www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:28   #16
BolaB4V
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's to over 50 hwy..

Had two rims I bought from a member installed and all wheels balanced.
Tires rotated, steering wheel almost dead, tracks without pulling. Mechanic said that a front rim was out of wack but the two on the front now are dead on. He just got a new balancing machine
...got to look under the carriage and He said My LCA's are good but have a fwew holes in the straight pipe from vcat back. Wonder what it woulod be to have a pipe run from the cat back in a solid pc.
BolaB4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:41   #17
surfbus
Veteran Member

Passenger side inner CV boot the other day, i'm still finishing it up today. Major PITA !! Hopefully we never have to do it again.

Door handles 139$, headliner 500$. No camshaft, balance shaft or high pressure fuel pump issues to repair... priceless!
surfbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 19:18   #18
BolaB4V
Veteran Member

Ordered oil filter and new thermo tee. This weekend I hope to 3m tape the passat badge I bought to the rear gate...has been missing for some time.
Old September 4th, 2010, 21:34   #19
twentyeight
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1Z & ALH
Fuel Economy: Personal Best: 57mpg

Loaded it up with all my belongings and moved to a condo

The B4V is a surprisingly capable vehicle... The big stuff fit in a trailer which the wagon pulled great.

It's times like this when all the work that was put into the car pays off.
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:36   #20
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Put my dashboard back together as I put metal tape over the holes in the blend plate in my HVAC. Royal pain going that far into my dash. Everything is okay except that brace above the passenger airbag that has to be held in place by hand before the screws go into it. Since it has no support from any other part of teh dash, I had to get another member of the family ot hold it in place while I aligned it and put the first screw in it.

Since everything was taken apart to free up the movement of the dash, I took the opportunity to detail everything as well.
Old September 5th, 2010, 20:15   #21
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 @ 65 & getting better...

WOW! Tell us about the labor that it took you for the job, mine NEEDS the plenum fixed as well!

I am dreading it, like replacing the rear shocks AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
Put my dashboard back together as I put metal tape over the holes in the blend plate in my HVAC. Royal pain going that far into my dash. Everything is okay except that brace above the passenger airbag that has to be held in place by hand before the screws go into it. Since it has no support from any other part of teh dash, I had to get another member of the family ot hold it in place while I aligned it and put the first screw in it.

Since everything was taken apart to free up the movement of the dash, I took the opportunity to detail everything as well.
bikeprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 20:53   #22
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

I didn't do my rear shocks, I had someone else do them for me

It's not that bad. I did it over the course of three days since I was cleaning and detailing each piece and the fact that it was over 100˚F outside during the day. I'm a guy who likes wearing shorts when it's in the 50's .

I suggest the complete removal of the dashboard for sanity's sake, especially if you are doing this with a one man crew. In order to get the dash off, you need to remove the steering wheel and the stalks for the wipers and turn signals. It's fairly straight forward.

I don't know about other instructions already posted, but there is a frame that hold the flap on over the passenger airbag. You do not need to remove this frame. It'll give you problems if you try and put it back on (the top three screws that go into a mount I talked about earlier) with the dashboard inside the car. All you need to do is remove the three screws that hold the cover flap down, swing it up, and disconnect the wires from the holding loops in the back of the dash itself.

If you have been inside your dash before, you'll find this whole process fairly easy, but lengthy due to how long it takes to unscrew and screw back every screw . If you have a good spacial memory, it should take you about 9 hours or less. I took longer because I had the time, and I wanted to fiddle with how the wires were arranged for future access.
Old September 6th, 2010, 18:01   #23
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

I'm not looking forward to doing the heater core and door foam combo.

I've done a heater core on a B3 before, not too bad, but I slid the dash rearward and squeaked it out the top. If the HVAC box goes, so much for that, ze whole dash must be excized...

Today's list of what I wanted to get done:

Install keyless entry module
Install Trailer hitch
Install center flex section in exhaust.

In order:
Need two relays, must wait
Didn't get done
Brother borrowed my sawzall, so I put this on hold

What did get done:

I finally finished my homebrew pop-tester!

I've been meaning to test the spray pattern and primary breaking pressures on the SMOG .205's I installed last week, all was good. Next week, I'm getting the sawzall back, so the flex section in going in.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:51   #24
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 @ 65 & getting better...

1. Washed the dirt/zoot off the back,
2. installed new P.S. belt and re-worked one of the mounting bolts for the P.S. pump(both bolts broke, earlier attempt by paid mechanic broke E-Z out IN bolt!). Made bridge with existig bolt hole and new hole, now it does not clatter and feels quite solid!
3. took DOG food out of bottom of rear seat :-)
bikeprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 16:41   #25
ed mocz
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1997 Passat
Fuel Economy: 52 best, 50 avg

Replaced a cracked intercooler, new fuel filter, new vac lines, cleaned grounding points under the battery and installed new window regulator. Next up is the headliner and antenna. Had a furlough day today, so I thought it would be a good day to catch up on the maintenance on the b4.
ed mocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:31   #26
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Installed a SBC Stage 2 Endurance clutch (formerly Stage 3), pressure plate, and bearing. New basepan gasket, new rear main seal, new pass drive flange gasket, changed oil and filter (OEM filter for a '98 1.8T and Mobil-1 5W-40 TDT oil), changed tranny fluid (used Amzoil 75W-90 GL4 again). Test drove and all seems well right now, shifting is smooth and clutch pedal is lighter than the LUK clutch I removed. I hope everything stays good for awhile.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 17:49   #27
BolaB4V
Veteran Member

Took the front clip off the B4 to get at the radiator fan belt. ..managed to get my hand between the rad and shroud once everything was out of the way. Reinstalled the belt that fell down between the two sections cause the one I ordered was a little too big (said for a B4 when I ordered it but too loose).
Old September 10th, 2010, 19:24   #28
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

IIRC, there are 3 versions. I'll have to look in the morning at my spare for the PN.

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 05:10   #30
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooyajerms View Post
Put the wagon on an enclosed trailer and sent it to Whitbread in Ohio.

Yes I will be picking it up.
Dayum! Fly into CVG and I'll see about picking you up (if work permits) and taking you to Lima when it's done.

Delivering the 1996 Passat to the new owner this morning. She's going to live in Missouri.