www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 11th, 2010, 06:11   #31
WINDSORB4TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): LOOKING
Fuel Economy: 65-75MPG (01 Insight)

Last weekend I decided I would see if I could do something about the missing clear coat on the A to C pillar.
This is what I was working with:

Luckily a local parts store sells custom mixed spray cans and I was able to get a few cans of Windsor Blue Pearl Metallic.
Here it is after sanding and applying the white primer required for this color:

And here it is after applying the color:

It turned out pretty good considering I did the work, and the color is a perfect match. In a few weeks, ill be able to wetsand and buff it once the paint has finally cured.
Next is tackling the roof, which is much much worse!

I also wetsanded and polished the headlights while I was at it.
Before:

After:

It's slowly coming along. The previous owner cared about the maintenance of the mechanicals but not the appearance, so I have some catching up to do.
Vince
WINDSORB4TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 08:16   #32
4x4toy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.5 mpg

Installed my Hella E-codes this AM, cant wait for it to get dark out side so I can adjust them.
Old September 11th, 2010, 09:07   #33
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Evry Modded this morning! Tolerable has gone to "decent".

950 ohms for me... might try just a little lower...

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 21:03   #34
dieseljunkie
Veteran Member

Windex, what color is your car? Who sells custom color spray can paints?
Old September 11th, 2010, 21:22   #35
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 @ 65 & getting better...

You will really enjoy the better light and see stuff that you never knew it was there!
Then, you will want more light(yes, this is also called MODDING)!

I got mine glass lenses with better bulbs and still I want more light...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4toy View Post
Installed my Hella E-codes this AM, cant wait for it to get dark out side so I can adjust them.
bikeprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:30   #36
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

I have ecodes on order...can't wait to get them. Driving country roads with yellowed plastic is not fun!

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:46   #37
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljunkie View Post
I dunno what the colour is called, but it's bluey grey:

I also went and got a custom colour spray-bomb, The one up here is a car-quest auto parts. I found them by talking to a local body shop. They will take your colour-code and mix up a can.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!

Last edited by Windex; September 12th, 2010 at 06:53.
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 07:49   #38
Mcgink
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljunkie View Post
Try paintscratch.com I haven't tried them yet but it looks like they use the paint code and the VIN to mix the paint for you.
Mcgink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:43   #39
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
I dunno what the colour is called, but it's bluey grey:

I also went and got a custom colour spray-bomb, The one up here is a car-quest auto parts. I found them by talking to a local body shop. They will take your colour-code and mix up a can.

It's called "Storm Grey"
B4V, 2.0L w/ BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Girdle, 11mm, GTB1756vk, RC6, PP764s, .622 5th, Colt Cam II, Ecodes W/leveling motors & Euro switch, fog lights, Koni Yellow, Cat FF, Whitbread 2.5" DP, exhaust, FMIC
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:38   #40
BolaB4V
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's to over 50 hwy..

Napa mixed a spray can of single stage Magic Black for the B4 last year. I could' of got two stage but for ease and durability went with single. Looked fine but was 14.00 pr can. Im just trying to keep up with the rust cheaply at this point so trying an alternative product route this year.
Im in the process of putting the fr.clip on today but the bumper and hood I have is Windsor blue so went to W-M and got some 3M wet /dry assortment paper and picked up 3 cans of Rust-oleum dark gray Automobile PRIMER and 3 (33% more cans/16oz.) Rust-Oleum gloss black ...all cans were $3.97 ea.. also went to Napa and bought a bottle of Prep-All
(Qt. size-smallest they had 7.00 /enough for years to come) to wipe parts down before and after sanding. Lastly and not leastly...a spray can of Locktie Extends rust
nuetralizer from Lowe's , never used it before but heard good things about it, so another 7.00 lighter.
total < 50.00
BolaB4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 01:19   #41
4x4toy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.5 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeprof View Post
You will really enjoy the better light and see stuff that you never knew it was there!
Then, you will want more light(yes, this is also called MODDING)!

I got mine glass lenses with better bulbs and still I want more light...

I am waiting to get a quote from http://www.eurowires.net/ so I can get the full potential from them.
Old September 17th, 2010, 17:21   #42
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Today...
1) Welded the bushing box on the clutch pedal closed. Properly set the bushing on the clutch pedal...will put a brief write-up together, later this weekend.
2) Replaced the right side washer arm. The old one had a slightly weak spring that wouldn't allow the Icon wiper blade to properly wipe the window.
3) Replaced a lost bolt on the skid plate.

Glad to have the clutch pedal feeling back to normal and glad to have the car back on the road. I like driving my truck...hate paying the fuel bill!

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
Old September 17th, 2010, 17:55   #43
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Fixed Eric's "fuel suppy" problem on the 97 Passat. He's been struggling with it for a week. One time it primes and starts normally, the next time won't start at all. He's changed fuel filters, fuel lines, and bled the system multiple times to no avail. Still an intermittent problem.

Couldn't figure out what was wrong today when I finally looked at it. No fuel whatsoever from the inectors despite everything primed. Start thinking IP bad when a thought occurs to me.........

"Does your glowplug light come on when you turn the key on", I ask. "No" is the reply. Examine the relay panel, and find several loose relays including 109. Intermittent contact is the culprit. Push relays back in, and she primes and fires right up!

Apparently he kicked the relay panel when he had to panic stop to avoid the car that pulled out in front of him. Since then, has had intermittent cutouts until the "fuel" problem.

We'll be putting the underdash panel back in place. Size 12 feet are hard enough to drive the Passat without inserting them into the relay panel.

Last edited by paramedick; September 17th, 2010 at 17:58.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 20:11   #44
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Bruce, good find!

Glad to hear Eric's car is back on the road, reliably!

Tony