probably be around $500 or so. If it didn't screw up the axle and suspension and if the lights work, take the money and motor on with it,just won't be as useful... I am the other guy received a ticket, as insurance company will want police report and witness statements. Even when I had witness when lady made left in front of me and she admitted fault to her insurance company, her company was giving me and my company a hard time.....
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 24k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 100hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 423k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter and oil bypass, and a few other goodies....
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2018, 13:48   #7
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, some duct tape and zip ties you'll be good as new.... I'm surprised the hatch glass didn't shatter....
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 24k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 100hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 423k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter and oil bypass, and a few other goodies....
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2018, 09:20   #8
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Hubby drove it home without issues. Amazing, the thing is a freakin' tank! Only thing he heard was something rubbing (thought it was the muffler, but it had a mufflerectomy when we bought it). The lights all work, not so much as a crack in the glass.

I texted my chiropractor/massage therapist asap and saw her the next day. Aside from being "out" and some pretty good knots in the muscles, no injuries. Follow-up this Friday. Definitely sore, but that's it. Only time I'm nauseous is when I look at my car.

NADA high retail book value for the car is $5,500. Five for sale on CraigsList, one here, median price is $6,500. We just had the body tidied up, any cancer removed, new windshield, and a full repaint 18 months ago, new clutch 2 years back, just did the TB and one wheel bearing, not a rip or tear or wear spot anywhere on the upholstery, carpet's always had floor mats over.

As they say, forewarned is forearmed, so I'm getting prepared to go against the other guys' insurance. Will try to get it to our body shop for an estimate this week, and push to use them since they're trustable.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by MarsBar; June 21st, 2018 at 13:41.
Old June 18th, 2018, 14:28   #9
lisab4
Veteran Member

Find a new trunk lid and bumper, or one in a scrapyard. Should be very repairable
Old June 18th, 2018, 15:53   #10
MarsBar
Veteran Member

First hurdle cleared -- the body shop hubby used for work in the trucking industry is in the insurance's network for commercial paint/body so the adjustor had no problems with me wanting to use them for my car.

Now we cross our fingers that the estimate is under the cutoff % for totalling and the value isn't low-balled.
Old June 18th, 2018, 16:26   #11
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

If you're determined to keep the car have the body shop work with the adjuster to get the payout as high as possible without totaling the car, and pay the difference between the claim and the repairs. That way you'll get a reasonable amount of money towards the repairs and no salvage title.
Old June 18th, 2018, 20:46   #12
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Good suggestion. Hubby knows the owner, main supervisor, and has dealt with the admin for a number of years, so I'm cautiously optimistic about the numbers working.

Last edited by MarsBar; June 21st, 2018 at 13:48.
Old June 21st, 2018, 13:59   #13
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Well, my optimism is sinking fast. I got into the back of the wagon via the p/s door last night to remove stuff before it goes to the body shop today for an eval. The ill-fitting wagon floor liner (hubby got at a wrecker) was raised up from what I assumed to be the wagon door being shifted in & up. When I lifted it & looked under, I realized the entire floor of the wagon is buckled upward a good 3".

I am no longer optimistic, instead heartbroken that she's not going to survive. This is the first car I ever learned about, researched, narrowed down to this specific model & year, shopped for, found, and negotiated all on my own. Hubby answered questions as a big rig diesel mechanic if he could, but that was it. Getting her was my project from start to pink. We've had her 2 months shy of 10 years. The first couple years were tumultuous, putting right the things that were misrepresented as done, learning about the 1Z, and fixing the things that wear out after a few hundred thousand miles. Once those were done, she was a solid & reliable car for many years. A ground issue and the IP wearing out gave us fits for awhile there, then she was great again. The name PaTuDI is a take-off on hubby's nickname for me: Sweet Patootie. Just never thought she'd end her life like this.

Thanks for letting me go on and get emotional about an inanimate object. Car folks get it.

Last edited by MarsBar; June 21st, 2018 at 15:03.
Old June 21st, 2018, 14:21   #14
lisab4
Veteran Member

Can't it be straightened? I understand how you feel. I feel the same about mine.
Old June 21st, 2018, 15:02   #15
MarsBar
Veteran Member

As far as we can tell, the frame isn't damaged. The labor is what's going to be the killer. That buckle in the floor is going to be nasty, since the spare tire compartment is right there. Even if they can find good quarterpanels/door/bumper, the labor to cut the old out & weld in the new and paint them all to match would probably fly past the % of repair to value that will total her.

Lisa, where in Belgium are you? We have friends in Kortrijk, Waregem, and Wevelgem.