www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 9th, 2018, 19:20   #1
Maillemann
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55/61/65
Default B4 Sedan replacement fuel tank straps

I recently replaced the fuel tank straps on my '96 Passat, which were completely rotten (one had broken previously). I had searched here on the forums for a definitive source for replacements, but found no satisfactory answer, so I'm passing along what I discovered.

For whatever reason, every domestic search for these parts I did only ever turned up two straps, not the three I needed, so I went through the Spectra Premium catalogue and found what I thought would work based on the measurements of the existing straps. While not listed for this application (they're supposedly for the Corrado), they certainly do fit. These are Spectra Premium ST202, which also includes the fastening bracket. They're only $30-40 shipped.

You'll undoubtedly want new bolts as well, and these are M8-1.25x20

Last edited by Maillemann; June 9th, 2018 at 19:43.
Maillemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2018, 21:38   #2
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

That's interesting that those fit, on RA that set is listed as fitting the Mk3 cars, Corrado 90-91, Cabrio / Cabriolet.

I'm tempted to buy a set and test fit them on the B3V and if they don't I'll set them back for use on my Mk3 when / if the time comes.

Thanks for the heads up, they are inexpensive.

I know that the VW parts catalog only lists two for the B3/B4 even though there are actually three straps in there. Why such a blatant mistake I do not know.

It will be interesting to see if they fit the wagon.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that RA lists some for Passat too, at least for the 94 cars, but like the VW catalog it's only two straps and not the three.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.

Last edited by Steve Addy; June 10th, 2018 at 21:43.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2018, 15:01   #3
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

The reason only two straps are listed is because one of them is used twice, therefore it has the same part number. That's good to know they're still available in some form.

The sedan and wagon straps are not the same, the wagon straps are exactly 4" longer than the sedan ones at one end

W386 took some older but still serviceable ones I had to a local fabrication shop and had new ones made from stainless steel, they were $100 for all 3. They're very beefy and will easily outlast the car.

In the picture below, the sedan ones are on bottom and the wagon are on the top, both fit perfectly.

Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 08:23   #4
Maillemann
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55/61/65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
The reason only two straps are listed is because one of them is used twice, therefore it has the same part number.

That may be the case in terms of PNs, but every listing I found via auto suppliers and even Spectra's "correct" listing (ST406) indicates TWO straps only, and they are clearly different in shape from the proper fit. In another thread on this subject a link to a VW dealership even shows a complete fuel tank assembly with only two straps.

I assume sometime back when, the wrong info was listed somewhere and it has been propagated through the various catalogues, but that doesn't help us much now.

There are some proper straps on eBay.de, but they're 200 EUR shipped, which is why I dug around elsewhere.

Maillemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 10:40   #5
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maillemann View Post
That may be the case in terms of PNs, but every listing I found via auto suppliers and even Spectra's "correct" listing (ST406) indicates TWO straps only, and they are clearly different in shape from the proper fit. In another thread on this subject a link to a VW dealership even shows a complete fuel tank assembly with only two straps.

I assume sometime back when, the wrong info was listed somewhere and it has been propagated through the various catalogues, but that doesn't help us much now.

There are some proper straps on eBay.de, but they're 200 EUR shipped, which is why I dug around elsewhere.
That is the problem I was trying to emphasize, the VAG catalogs I have access to only show two straps and they don't say you need two of the one type. Spectra is in the same boat, the B4 kit they make only includes two straps, not the three that are necessary, and in addition they list the ST-406 kit as applicable to both sedan and wagon, which we know to be incorrect.

The reason that the ST-202 kit fits the B4 is because 1) the OP's car is a sedan and the Mk3 straps measure so close to the B4 kit that it works. At least based on the Spectra measurements they are very close.

I have told Spectra that their kit 1) is missing one strap and 2) it cannot work on both sedan and wagon. We will see if they do anything about it. They probably won't pay any attention to this but then again maybe they will.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote